Cuts

Whisox05

If you go by the roster pages, they have 9 infielders and 13 outfielders, but they have Leury and Cuthbert listed as outfielders, so they may want to change that. 

They’ll probably have a big cut down by Monday’s game after the Sunday split squad. 

4 hours ago, flavum said:

If you go by the roster pages, they have 9 infielders and 13 outfielders, but they have Leury and Cuthbert listed as outfielders, so they may want to change that. 

They’ll probably have a big cut down by Monday’s game after the Sunday split squad. 

Hope so.  Time to start seeing the regulars on an everyday basis.

30 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

62IP in BHam, hasn't pitched in a game since late June 2018.  I think AA is a safe starting point.  If AA is no challenge he won't be there long.

True. Before his injury I thought Dunning was going to be our surprise ace prospect. I hope he still makes it into the rotation at some point either this year or next. I love his drive and his personality.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

True. Before his injury I thought Dunning was going to be our surprise ace prospect. I hope he still makes it into the rotation at some point either this year or next. I love his drive and his personality.

He will be. He will be on the fast track to replace Rodon, Lopez or Gio. That is why I loved the Gio contract. It gives him a real window to try and hit. I have him more as a really solid #2 over an ace though. His stuff is legit.

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I love Dunning, but he doesn’t really have an ace like ceiling.  To me, his best case scenario is a really good #3 starter.  That being said, if healthy I expect him to be a rotation mainstay for years to come, hopefully as our #4 starter behind Giolito, Kopech, & Cease.  I truly believe he will beat out Lopez, Rodon, Lambert, & Stiever for the last spot in the rotation next year.  The kid just has that “it” factor.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I love Dunning, but he doesn’t really have an ace like ceiling.  To me, his best case scenario is a really good #3 starter.  That being said, if healthy I expect him to be a rotation mainstay for years to come, hopefully as our #4 starter behind Giolito, Kopech, & Cease.  I truly believe he will beat out Lopez, Rodon, Lambert, & Stiever for the last spot in the rotation next year.  The kid just has that “it” factor.

I agree with you. Dunning has great pitching IQ. He's a competitor. And maybe most importantly an easy repeatable delivery. Speaking of him being a competitor, look up the video of him yelling at the umps for calling the tarp out with the rain coming.  He was at Florida. Love it! 

He is better than Lambert, Lopez, Rodon. I  expect him to be #5 next season and then 4 the following year with Dallas the 5. I'm still not sure what the plan is for Rodon. I feel he will be moved next offseason. I just don't see how he's going to be happy here if he's not starting. 

• Like 2

Just now, smellysox said:

I agree with you. Dunning has great pitching IQ. He's a competitor. And maybe most importantly an easy repeatable delivery. Speaking of him being a competitor, look up the video of him yelling at the umps for calling the tarp out with the rain coming.  He was at Florida. Love it! 

He is better than Lambert, Lopez, Rodon. I  expect him to be #5 next season and then 4 the following year with Dallas the 5. I'm still not sure what the plan is for Rodon. I feel he will be moved next offseason. I just don't see how he's going to be happy here if he's not starting. 

I like Dunning, but let's cool the jets. Lopez had a pretty good 2018 and Rodon, at times, has flashed being the ace we hoped we'd be getting but has had issues with health and consistency.

Let's see Dunning perform above AA before anointing him.

43 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I honestly hope we move Rodon to the bullpen.  I’m not sure it will make him any healthier, but I think he can be dominant as a pure fastball/slider guy coming out in short stretches.  

To go completely off subject here, but if you make Rodon a reliever and add one elite arm to serve as your closer you could see a bullpen like this next year:

• CL: Kirby Yates
  • SU: Aaron Bummer*
  • SU: Reynaldo Lopez
  • SU: Carlos Rodon*
  • MR: Zack Burdi
  • MR: Codi Heuer
  • MR: Fry*/Cordero/Hamilton/Johnson
  • LR: Gonzalez*/Lambert/Flores*

Holy fuck would that pen be nasty.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Think you might have Dunning confused with Brady Singer of FL. Either way, I agree about Dunnings competitiveness.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/florida-pitcher-brady-singer-tantrum-tirade-rain-delay-wake-forest-super-regional-college-baseball-video

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Think you might have Dunning confused with Brady Singer of FL. Either way, I agree about Dunnings competitiveness.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/florida-pitcher-brady-singer-tantrum-tirade-rain-delay-wake-forest-super-regional-college-baseball-video

Your right. My bad. I knew they were teammates. 

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Zavala optioned to AAA.

Burdi, Flores, Adolofo, Basabe and Rutherford optioned to AA.

Guerrero, Mitchell, Frate, Medeiros and Tomshaw re-assigned to minor league camp.

Any thoughts on if that means anything?  Trying to get a longer look in person with the MLB level personnel around the backfields?

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Any thoughts on if that means anything?  Trying to get a longer look in person with the MLB level personnel around the backfields?

They’re all going to the minor league side. Players on the 40-man get optioned. The others are reassigned.

Could see a few more cuts after today’s game- the catcher Perez, Vaughn, Sheets, and Luis Gonzalez.

1 minute ago, flavum said:

They’re all going to the minor league side. Players on the 40-man get optioned. The others are reassigned.

Could see a few more cuts after today’s game- the catcher Perez, Vaughn, Sheets, and Luis Gonzalez.

Ah right on, just mostly a housekeeping distinction then.  I guess what I'm trying to say is I really hope they can squeeze something out of Medieros.

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I really thought that Burdi, Flores and Basabe would all start in Charlotte.

I could be reading too much into it, but it seems to me like guys coming back from injury rehab are getting safer assignments to start.  

Flores hasn't been particularly good this spring from what I have seen so perhaps the same applies.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Probably just a lot of AAAA relievers they have to put at Charlotte. Isn't AA where all the good hitters are anyway?

On 3/7/2020 at 12:09 PM, Flash said:

Dunning went to UF as well. 

On 3/7/2020 at 11:47 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I honestly hope we move Rodon to the bullpen.  I’m not sure it will make him any healthier, but I think he can be dominant as a pure fastball/slider guy coming out in short stretches.  

To go completely off subject here, but if you make Rodon a reliever and add one elite arm to serve as your closer you could see a bullpen like this next year:

• CL: Kirby Yates
  • SU: Aaron Bummer*
  • SU: Reynaldo Lopez
  • SU: Carlos Rodon*
  • MR: Zack Burdi
  • MR: Codi Heuer
  • MR: Fry*/Cordero/Hamilton/Johnson
  • LR: Gonzalez*/Lambert/Flores*

Holy fuck would that pen be nasty.

Idk if Rodon would do it, but I could see him in the Andrew Miller/Josh Hader role and being absolutely filthy. 

• Like 1