Y2Jimmy > National Reports (Moncada extended 5 years)

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Is he hurt? Seriously, like this contract and this statement are what I'd expect if people knew he had just blown out his knee. In his first 3 arb years, Bryant has mad $42 million, and that's while missing 1/3 of a year with a shoulder problem. If he was healthy, he'd make $50 million+ the next 4 seasons.

He's not hurt, come on.  Just be happy they just signed a superstar for 4th starter FA price.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, he could have possibly gotten more but he's now banked 100+ million dollars before his age 31 season and if he's that good, he'll bank another contract after that. 

Right. It's a very reasonable deal, I'm just surprised it got done because there was not much urgency to sign one and this isn't a deal so low that you'd say moncada was just clamoring for a deal, or so high that moncada would feel a lot of pressure to sign it. Just a pretty normie deal. Really impressed this got done, happy for the org and for myself that I get to watch my son watch the same awesome players for his first sports years.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Is he hurt? Seriously, like this contract and this statement are what I'd expect if people knew he had just blown out his knee. In his first 3 arb years, Bryant has mad $42 million, and that's while missing 1/3 of a year with a shoulder problem. If he was healthy, he'd make $50 million+ the next 4 seasons.

Bryant was a super 2, so that makes an enormous difference.  Yoan is making $600k this year.  The most generous arb1 raise would be to like $7M, then arb2 to like $12M, and arb3 to like $18M.  That is $37.5M assuming he's an absolute stud.  Now he's guaranteed $70M over 5. This is not bad for Yoan no matter how much you want to try to spin this negatively.   

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Bryant won an MVP - which escalates arbitration numbers because of archaic arb rules. 

And yes, as a player you have to give up something to lock in a guarantee. That's how it works. Maybe Yoan didn't give a shit about getting an extra 20 million if he stayed healthy and went through the FA process earlier. Maybe he liked it here and didn't care about getting even penny out of his first "contract."

2 words for you: Anthony Rendon. 

He's going to be up for a $250+M contract at the end of this anyway, as long as he's as good as we think he is. 

He has already guaranteed himself $100M+ in career earnings. 

$31.5 to sign

$70-90M  on this one

And probably $250M on a retirement deal at 30. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Bryant was a super 2, so that makes an enormous difference.  Yoan is making $600k this year.  The most generous arb1 raise would be to like $7M, then arb2 to like $12M, and arb3 to like $18M.  That is $37.5M assuming he's an absolute stud.  Now he's guaranteed $70M over 5. This is not bad for Yoan no matter how much you want to try to spin this negatively.   

If he's hurt, yes. The first-year arb salary is now set by Bellinger who just went in at $11.5 million - that's the going rate for a near-MVP in the first year right now. That's a raise from $600k

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right. It's a very reasonable deal, I'm just surprised it got done because there was not much urgency to sign one and this isn't a deal so low that you'd say moncada was just clamoring for a deal, or so high that moncada would feel a lot of pressure to sign it. Just a pretty normie deal. Really impressed this got done, happy for the org and for myself that I get to watch my son watch the same awesome players for his first sports years.

By far the best part about it; as a kid, it's awesome to know guys will be around and you can buy their jersey, support them, root for them and follow them throughout your entire childhood. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

This deal is great for the White Sox but I bet the Player's Union is going to be pissed at Moncada.

For the sake of a ridiculous comparison, imagine if he signed an Ozzie Albies-type contract. The MLBPA has to absolutely hate that deal.

If he's hurt, yes. The first-year arb salary is now set by Bellinger who just went in at $11.5 million - that's the going rate for a near-MVP in the first year right now. That's a raise from $600k

Moncada would not have gotten $11M in his arb 1 season unless he won an MVP in 2020.  

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

2 words for you: Anthony Rendon. 

He's going to be up for a $250+M contract at the end of this anyway, as long as he's as good as we think he is. 

He has already guaranteed himself $100M+ in career earnings. 

$31.5 to sign

$70-90M  on this one

And probably $250M on a retirement deal at 30. 

It'll be hard for him to get a $250 deal at 30 years old - even if he is a stud. 

2 minutes ago, sj91 said:

For the sake of a ridiculous comparison, imagine if he signed an Ozzie Albies-type contract. The MLBPA has to absolutely hate that deal.

Albies was exploited and taken advantage of by his agency because they wanted to sign an extension before he switched agents. Those agents, I don't believe, can't negotiate deals anymore in MLB. 

This is nothing like Albies. Albies was robbed.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Moncada would not have gotten $11M in his arb 1 season unless he won an MVP in 2020.  

Yeah, and there's this guy in the AL... what's his name? Oh yeah, Mike Trout. 

Hard for Moncada to get the MVP bonus when he is going to have a really hard time winning an MVP with MT in the AL.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, and there's this guy in the AL... what's his name? Oh yeah, Mike Trout. 

Hard for Moncada to get the MVP bonus when he is going to have a really hard time winning an MVP with MT in the AL.

I would have bet alot of money that Moncada would have been closer to $6M than $11M in his arb1 season.

Edited by ChiSox59

• bmags unpinned this topic