McCann Trade Speculation

Chicago White Sox

Now that Fake Steve Cishek has proven to be legit, I think it’s time we take his James McCann trade rumor seriously:

What are your thoughts on a potential trade?  Where could he go and what might we get in return?  Who gets the backup job if he’s moved?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Not sure about potential trade partners, but I’m all for it if we can get a controllable reliever / bench piece or a lower level prospect with some ceiling in return.  I love what McCann brings to the table as a backup catcher, but his value is wasted in a 40 game role.  Again, if a solid return can be realized, then I’m all for Collins being the primary backup and seeing what we have in him. For those saying we’re doomed if we trade James and Grandal goes down, let me reiterate that McCann is gone after the season anyways.  This is a one year luxury at best and I’d rather think long-term here by acquiring an asset with more control while also seeing what we have in a flawed, but highly interesting young player.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not sure about potential trade partners, but I’m all for it if we can get a controllable reliever / bench piece or a lower level prospect with some ceiling in return.  I love what McCann brings to the table as a backup catcher, but his value is wasted in a 40 game role.  Again, if a solid return can be realized, then I’m all for Collins being the primary backup and seeing what we have in him. For those saying we’re doomed if we trade James and Grandal goes down, let me reiterate that McCann is gone after the season anyways.  This is a one year luxury at best and I’d rather think long-term here by acquiring an asset with more control while also seeing what we have in a flawed, but highly interesting young player.

That's what I'm looking for. I mentioned this in the spring training thread, but looking at the Rockies I would love to see us nab Helcris Olivarez. He is not on the Rockies top 10-15, but he is only 19, is left handed (Sox are thin on quality LHP prospects in the system) and has pretty good velocity. He would be a fun follow for me personally. I'll have to dive down the Astros guys, but I wasn't really paying that organization any mind. 

• Like 1

As previously stated, because catching is a position which uniquely requires shared playing time, adequate depth really includes a third option. If Grandal were to get injured, who would be Collin's tandem partner? Mercedes can certainly hit, but can he catch well enough to be a viable option? I don't consider Zavala a good enough offensive, or defensive catcher, to be a possibility. If Mercedes could catch well enough, the Sox could get by without McCann, in the event that Grandal were to lose significant playing time. Catching is such a critical defensive position, that the return for McCann would have to be someone with some real potential. Otherwise, I'd prefer the extra insurance that the current depth provides. It is likely that James will elect to sign elsewhere, next year, but by then the Sox may know more about their catching depth.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Keep him. Grandal wears down seemingly every year.

I'm for this. Unless they feel Collins is fine getting those at bats? I think I would rather see him play every day in Charlotte though and go with Yermin or Seby or go with 3 catchers and have both on the roster.

As for trade speculation, McCann to Astros for trashcan to be named later. 

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

Feel bad for James.  It was probably last year‘s best story.   What a huge success turning that cast-off into one of the top catchers in the game (depending how you see the breakout).  Everything about him was awesome and he earned being our starting catcher for the next 5 years.  I feel really bad for him.  

4 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Feel bad for James.  It was probably last year‘s best story.   What a huge success turning that cast-off into one of the top catchers in the game (depending how you see the breakout).  Everything about him was awesome and he earned being our starting catcher for the next 5 years.  I feel really bad for him.  

5 years?! lol.

I don't see a McCann trade at this point.  If the rumor is true the FO has had all winter to find him a new home and it hasn't happened.  With Grandal banged up this spring, I think McCann sticks around and soldiers on.  The team is better with him on the roster and I dont see the FO weakening a position of strength halfway through Spring Training. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We need to keep James McCann. He might not be as good as he was at the beginning of last year, but he brings leadership and baseball smarts beyond what he does on the field. That makes him a very valuable piece, even off the bench. Remember that run down last year where he covered third and nabbed a guy trying to take an extra base? He's the best backup C in baseball. Keep him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, daggins said:

I don't mind Collins getting ABs, I think he'll be a solid hitter, but him managing the pitching staff full time... not a pleasant thought. Double unpleasant for Mercedes.

Being around Grandal should help in that regard. 

The Sox are in it to win it these next 5 years. If they can get a player back that's gonna help more than 40 or so games probably in the next 5 years, you do it. 

I'd feel a whole more comfortable with another arm in the pen, and if they can get that for James, do it. 

• Like 1

If we trade McCann I would rather keep Collins down to get at bats and work on his D every day vs being in a back-up roll up here. I think we need Collins next year as a DH/C/1b guys once EE and McCann are gone.

I know he cant play D well but why not have Mercedes up as the back-up C? Is he that much worse behind the plate than Collins?

• Like 1

I would say hold on to the luxury for this year and see where Collins is for backup role next year.  Having a guy like McCann adds to your flexibility of using Grandal at 1B and saving his legs while still using his bat.  If Collins shows he improves as a catcher then you might be able to get an even better return near the deadline for McCann for a desperate team.

• Like 1

We absolutely SHOULD trade McCann if we get some reasonable piece(s) back.

This is a guy that prior to last year was terrible. Last year was a clear career year for him and will forever be marked as such. If we can trade his value based on that career year, especially with him only having one year left on his contract, we should 100%. 

It's a matter of whether any other team is desperate at catcher enough to give us a worthy prospect or piece back. 

I'm all for it tho.

We can't sit here and assume Grandal is going to get injured. We can play that all day. What if Moncada gets injured. what if Eloy goes down. Why don't we have back ups to the back ups?

Just trade him and get a good piece back that'll be here 5+ years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No offense to McCann, but thank the lord. Trade him. He's a nice story on a bad season last year.. We've got our main guy for hte next 4 years and we have backups that are good enough to fill the backup catcher role adequately. Buy low, sell high. 

Would love to trade him to the Rockies - never going to get the guy I"m going to name .... but I'd love Garret Hampson :) ... he'd be your super UTIL at 2B (until Madrigal), SS, and OF. I'd throw in a mid-level prospect with McCann to get that done. Hampson is a guy who should be playing 100 games.  

• Like 1

I think people forgot how BAD McCann has been in his career (apart from last year).  If you get a decent piece back, you 100% trade him.  None of us are advocating trading him for a scrub, but if you get something interesting back you do it. It's far far far more likely he returns to being a scrub than he is being who he was last year.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

As previously stated, because catching is a position which uniquely requires shared playing time, adequate depth really includes a third option. If Grandal were to get injured, who would be Collin's tandem partner? Mercedes can certainly hit, but can he catch well enough to be a viable option? I don't consider Zavala a good enough offensive, or defensive catcher, to be a possibility. If Mercedes could catch well enough, the Sox could get by without McCann, in the event that Grandal were to lose significant playing time. Catching is such a critical defensive position, that the return for McCann would have to be someone with some real potential. Otherwise, I'd prefer the extra insurance that the current depth provides. It is likely that James will elect to sign elsewhere, next year, but by then the Sox may know more about their catching depth.

I agree 100% with everything you said.  McCann will get plenty of playing time to keep Grandal fresh.  Collins should be catching full time at AAA and Mercedes would be my 3rd catcher because of his PH abilities.  Only trade McCann to a desperate team willing to overpay for his services.

• Love 1