Your 2020 Season Expectations

Richie

Your 2020 Season Expectations  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What do you "expect" from the 2020 Chicago White Sox?

• .500 record or better
    • "Be Competitive" Wire-to-Wire
    • Playoff berth
    • AL Central Champs
    • Get into the playoffs and advance beyond the ALDS (ALCS or WS berth)

I was having a conversation with a couple of real "cynic" White Sox fan types. 

They were doing their usual moaning and groaning about how the sky will eventually fall on our dreams... blah, blah, blah

Then, one of them said that they couldn't believe how high White Sox fans had their expectations set. Talking about how the whole fan-base is sold on the 2020 White Sox being the 2015 Cubs, etc. 

I really took issue with that. Are we feeling some optimism for the first time? Sure, and I think we deserve it. However, I told him that I really just think White Sox fans expect us to "not suck" finally and make a little noise. "Be competitive" and then MAYBE if things fall right? We get into the post-season. 

I think this board is big enough to get a sample-size of White Sox fans. Of course, perhaps it doesn't take into account the casual fan vote. However, I've heard casual fans that range across the board with expectations. Some are stupidly optimistic and some just think "We suck because we have sucked... blah blah blah". 

So, what are YOUR personal expectations?

It's obvious that we have a really good top to bottom offensive with a great mix of power and speed.  Starting pitching looks great if Cease & Lopez take a step forward and I believe they will.  Relief guys look to be somewhere between good and excellent.  No way do I see any point in starting the season as a Gloomy Gus.  I predict the playoffs in our future.  Of course...in reality...we will go as far as the pitching takes us.  I am encouraged that we have some nice pitching depth with  Kopech, Rodon and Dunning in the wings.

I'm guessing 86 wins this year as this team learns to win.  They will go as far as their pitching takes them as I expect them to score runs.  I still think they should've spent just a little more in free agency and brought in McHugh to really compete this year....I'm getting greedy.  Still love what they did this off-season with free agents and extensions.  

I think we can beat the twins for the Central but it should be a close race. I just hope the season isn't impacted at the start by the Corona virus which could diminish attendance depending on what is going on with it in a few weeks.

51 minutes ago, tray said:

I think we can beat the twins for the Central but it should be a close race. I just hope the season isn't impacted at the start by the Corona virus which could diminish attendance depending on what is going on with it in a few weeks.

I plan to continue living my life. Just as I did through swine flu, etc. I hope others do too. 

• Like 2

Yea,  no reason to panic (like the folks I saw clearing hand sanitizer and various necessities out of Walmart today) . Hopefully the powers that be get the spread of the Corona virus under control and we are good to go for the Opener in 3 weeks.  

This year the Opener is going to be the best one since 1981.   There are echoes of that year almost 40 years later. Check it out:

We aren't better than the Twins (yet) but I expect us to be in the Wild Card hunt. I have 2021 moreso as my "serious contenders" year. This team will be so fun to watch though so I'm excited (as well as the minors as a prospect junkie since 2004).

Voted competitive wire to wire.

Everything would have to go right for us to make the play-offs this year. 

Abrue doesnt regress

Madrigal plays well out of the gates

TA repeats or slightly regresses

Moncada repeats or improves

Eloy improves

Gio repeats

etc.

My expectations rise to play-offs next year though.

18 hours ago, black jack said:

I'm going to shove a Lysol wipe into my hospital mask and hit 20+ games this year! 

Seriously though, I'm bit of a germaphobe already and use hand sanitizer like 30 times a day.

I think I'll be safe.  

FWIW - My sister is an M.D.. She says that hand sanitizer isn't the way to go here. It's a virus. It's not spread by bacteria. Anti-bacterial hand sanitizer won't help you. 

Wash your hands and your face constantly. 

For what it's also worth? She says the panic is way over-hyped. She just purchased a round-trip from Charlotte to Detroit and back for 75 dollars to visit me towards the end of the month. She's loving how cheap airlines are right now and has no fears. Says virtually every mortality has been 80-85+ in age. You're more likely to die from the flu.

If it's good enough for her? I'm good as well. 500x more intelligent and educated than this guy.

Edited by Richie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Richie said:

FWIW - My sister is an M.D.. She says that hand sanitizer isn't the way to go here. It's a virus. It's not spread by bacteria. Anti-bacterial hand sanitizer won't help you. 

Wash your hands and your face constantly. 

For what it's also worth? She says the panic is way over-hyped. She just purchased a round-trip from Charlotte to Detroit and back for 75 dollars to visit me towards the end of the month. She's loving how cheap airlines are right now and has no fears. Says virtually every mortality has been 80-85+ in age. You're more likely to die from the flu.

If it's good enough for her? I'm good as well. 500x more intelligent and educated than this guy.

Good to know about the hand washing.  Thank you.

On 3/7/2020 at 2:38 AM, tray said:

Yea,  no reason to panic (like the folks I saw clearing hand sanitizer and various necessities out of Walmart today) . Hopefully the powers that be get the spread of the Corona virus under control and we are good to go for the Opener in 3 weeks.  

This year the Opener is going to be the best one since 1981.   There are echoes of that year almost 40 years later. Check it out:

Some of the storyline parallels there are uncanny with this year's club. Really interesting.

I'm born in 91 so had to look up how the Sox fared that season,  although I already knew they didnt make the playoffs until 83. Looks like they finished slightly above .500 and there was a midseason strike.

Loved the line about Harold Baines' defense. 

Learned a few things, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Some of the storyline parallels there are uncanny with this year's club. Really interesting.

I'm born in 91 so had to look up how the Sox fared that season,  although I already knew they didnt make the playoffs until 83. Looks like they finished slightly above .500 and there was a midseason strike.

Loved the line about Harold Baines' defense. 

Learned a few things, thanks for sharing.

Thanks.  I hate to admit that I am old enough to remember that season. I  went to Opening Day.  Met et at Shinnick's for a few beers pregame with a few friends and walked to the old Comiskey...   In addition to the parallels you noted, the excitement among White Sox fans was similar to what it is now.  This is going to be a great year for White Sox fans and they are going to be a part of the teams success by creating that winning atmosphere in the park.  

I’m expecting the team to do well enough for people to drop the whole act about comparing this rebuild to anything  JR, KW, & RH have done in the past.  This is a whole new thing- impossible to compare to anything in the history of the Sox.  Absolutely impossible

BTW love the 1981 stuff.  I’m referring to post 2000

Edited by Jerksticks