McCann Trade Speculation

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They are strong at catcher without him. He is now a back up. I could see a point if you wanted to DH him against LHP, but with EE and Abreu, are you going to sit one of those guys against lefties for James McCann? Name me the last back up catcher who was the difference between their team being a playoff team and missing out? McCann, unless he is horrible this year won’t be back for 2021 anyway. He will look for a place to be the starting catcher. The Sox gave Grandal a boatload of money. He is going to get a heavy load of starts. The back up catcher isn’t a huge role right now like it was in the past when the Sox had no elite catchers. 

David Ross.

Real talk though lol, I agree.  Trade him and keep Collins on the 26 man please.

Collins isn’t a catcher.  At least Chicago doesn’t think so just look how they have built the roster.

and the swing man you hypothetically get for him leaves a hole and puts pressure on grandal to catch 130 games.

hes not getting traded for a swing man or prospect.  And that means he isn’t getting traded, no now anyways, check back in July.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Collins isn’t a catcher.  At least Chicago doesn’t think so just look how they have built the roster.

and the swing man you hypothetically get for him leaves a hole and puts pressure on grandal to catch 130 games.

hes not getting traded for a swing man or prospect.  And that means he isn’t getting traded, no now anyways, check back in July.

Grandal caught 137 and 135 games the past two years.

• Love 1

56 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It makes no sense to wait for the deadline to trade McCann.  His value is at an all time high right now.  If you wait until July, he could either not get enough appearances to prove his value or revert back to his Tigers line.

On 3/8/2020 at 7:10 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All time highs can always go higher too but that would be a future all time high not a present all time high. Drug users know this.

Vicious cycle. The first is always the best.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, greg775 said:

Has anybody written a story on McCann yet this spring? Seems obvious to see if he's OK with his new role.

That Twitter guy Not Cishek, if you believe he has sources, has said that internally McCann is not happy being a backup and the Sox are trying to work a trade as a result.

Officially, among legitimate reporters, there hasn’t been anything said.  McCann is being a pro.  But it would only make sense that a guy who came out of nowhere to be an Allstar last year would be upset to see his team sign the premier free agent catcher of the offseason and change his role to backup.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 4:34 PM, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Yermin and Collins have been pretty impressive this spring training. Either way having an argument on who should fill a back up position on the roster is a good thing.

Is that regarding hitting a baseball? 

On 3/8/2020 at 12:59 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

That's my impression.   It's also an indication they are weak in developing catchers.  After watching Charlotte last year I don't think he caught a majority of the games. I could be wrong.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

That Twitter guy Not Cishek, if you believe he has sources, has said that internally McCann is not happy being a backup and the Sox are trying to work a trade as a result.

Officially, among legitimate reporters, there hasn’t been anything said.  McCann is being a pro.  But it would only make sense that a guy who can’t out of nowhere to be an Allstate last year would be upset to see his team sign the premier free agent catcher of the offseason and change his role to backup.

Upset...yes.  It is still in the best interest of McCann to have his best season possible.  With Collins getting more experience at AAA...the trade deadline might work for McCann and the FO.  McCann isn't going anywhere just to make him happy.  He is a very valuable player on a contending team.  

44 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Upset...yes.  It is still in the best interest of McCann to have his best season possible.  With Collins getting more experience at AAA...the trade deadline might work for McCann and the FO.  McCann isn't going anywhere just to make him happy.  He is a very valuable player on a contending team.  

Unless Grandal gets injured, a season of backup catcher at bats isn’t helping McCann prove that last season wasn’t a fluke so he can get paid next offseason.

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Unless Grandal gets injured, a season of backup catcher at bats isn’t helping McCann prove that last season wasn’t a fluke so he can get paid next offseason.

True...but he could easily be the best catcher available for a contender in need.  In any event...a "quality" bullpen arm would be my asking price if and when a deal happens.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

No player is happy being a backup but frankly I don't see a lot of teams contending that would want McCann as their primary catcher.  When I looked the other day there were only maybe 2-3 clubs at most that were a) contending and b) needed a 1.5-2.5 WAR catcher.  And that's optimistically.

Injuries can change a lot of needs...including our own.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Injuries can change a lot of needs...including our own.

totally.  which is why spring training trades are very rare.  you don't want to blow your wad this early.  as I've said a million times for all we fucking know the Sox pen is lights out this year and Don Cooper lays his moneymaker down again.  Let it play out before using assets.  It's not like McCann is going to depreciate in value between now and mid-summer.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 6:56 PM, Tony said:

If that were true, good chance he’d already be on another team. 

Well, technically, his value was at an all-time high around the ASB last season. Before he plummeted back to Earth - reverting back to the mean with horrible offensive output in the 2nd half. 

Other than that, I am not sure when else James McCann would have had value which would compare to this. McCann accumulated a higher WAR in the first half last season than he has in the rest of his career combined. 

I see where we are and other teams near the ASB.  If we are not contending, I move for best prospect who is hopefully low minors and not due for 40 man.  If we are out of it, there will be contending teams who will look at him as a decent upgrade and we should get something of value.

If we are in the thick of things, I may not rock the boat.  It requires Collins to look passable on defense or Zavala rebounding to at least be a defensively competent backup.  If contending you can't have Grandal wear down.  I love Yermin as a personality but realistically, he is a possible DH and emergency only catcher.

• Like 1