MLB Final Roster Options out of Spring Training

Minoso-Pierce-Allen-HOF

Guys lay off the italics guy. We all know that everyone comes to this site looking for his analysis and responses. I for one, run to every post and search and search for his thoughts. Once I see italics, I know that I have found the gold mine.

Edited by Orlando
  • Haha 2

Thank you Orlando.

Your comments are appreciated.

With the price per ounce of gold going up it is unfortunate that everyone on Soxtalk can't reap the increase in value.

2020 may provide dividends for all who watch the White Sox.

This will be the most intriguing team since 2006 and if everything looks right and injuries are kept to a minimum the starting nine will likely hit more than 200 home runs this season.

Starting pitching is the key to long term success.

Lopez and Cease out of ST.

Gonzalez, does he have something left in the tank even if it is only five innings.

Kopech presumably coming soon.

Rodon too but may end up in pen for the time being. 

Note-if Madrigal starts at AAA-Charlotte both Mercedes and Delmonico could make ball club out of ST giving team 14 position players and 12 pitchers.

Then again they could pick one and add another pitcher such as the to date disappointing Carson Fulmer with one last stop.

His ball just does not move.

This season he has gone away from his goggles and he is teetering on being claimed by another club unless he opts for Japan.

Nice kid who works hard but the numbers and success of lack thereof has not translated at the MLB level.

A change of scenery might do him well.

Again, thank you Orlando for the respect and kind words.

I would hope the wanting of clarity is well intended by those who object to style over substance and if observations do not match those of every reader.

This is why there are differences of opinion and one size does not fit all.

My suggestion is to think clearly and try to choose words that are insightful and that others may gain perspective from.

All my best.

I enjoy M-P-A for his thoughts and insights.  He obviously gives his posts a lot of thought and effort.  The italics thing bothers some of you guys more than it should... IMO.  When I started on the forum I used all caps when I started a topic.  Several people told me they found it annoying...I stopped doing it to keep peace but thought it was not necessary to attack like some do.  Those of you who don't like the length of M-P-A 's posts, use of italics or double spacing should have said what and why it is bothersome.  The snarky attacks aren't necessary.  The forum frequently attacks and makes the poster feel his thoughts aren't respected.  We are all WS fans...we have 29 other teams fans to fight with.

• Like 1

I think we see Gio (Don’t need 5th start til mid April) and Fry start out on IL 

26 man roster

~13 position players- 9 starters, 4 bench 

~13 pitchers- 4 starters, 9 bullpen

RHP- Colome, Cishek, Herrera, Marshall, Cordero, Fulmer, Guerrero 

LHP- Bummer, Mejia or Lindgren for last spot out of need for another lefty 

let Heuer and Burdi get more AAA innings though both deserving of MLB spot

Last spots on roster appear to be between Mejia, Lindgren, Guerrero, Collins 

thoughts?

Edited by Fuagman

Barring weather problems, they’re going to use a 5th starter in the 5th game on March 31st. They still say Gio Gonzalez will be ready. 

Anderson, Moncada, Abreu, Grandal, Jimenez, Encarnacion, Robert, Mazara, Garcia

Mendick, Engel, McCann, Mercedes

Giolito, Keuchel, Lopez, Cease, Gonzalez 

Fulmer, Fry, Cordero, Marshall, Herrera, Bummer, Cishek, Colome

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 1:40 PM, Minoso-Pierce-Allen-HOF said:

Thank you Orlando.

Your comments are appreciated.

With the price per ounce of gold going up it is unfortunate that everyone on Soxtalk can't reap the increase in value.

2020 may provide dividends for all who watch the White Sox.

This will be the most intriguing team since 2006 and if everything looks right and injuries are kept to a minimum the starting nine will likely hit more than 200 home runs this season.

Starting pitching is the key to long term success.

Lopez and Cease out of ST.

Gonzalez, does he have something left in the tank even if it is only five innings.

Kopech presumably coming soon.

Rodon too but may end up in pen for the time being. 

Note-if Madrigal starts at AAA-Charlotte both Mercedes and Delmonico could make ball club out of ST giving team 14 position players and 12 pitchers.

Then again they could pick one and add another pitcher such as the to date disappointing Carson Fulmer with one last stop.

His ball just does not move.

This season he has gone away from his goggles and he is teetering on being claimed by another club unless he opts for Japan.

Nice kid who works hard but the numbers and success of lack thereof has not translated at the MLB level.

A change of scenery might do him well.

Again, thank you Orlando for the respect and kind words.

I would hope the wanting of clarity is well intended by those who object to style over substance and if observations do not match those of every reader.

This is why there are differences of opinion and one size does not fit all.

My suggestion is to think clearly and try to choose words that are insightful and that others may gain perspective from.

All my best.

You seem like a polite intelligent baseball fan who writes with a calm demeanor and style of a bygone era. , That's all I really need to give you respect. The same people that complain about italics are like crazy little old ladies. Who cares ? Its a stylized fond easy enough on the eyes and readable. If it's annoying time to check your blood pressure if things of minor consequence are truly bothersome. Why do such things even need to be attacked ? Why is different bad ?

• Like 2

I think we see Gio (Don’t need 5th start til mid April) and Fry start out on IL 

26 man roster

~13 position players- 9 starters, 4 bench 

~13 pitchers- 4 starters, 9 bullpen

RHP- Colome, Cishek, Herrera, Marshall, Cordero, Fulmer, Guerrero 

LHP- Bummer, Mejia or Lindgren for last spot out of need for another lefty 

let Heuer and Burdi get more AAA innings though both deserving of MLB spot

Last spots on roster appear to be between Mejia, Lindgren, Guerrero, Collins 

thoughts?

Fulmer may have a shot as his spring has been his best.   Guerrero will not make the club.

As for Mejia or Lindgren either could have a shot considering Fry has not pitched this spring.

Remember with the new three player a pitcher must face and the fact that the Astros had all RHP and no lefties on the club.

Collins will likely be at AAA-Charlotte working on his defense.

If a LH bat is on the bench at this point it would look like Delmonico who is a battle with Mercedes for the 26th spot.

Why the club would need 13 pitchers so early is up for debate.

Then again at this point is looks like they want to give Fulmer one more perhaps last chance.

Perhaps 86ing the googles might really help him.

Heuer has a wicked release point with long arms making it challenging to pick up the pitch.

We shall see with Burdi who has never been on or healthy as his numbers in MiLB have been disappointing to say the least.

Another Lousiville this time starter also out of Illinois is Reid Detmers who might just be the Sox first pick in the MLB draft.

Unless he gets bumped up which is possible.

Team needs a LHP prospect and he is very good with a curve comparable to Frank Tanana's.

Thanks for your comments.

Barring weather problems, they’re going to use a 5th starter in the 5th game on March 31st. They still say Gio Gonzalez will be ready. 

Anderson, Moncada, Abreu, Grandal, Jimenez, Encarnacion, Robert, Mazara, Garcia

Mendick, Engel, McCann, Mercedes

Giolito, Keuchel, Lopez, Cease, Gonzalez 

Fulmer, Fry, Cordero, Marshall, Herrera, Bummer, Cishek, Colome

Pretty thoughtful projection.

Fry has not pitched this spring.

Madrigal will be coming.

Kopech will be coming.

If healthy so will Rodon.

All in good time.

Here's the comments of Jose Contreras that will bring a smile to the reader's face.

From NBC-Chicago and Chuck Garfien.

Jose Contreras on White Sox: 'This team is ready to win the World Series'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You seem like a polite intelligent baseball fan who writes with a calm demeanor and style of a bygone era. , That's all I really need to give you respect. The same people that complain about italics are like crazy little old ladies. Who cares ? Its a stylized fond easy enough on the eyes and readable. If it's annoying time to check your blood pressure if things of minor consequence are truly bothersome. Why do such things even need to be attacked ? Why is different bad ?

Thank you for the comments.

For all the discussion about launch angle there is limited review of the work of the best player of the past decades who is/was Barry Bonds.

Bonds is the one player who really understands that hitting the ball on the fat part of the bat is key so he chokes up on the bat and yet he hit more than 700 home runs.

Too many players today just strike out too much and are seemingly unaware of what is needed in a two strike situation.

Look today at Juan Soto who is a throw back changing the position of his body, hands and feet depending on the count.

6 hours ago, Minoso-Pierce-Allen-HOF said:

I think we see Gio (Dont need 5th start til mid April) and Fry start out on IL.

I was thinking they could open with 4 man rotation, Gio in pen for however long until we need a 5th starter (to have 8 relievers) and then open with 5 man bench temporarily. But looking into it, they actually do need the 5th starter to open the year.

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

I was thinking they could open with 4 man rotation, Gio in pen for however long until we need a 5th starter (to have 8 relievers) and then open with 5 man bench temporarily. But looking into it, they actually do need the 5th starter to open the year.

They have an off day on the 27th wouldn't Giolito be piching on his normal schedule on the 31st?  They have another off day on April 3rd and another on the 9th.  In theory you could push back Gonzo until April 4th or 5th I'd think.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They have an off day on the 27th wouldn't Giolito be piching on his normal schedule on the 31st?  They have another off day on April 3rd and another on the 9th.  In theory you could push back Gonzo until April 4th or 5th I'd think.

He would be but you have to consider everyone else. Off the top of my head, you have the second or third starter on 3 days rest the second time through the order.

Regarding this alleged issue of being sued.

Unless I am unaware Soxtalk is not a commercial enterprise.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Second the article and it's source and author were referenced.

So please explain what is being referred to regarding what I believe one is considering plagiarism or some such violation which of course this is not.

If you would explain the reasoning for this I am all ears to the basis of said claim.

Use and sharing of said information and article should come under 'fair use' and being used for 'educational purposes'.

And no one here is selling said information for any commercial consideration.

Much appreciated for the basis for the alleged violation.

Regarding using a direct link versus copying article and referencing it's source and author which comes under 'fair use' and 'educational purposes' I enclose the link.  If there is a distinction for the rational for this I would appreciate being educated on something I would like to learn about.  

Again, thank you.

Respectfully submitted.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/jose-contreras-white-sox-team-ready-win-world-series

13 minutes ago, Minoso-Pierce-Allen-HOF said:

Regarding using a direct link versus copying article and referencing it's source and author which comes under 'fair use' and 'educational purposes' I enclose the link.  If there is a distinction for the rational for this I would appreciate being educated on something I would like to learn about.  

Again, thank you.

Respectfully submitted.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/jose-contreras-white-sox-team-ready-win-world-series

Here is your answer under “2. Permitted Uses”:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/content/terms-service#content

You may not either directly or through the use of any device or other means copy, download, stream, reproduce, duplicate, archive, distribute, upload, publish, modify, translate, broadcast, perform, display, sell, transmit or retransmit the online services or Content unless expressly permitted by NBCUniversal in writing.”

• Like 1

Let me put this very clearly. Posting entire articles on a message board isn't for "educational purposes", nor is it "fair use". Websites get sued for this, and this page will not be one of them.

This is not up for discussion.  This is not a dialogue. This has been, and will continue to be the policy at Soxtalk. 

ANY more posting of materials in this matter will lead to an immediate and permanent revocation of posting privileges on this page.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Let me put this very clearly. Posting entire articles on a message board isn't for "educational purposes", nor is it "fair use". Websites get sued for this, and this page will not be one of them.

This is not up for discussion.  This is not a dialogue. This has been, and will continue to be the policy at Soxtalk. 

ANY more posting of materials in this matter will lead to an immediate and permanent revocation of posting privileges on this page.

my man!  gonna be a good year dude! and uh, if i get to 151K posts can I get the group thinker tag?

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Minoso-Pierce-Allen-HOF said:

So you are saying that posting a link is allowable?

Most of the internet is for non-commercial purposes and this sure appears to be related to 'fair use' and 'educational purposes' but if this is the stated policy of Soxtalk as I asked for and was given an explanation.

Much appreciation for your explanation.

The link is okay but posting the entire content (i.e. article) is not, unless you and/or SoxTalk has written permission from NBCUniversal.

Edited by Moan4Yoan