Reinsdorf makes money off Cubs network

Moan4Yoan

32 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

WOW! just added Marquee yesterday.

Crap...thanks for the bad news Moan.  Yet they still won't carry TruTv so I miss some 1st round March Madness...but I digress.  

Any news on them signing Kaplan? 😁

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Per Crane Kenney on The Score 670 this morning with Mully and Haugh, the Marquee Network uses Stadium Network for alternative sports programming, which Reinsdorf owns.

Did they say if it is truly a JR ownership or the White Sox or Bulls ownership groups that own it? Just curious, as they are all distinctly different groups.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Anyone with YouTube TV can make the switch to Hulu TV. I'm pretty sure it will be on there. Too busy to look it up at the moment though.

They said in an earlier release that Hulu will carry it but not until closer to the regular season. They said way but I don't remember what it was.

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Crap...thanks for the bad news Moan.  Yet they still won't carry TruTv so I miss some 1st round March Madness...but I digress.  

Any news on them signing Kaplan? 😁

Wegner:

As you have WOW can you determine how much more $ you are being charged on your cable bill for this?

Is it a stand alone addition or did they add the "scrub network"  to a sports tier package and force you to pay for it as part of the sports tier package? 

Any insight is appreciated.

35 minutes ago, 59th street said:

Wegner:

As you have WOW can you determine how much more $ you are being charged on your cable bill for this?

Is it a stand alone addition or did they add the "scrub network"  to a sports tier package and force you to pay for it as part of the sports tier package? 

Since it is news to me as of today, I do not know yet.  I will look into it with them and see if I will be getting charged extra.  I have a pretty basic package currently and sometimes they just add channels without charging extra ie. they added BBC America last year but my bill did not change.

When I know more about this changing my bill, I will get back.

47 minutes ago, 59th street said:

Wegner:

You lit a fire under me 59th street...I just called customer service at WOW and the young lady told me there was no change in premium at this time to add the Marquess of Queensberry network.  Hopefully it stays that way.  Hell I would prefer a discount for having another channel that I have to actively avoid.

10 minutes ago, wegner said:

You lit a fire under me 59th street...I just called customer service at WOW and the young lady told me there was no change in premium at this time to add the Marquess of Queensberry network.  Hopefully it stays that way.  Hell I would prefer a discount for having another channel that I have to actively avoid.

I would be watching the next cable bill like a hawk because "no charge" sounds unlikely.  Maybe because you have some kind of super premium package it is just "included"  but then how is anybody making any money ?

I also agree with you that they should be paying us to allow that dreck onto our sports package. 

Thanks for the follow up.

5 minutes ago, 59th street said:

I would be watching the next cable bill like a hawk because "no charge" sounds unlikely.  Maybe because you have some kind of super premium package it is just "included"  but then how is anybody making any money ?

I also agree with you that they should be paying us to allow that dreck onto our sports package. 

Thanks for the follow up.

👀

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

From what I understand, the problem is the Cubs built bottom clauses into all their current agreements with things like Hulu. What that meant is if the Cubs went out and gave a better offer to Comcast - because they have more leverage and control 90% of the Chicago Market - they would, in turn, have to offer that same rate to Hulu and other providers. This means that the Cubs are in a tough spot, because Comcast has the leverage because they control the market but the Cubs don't want to reduce their guarantees they've already gotten from other providers. Crane strikes again... and there's Jerry in the background, picking up a couple extra bucks as a shrew business man.

Name calling is not pretty...you are better than that Ray...no reason to call the man a Shrew 😎

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

Did they say if it is truly a JR ownership or the White Sox or Bulls ownership groups that own it? Just curious, as they are all distinctly different groups.

Crane Kenney literally mentioned JR’s name in relation to ownership of Stadium.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

I know someone that was laid off by Stadium late last year. I was told that the reason their staff was cut in half was because JR sold his controlling shares of the company. Sinclair supposedly is the majority owner of the company now. So Jerry has little to no involvement with Stadium at this point according to my friend's understanding.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

On 2/28/2020 at 12:07 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kenney always makes things worse; he basically said youtubeTV isn't happening during his interview today. So no youtubetv and no comcast lol. The Cubs are going to lose themselves fans because they're so damn greedy.

I absolutely loved them telling fans to call Comcast and complain, and to switch to hulu; as if it's the fans job to follow the Cubs broadcast to the one place that has it, and it's not the Cubs job to assure all fans have access. The tone deaf shit coming out of North Side of the city is absolutely hilarious. They spent 800,000,000 on area upgrades, and millions and millions on starting the network, but they don't have enough money to keep their best player and they don't care if you can watch their games. 

I will not pay one dollar extra to Commiecast for the Cub. The Ricketts Wrigleyville development did precious little for the average fan. I remember fans saying the grandstands were going to be rebuilt. It was a 1% plan the whole way. 

Edited by pcq

On 2/27/2020 at 9:36 AM, SouthWallace said:

You mean to tell me there isn't enough Cubs content to fill a 24/7 regional sports network?  GASP!

Most of the time, NBC Sports Chicago airs infomercials, mid-major college sports, American Ninja Warrior, poker, fishing and hunting shows, and other sports programming that is unrelated to the three teams whose games actually  air on the channel.  Big Ten Network has FOURTEEN teams, and they still air a ton of weird stuff.  What is Marquee going to air in the winter months?

On 2/27/2020 at 11:45 AM, Moan4Yoan said:

Ultimately, is Dodgers viewership or sales down because a major cable provider doesn’t carry Dodgers games?  They are still making money hand over fist via Spectrum.

If Comcast signs on for Marquee, which they probably will eventually, all of this will be forgotten.

It took Comcast a year to come to an agreement with Big Ten Network.

Comcast is one of the monopolies in the country that has gotten out of control. I'm not sure how long to it will take for people to demand that the government not only increase regulations on them, but start to break them up so consumers can benefit from real marketplace competition.

I wanted to limit the control that Comcast had on my billing and services (especially since they are the ONLY broadband cable choice where I live)  so I decided to only use Comcast for high speed internet and then to use Hulu Live TV for things like cable news,  Sportschannel, etc.  Then I found out that Comcast owns Hulu.   I guess I may switch to YouTube TV . They are a subsidiary of  another monopoly, Google, but I think they have MLBTV in their standard package.

The Cubs have basically doubled their regional broadcasting rights revenue from $66 million to $132 million...

That said, does potentially losing many of those fans on Comcast, YouTube.TV and Dish Network justify it?

According to The Athletic, the “Cubs were looking at a year-to-year increase of less than 10 percent in rights fees in 2020 when you included their share of NBC Sports Chicago profits (and I assume all the costs of setting up the network) into the conversation.”

So a 10% increase in profits to piss off, what, at least half of Chicago???...if you count Sox fans who don’t want to pay extra for the Cubs (since NBC Chicago is still charging the same as previously), Cubs’ fans themselves and then non-sports fans who also don’t want to pay an extra $4-8 per month.

Edited by caulfield12

On 2/27/2020 at 12:43 PM, ptatc said:

Stadium is a joint venture between Sinclair and Silver Chalice Ventures. SCV is a subsidiary of the ballclub, with Brooks Boyer serving as CEO. 

On 3/2/2020 at 12:53 AM, tray said:

Comcast is one of the monopolies in the country that has gotten out of control. I'm not sure how long to it will take for people to demand that the government not only increase regulations on them, but start to break them up so consumers can benefit from real marketplace competition.

I wanted to limit the control that Comcast had on my billing and services (especially since they are the ONLY broadband cable choice where I live)  so I decided to only use Comcast for high speed internet and then to use Hulu Live TV for things like cable news,  Sportschannel, etc.  Then I found out that Comcast owns Hulu.   I guess I may switch to YouTube TV . They are a subsidiary of  another monopoly, Google, but I think they have MLBTV in their standard package.

Hulu is majority owned by Disney and NBCUniversal (Comcast) has agreed to sell their remaining shares by 2024? I believe. 

On 2/27/2020 at 9:16 AM, BFirebird said:

I heard that interview as well.  Even though it is the Cubs, I am surprised Crane Kenney keeps coming on to face the music of Cubs not being on Comcast yet.  Unfortunately for them, I think they will have to cave and give the terms that Comcast wants unless they want to go past Opening Day.

@BFirebird look at your PMs.