Is EE toast?

ron883

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I was there to witness it in person today. The guys bat looked insanely slow

This from a guy who, when questioned about the quality of his reporting from ST said

On 3/6/2020 at 9:16 PM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

By soberly, I mean shitfaced

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

It's not just about his numbers. His bat looks noticably slower this year so far. It's hard not to be worried

You had Colome "washed" last week. This is Spring "Training" not regular season.  

15 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

0-15 so far with 8 strikeouts. Seems very overmatched against fastballs. Really hope he isn't slowing down this year. At least we have viable replacement options if he is on the decline

Holy fucking shit 

• Love 2

31 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Holy fucking shit 

It's cause for concern, but I wouldn't be alarmed until it's Memorial Day and He's Adam Dunn-ing it up. 

As has been said, EE is a slow starter and it's not like anyone expects him to hit over .250 at this stage of his career. 

Am I concerned? A little bit, but mostly because of the whole history of the Sox and DHs since Jim Thome. It's all bias related paranoia. 

Personally, I wish they didn't sign EE and decided to give Collins a look. It's likely that Vaughn will be pushing for the Majors by August anyway. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's cause for concern, but I wouldn't be alarmed until it's Memorial Day and He's Adam Dunn-ing it up. 

As has been said, EE is a slow starter and it's not like anyone expects him to hit over .250 at this stage of his career. 

Am I concerned? A little bit, but mostly because of the whole history of the Sox and DHs since Jim Thome. It's all bias related paranoia. 

2012 Adam Dunn would work in this lineup.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

In the 2019 spring training, Edwin Encarnacion went 4/33 in recorded A games, for a .121 batting average and a .273 OPS. He hit 0 HR and had 13 strikeouts.

This makes me feel slightly better. His recent spring trainings have been lousy. He used to mash in spring training for the most part, though

I don't know if EE is "toast" or not, but I reserve the right to doubt a 37 year old until he proves otherwise. I also reserve the right to doubt this FO's signings of DH and 1B types, thanks to their rich history with Dunn, Laroche, and Alonso.

For these reasons, I think its a fair question to ask about EE, although I also think its fair to call these concerns a bit premature.

I get that EE has been a strong producer in recent years. But Father Time is invincible, and at some point, he will come and take away EE's abilities as a hitter. 

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I don't know if EE is "toast" or not, but I reserve the right to doubt a 37 year old until he proves otherwise. I also reserve the right to doubt this FO's signings of DH and 1B types, thanks to their rich history with Dunn, Laroche, and Alonso.

For these reasons, I think its a fair question to ask about EE, although I also think its fair to call these concerns a bit premature.

I get that EE has been a strong producer in recent years. But Father Time is invincible, and at some point, he will come and take away EE's abilities as a hitter. 

THIS x infinity. 

Nice post. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I just hope we don't Alonso it if indeed this is the end for EE.  We have others who can do the job if EE can't.  Some patience is OK but don't wait until the horse is out of the barn.

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

You are free to doubt him. It’d just be dumb. Especially if 15 ST ABs are anywhere in your body of evidence.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RTC said:

This from a guy who, when questioned about the quality of his reporting from ST said

My intoxicated analysis bares more weight than the sober analysis from many others. Trust me, he didn't look good

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lane said:

You are free to doubt him. It’d just be dumb. Especially if 15 ST ABs are anywhere in your body of evidence.

Nah, its not the 15 ABs. It's the 37 years of age. But you read that in my post you quoted, right? 

(Nah, you didn't.)

The good news is that if EE doesn't pan out like he has for the last 8 YEARS and hit 30+ HRs, the Sox have several options.

1. Yermin. I would make him the 26th man because he can cover for EE on days he needs rest, while I'd want Collins and Vaughn to be getting regular AAA ABs.

2. Grandal/McCann. With Yermin as the 26th man, Ricky might be more willing to DH one of his catchers if EE has to sit. 

3. Vaughn. He looks major league ready right now. I'd only use him if EE went out for an extended period and Yermin turned out to be fool's gold. Otherwise, I want to extend his service time window. 

4. Collins. If he's raking in AAA and looks as good or better than Vaughn, he's another option.