McCann Trade Speculation

Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, daggins said:

The point being that if Grandal was injured, which isn't some far-fetched scenario, Collins would inherit most of the innings.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I agree 100% with everything you said.  McCann will get plenty of playing time to keep Grandal fresh.  Collins should be catching full time at AAA and Mercedes would be my 3rd catcher because of his PH abilities.  Only trade McCann to a desperate team willing to overpay for his services.

Also it's not far fetched that Anderson goes down and we need to play Mendick full time. Maybe we should trade for Trea Turner as a backup in case. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think McCann returns much, and Collins/Mercedes are more gadget/third catchers, so I'd hold onto him.  McCann isn't going to create a clubhouse stir.  

I do think it sucks for him personality that in his FA year, one year after he gives you an all-star season for pennies, to put him in a serious backup position. I don't want to trade him and I don't think the value we'll get will exceed his value, but it does suck, especially a clubhouse where everyone is getting locked up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do think it sucks for him personality that in his FA year, one year after he gives you an all-star season for pennies, to put him in a serious backup position. I don't want to trade him and I don't think the value we'll get will exceed his value, but it does suck, especially a clubhouse where everyone is getting locked up.

Yah, well...such is life I guess.  Guy was non-tendered by one of the worst teams in baseball 15 months ago.  Sure he had a nice 2019, but it was largely inflated by a great 3 months to start the season, and he was basically the guy he'd always been the 2nd half.  I feel for the guy a bit, but this is the way things go in professional sports sometimes.  He'll be fine.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, well...such is life I guess.  Guy was non-tendered by one of the worst teams in baseball 15 months ago.  Sure he had a nice 2019, but it was largely inflated by a great 3 months to start the season, and he was basically the guy he'd always been the 2nd half.  I feel for the guy a bit, but this is the way things go in professional sports sometimes.  He'll be fine.  

This really isn't true. McCann had a 114 wRC+ in August and a 103 wRC in Sept/Oct. He was awful in July, but outside of July he had a wRC+ north of 103 every single month.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This really isn't true. McCann had a 114 wRC+ in August and a 103 wRC in Sept/Oct. He was awful in July, but outside of July he had a wRC+ north of 103 every single month.

Yah, thanks for breaking it down like that.  Definitely worth noting.  But July lands in the 2nd half, and his 2nd half line was was .226/.281/.413 and his career numbers are .247/.297/.387. 

I like McCann.  I think he makes a fantastic backup that frankly is a bit of luxury.  But there is no point in just punting him off for minimal return.  

1 hour ago, Capital G said:

If we trade McCann I would rather keep Collins down to get at bats and work on his D every day vs being in a back-up roll up here. I think we need Collins next year as a DH/C/1b guys once EE and McCann are gone.

I know he cant play D well but why not have Mercedes up as the back-up C? Is he that much worse behind the plate than Collins?

Yes

• Haha 1

McCann's success last year may not have been the aberration, that some assert. He did make significant changes to his approach at the plate, and they seemed to have paid huge dividends. He probably isn't as good as his first half of last season suggests, but he's still pretty decent. Watching him hit, on a daily basis, demonstrates to me that he has a very sound approach. I like the fact that he chokes up on the bat, with 2 strikes and that he is willing to hit the ball to right field, which is a very desirable practice. It has certainly turned around Anderson's career. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, thanks for breaking it down like that.  Definitely worth noting.  But July lands in the 2nd half, and his 2nd half line was was .226/.281/.413 and his career numbers are .247/.297/.387. 

I like McCann.  I think he makes a fantastic backup that frankly is a bit of luxury.  But there is no point in just punting him off for minimal return.  

I don't want to trade him, but I think he proved that his changes made him a starting catcher last year. 

He had 5 good months and 1 bad one. 5 months above his career averages. 

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't want to trade him, but I think he proved that his changes made him a starting catcher last year. 

He had 5 good months and 1 bad one. 5 months above his career averages. 

And he played without a real viable backup for seemingly all of last year and that has to take a toll on a catcher.

I don't think last season was an aberration, but I also don't think he nets enough in a trade right now to make up for his loss on the roster.  It sucks for him that he's no longer the clear starter going into his FA season-and I feel for him personally there, but he should still get plenty of games in.  

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Capital G said:

If we trade McCann I would rather keep Collins down to get at bats and work on his D every day vs being in a back-up roll up here. I think we need Collins next year as a DH/C/1b guys once EE and McCann are gone.

I know he cant play D well but why not have Mercedes up as the back-up C? Is he that much worse behind the plate than Collins?

We have seen Mercedes catch and most don't like it. But people remember the negative more. Mercedes has a lot of passed balls but then again people forget that so does Grandal. We don't yet know about his framing and I doubt we will know soon although I don't expect it to be good.

In Grandals case it's always possible that passed ball total can come from trying to be too precise with framing, trying to gain an extra inch or 2 leading to a few extra balls deflecting off the glove rather than just reaching to get it.

Mercedes has a strong arm and I saw him take a Madrigal relay throw that was a bit off target and dive across the plate to get the out.

I do think if McCann is traded they still go with Collins  as the backup.

Honest question has Cishek broke any story as either the 1st guy to report a rumor or has he confirmed any deal before any national guy did?  I'm not saying he doesn't have sources but his source could also just be feeding him stuff to see what sticks with the fans, or his source could have a feel for certain things in the org and not others.  Just curious.

Onto James: Absolutely zero reason to trade a 2 WAR backup catcher for relief help in March.  Especially when you've got half a dozen arms in camp that already look capable of a 6th or 7th inning role.  Who know bullpens are wild the Sox might have a strong pen this year and will have better use of McCann for 40 games as a strong backup than another swingman type.  You're not getting a 8th/9th inning guy of any quality for him anyways.

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Honestly, I think if McCann had value he'd have been traded by now. Trading him would probably be giving him away for nothing. The only reason to trade him is to keep Collins on the roster. 

It might also be that they wanted to see how Collins looked this spring also as compared to last year.

I don't see it happening. I would like it to happen, though. 

McCann has had one really good half of baseball in his career and it was incredibly inflated by his BABIP. Then, he returned to being the #2 caliber catcher that he is. 

He's a poor hitter and okay defensively. 

I would trade him while he has value. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

A quick look just now and maybe the Rangers but yea.

Robinson Chirinos is there and he wasn't bad for the Astros last year, especially once he got to the Astros his framing numbers weren't bad and he's decent offensively. He didn't get hurt did he? I don't see anything on the Google but if there's a recent ST injury who knows if it would show up.