Sign in to follow this  
Look at Ray Ray Run

Y2Jimmy > National Reports (Moncada extended 5 years)

"Moncada says his new agent was the first to contact the White Sox about a possible extension around two weeks ago." 

Sorry if this was posted already. An interesting take from Boston going back to the Sale trade.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Sarava said:

Sorry if this was posted already. An interesting take from Boston going back to the Sale trade.

But Moncada had a 60% K rate (in 20 PAs).

Edited by Dam8610
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2020 at 2:58 AM, ptatc said:

Last off season when the Sox didnt sign Machado then said the money will be spent focusing on their own players. Many posters scoffed at it and repeatedly asked, "when will the money be spent?"

This off season they have signed free agents and their own young players to a total of 336 million, pretty close to the amount that Machado would have made if he met all of the incentives in the contract. It looks like they've spent it. Hopefully, it was spent wisely.

That isn’t exactly an accurate summary.  The concern was also that the Sox would never be willing to sign a top free agent to a $200+ million dollar deal.

On 3/7/2020 at 4:22 AM, Sarava said:

Imagine if we had also gotten back Devers as the third piece over Basabe.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

I thought Benintendi was always the second piece?

Pretty sure it was always

Moncada or Benintendi

Kopech

Devers (Hahn's ask) or Basabe / Diaz

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Quin said:

Pretty sure it was always

Moncada or Benintendi

Kopech

Devers (Hahn's ask) or Basabe / Diaz

I don’t think it was a Devers or Basabe / Diaz.  I think the Red Sox straight up rejected Devers ad the third piece and Hahn countered with a “I’d at least need Basabe & Devers” to get a deal done.  I really don’t think that Hahn ever thought those alternatives were of equal value.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think it was a Devers or Basabe / Diaz.  I think the Red Sox straight up rejected Devers ad the third piece and Hahn countered with a “I’d at least need Basabe & Devers” to get a deal done.  I really don’t think that Hahn ever thought those alternatives were of equal value.

I believe this is correct.  There was a great article that walked through step-by-step how the trade went down.

EDIT:  I think this is the article:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2016/12/10/how-chris-sale-deal-came-about/y54iJcIAj4vtbDvRb8LLLP/story.html

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 2

reading the comments from Red Sox fans about that article....🍿

Every Red Sox fan that I talked to right after the trade loved  it.  Bob Ryan of the Globe was on ESPN, and he said he liked it, partly because they kept their best prospect (in Ryan's opinion) in Devers.  A year from now we can all evaluate the trade, but it looks good for our side.

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

Every Red Sox fan that I talked to right after the trade loved  it.  Bob Ryan of the Globe was on ESPN, and he said he liked it, partly because they kept their best prospect (in Ryan's opinion) in Devers.  A year from now we can all evaluate the trade, but it looks good for our side.

It's great for the Red Sox (won a WS with Sale, wouldn't have otherwise).  And it looks good for us as well.  A true win-win

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

It's great for the Red Sox (won a WS with Sale, wouldn't have otherwise).  And it looks good for us as well.  A true win-win

The trade looks like a win win for sure.  The sale extension is the bad part for the Red Sox 

• Like 2