Who will be our closer by mid-season

Capital G

Colome is not looking good this spring and was not looking good towards the later part of the season.

I think he has earned being OD closer but I have a feeling he wont be by mid-season. 

I think Cishek will be, but man.... how awesome would it be if Burdi became our closer after all he has been through.

• Like 1

I’d still put my money on Colome.  I’m not going to let a few Spring Training appearances change my perspective.  Yes, his second half was bad, but that seemed like regression to the mean to me and I fully expect Ricky to give him a pretty long leash this year.  If he does struggle, I think Bummer becomes the guy.  Burdi is a fun watch right now, but he’ll need to prove himself in AAA first and will likely be eased into low leverage situations once he hits the majors.  He’s much more a threat for the 2021 closer job IMO.

• Like 1

Colome appears finished and I hope he isn't being looked to. Burdi would be awesome if he can stay healthy...sure looked filthy yesterday. For some reason I'm still holding out hope for Herrera, at least as a late inning option and its conceivable Bummer could end up in that role. 

Barring injury or a trade, it is Colome's job for the season.  However, if Herrera bounces back I could see the Sox turning to him if Colome struggles holding leads.  I think they keep Bummer in the setup role.

Crazy out of the box idea....try Rodon when he's back.

Edited by wegner

On 3/6/2020 at 6:55 PM, wegner said:

Barring injury or a trade, it is Colome's job for the season.  However, if Herrera bounces back I could see the Sox turning to him if Colome struggles holding leads.  I think they keep Bummer in the setup role.

Crazy out of the box idea....try Rodon when he's back.

I wouldn't exactly say his for the season barring injury or trade . Bad performance will certainly be a factor and a team that wants to contend cannot let bad performances drag the team down for too long. Winning does not just happen . and the bullpen needs to be strong and show a lot more depth this year when injuries and bad performances crop up and they surely will. I do like the young arms I have seen this off season from our system .

Colome is toast.

In fantasy drafts, I don't spend $2 on this guy. This will become a big story in the first few months of the season and the bullpen will become a key piece of the managers duties.

From Pitcherlist:

No. 20: Alex Colome (Chicago White Sox)

How does someone with 30 saves, a 2.80 ERA and 1.07 WHIP a year ago end up this low? Well for starters, Alex Colome grades out among the bottom third or worse among closers in every single metric used for these rankings. There’s literally no underlying stat to get excited about with him. As his paltry 22% K rate shows, he lacks any K upside. His .215 BABIP was .64 points lower than his career average and the second-lowest among these closers.

Colome does possess a pretty good cutter (10.9 pVAL) and with the usage at 71% last year (a 16% increase from 2018), it has really become his go-to offering. Colome always seems to outperform his underlying numbers each year and with the White Sox much-improved, Colome might actually stick around past the trade deadline. There’s certain to be some negative regression but if you’re just looking for some cheap, durable saves late in the draft, Colome could be your guy.

38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

At this point, I'm not sure there will be a baseball season. 

Coronavirus is going to be really bad for about the next 6-8 weeks but by mid summer I'd imagine things will have cooled down quite a bit.   In a worst case scenario (like the Mariners are potentially facing) they will just play in front of no fans . 

Mariners will have a hard call in a few weeks if the virus is burning through Seattle.  It's ground zero here in the US and I can say from just walking around this and driving this weekend business is getting hammered.  Mine included.  Just trying to do everything possible to help arrest the spread.  Seattle is being proactive we'll see if other cities are as well.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Coronavirus is going to be really bad for about the next 6-8 weeks but by mid summer I'd imagine things will have cooled down quite a bit.   In a worst case scenario (like the Mariners are potentially facing) they will just play in front of no fans . 

Mariners will have a hard call in a few weeks if the virus is burning through Seattle.  It's ground zero here in the US and I can say from just walking around this and driving this weekend business is getting hammered.  Mine included.  Just trying to do everything possible to help arrest the spread.  Seattle is being proactive we'll see if other cities are as well.

Can't even imagine what G-Rate would look like without fans over-flowing the aisles, upper deck and fan-decks.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Agreed. I think he's gonna be the main in-season acquisition

In addition to Giles, I’ll be watch Brad Hand and Liam Hendricks.

If the Indians are out of it, they could very well trade Hand and start their rebuild early at the deadline. News came out that the org and Lindor suspended contract talks.

The A’s could sell off some rental guys if they fall behind early to Astros and Angels.

And Keone Kela could be interesting but he’s not a closer. 

If the sox are in contention at the deadline I could see a trade for a high level reliever. The sox pen isn't terrible but certainly lacks doninant back end guys, cishek is a decent addition but he seems to be a bit in decline too.

Not saying cishek and colome are bad, they can be decent but it would help to have that closer who strikes out 30+% of his batters faced and a deadline trade ideally for a guy with 2 plus years of control could adress that. Apart from Vaughn, kopech and madrigal almost all prospects of the sox could be available for such a trade or maybe even collins.