Y2Jimmy > National Reports (Moncada extended 5 years)

Just now, almagest said:

It could make sense. He has the best year of his career and he's still relegated to backup. I don't know if he's going to start anywhere else except on a bad team, though.

I'm still of the opinion that it is a mistake to trade him...unless someone overpays which is highly doubtful imho.  A quality backup catcher is very valuable in a long season for a team pushing to make the playoffs so he is most likely more valuable to the Sox than what they will get in return.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wegner said:

I'm still of the opinion that it is a mistake to trade him...unless someone overpays which is highly doubtful imho.  A quality backup catcher is very valuable in a long season for a team pushing to make the playoffs so he is most likely more valuable to the Sox than what they will get in return.

I would agree. I also don't know if teams are going to overpay for a catcher with bad framing, mediocre overall performance and a couple bad months last year. Seems prime for regression.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think I got thrown off by the 9 year report because was still thinking this would come in around 120-130.

This isn't that cheap, but also not expensive. It's a deal you don't have to sign, so really glad they pulled it off.

It's actually quite cheap....15 AAV...that's a 2 WAR player. Moncada just had a 5 win season. Even with regression to 4 or even 3.5 there's alot of surplus value there

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How is it an awful deal?

I actually don't know why people think that either. It's a nice deal for the Sox, but it's a fine deal for Moncada as well. 

Anthony Rendon just proved you can get paid at 30. If Moncada is as good as we all think he is he's going to get paaaiiid after this one. 

That being said, I can't believe they got this done for under $100M. 

Kudos to Hahn, and it speaks to the culture that everyone wants to stay and win together. It seems that winning as a group is more important to these guys than getting paid now. Actually, they get a little of both. 

Very glad to be wrong on this one. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's just to not use latino/latina - as to not imply sex. I think it's stupid too, but don't want you to take it the wrong way either.

I'm not taking it the wrong way. I just thing its stupid. Latino is in reference to the race and community not just one gender

Moncada just guaranteed himself another 70 million - if he's good, it's 90 million.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don’t want to go too overboard because the Sox haven’t won anything yet and that’s the most important thing, obviously. 

With that said, the “culture” they have built over the last few years, the media coming out from Sox Camp of Abreu mentoring the younger guys, Anderson becoming a national star, and just the team seeing to love being around each other....all of it has just come together so nicely and I truly believe it’s having an affect on negotiations, guys actually want to play here, with this core, and be apart of something special. 

That has to be one of the hardest things to do in sports, and it’s happening. Well done, Rick. 

Yes, I always want to hesitate before citing an un-quantifiable metric like "clubhouse culture" because it's really hard to actually know... but this off-season has made it incredibly clear that these guys like each other, and they really appreciated the Abreu extension. It's another thing that fans can get up in arms about because they felt he was "overpaid" but it's part of managements job to assess other impacts that we may not see... they appeared to gamble CORRECTLY on the Abreu narrative and impact. 

For that, I will forever appreciate Jose Abreu. It's really hard to be the alpha among athletic alpha's; where everyone respects you so much that they change how they approach their jobs and futures. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

It's actually quite cheap....15 AAV...that's a 2 WAR player. Moncada just had a 5 win season. Even with regression to 4 or even 3.5 there's alot of surplus value there

but he's not a free agent. He'd be considerably cheaper than 15 AAV in all likelihood for the next 4 years of the deal. The sox were already getting surplus value during his control years (though maybe not much in arb 3). So they are increasing the cost for the next few years in order to get additional years of control at a reasonable price for those years.

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How is it an awful deal?

I actually don't know why people think that either. It's a nice deal for the Sox, but it's a fine deal for Moncada as well. 

Agreed.  He was probably going to make like $30M the next four seasons.  Now he's guaranteed $70M over 5.  Seems pretty good to me.  

Edit: 2020: $600k, arb1: $6M: arb2: $9M; arb3: $15M

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, bmags said:

but he's not a free agent. He'd be considerably cheaper than 15 AAV in all likelihood for the next 4 years of the deal. The sox were already getting surplus value during his control years (though maybe not much in arb 3). So they are increasing the cost for the next few years in order to get additional years of control at a reasonable price for those years.

Yeah, he could have possibly gotten more but he's now banked 100+ million dollars before his age 31 season and if he's that good, he'll bank another contract after that. 

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Jesus you’re a wet blanket sometimes. You’ve spent legit years talking about how this “window” could close early because of Moncada and Giolito leaving early and having to chase the market, and when Moncada signs an extension...this is your response to the news? 

Sometimes?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Agreed.  He was probably going to make like $30M the next four seasons.  Now he's guaranteed $70M over 5.  Seems pretty good to me.  

Is he hurt? Seriously, like this contract and this statement are what I'd expect if people knew he had just blown out his knee. In his first 3 arb years, Bryant has mad $42 million, and that's while missing 1/3 of a year with a shoulder problem. If he was healthy, he'd make $50 million+ the next 4 seasons.

• bmags unpinned this topic