Is EE toast?

ron883

On 3/9/2020 at 10:12 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

Nah, its not the 15 ABs. It's the 37 years of age. But you read that in my post you quoted, right? 

(Nah, you didn't.)

His age is a legitimate reason to be concerned.  But in the 2nd half last year, EE had a slash line of .321/.392/.643.

Now, granted, and not helping the age concern is that his 2nd half consisted of 125 PA.  But he mashed at least.  And his first half, even though he hit 25 homers, featured a .199 BABIP.  The dude can still hit when he is healthy.  He has also been pretty darn durable.  Last season was the first in which he didn't play at least 130 games since 2010.  

Maybe last season was foretelling his demise with missing some games.  But his spring ABs are meaningless.  He isn't a AA player trying to impress management to make the team.  To even consider his spring is ignorant, silly or trolling.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, VAfan said:

The good news is that if EE doesn't pan out like he has for the last 8 YEARS and hit 30+ HRs, the Sox have several options.

1. Yermin. I would make him the 26th man because he can cover for EE on days he needs rest, while I'd want Collins and Vaughn to be getting regular AAA ABs.

2. Grandal/McCann. With Yermin as the 26th man, Ricky might be more willing to DH one of his catchers if EE has to sit. 

3. Vaughn. He looks major league ready right now. I'd only use him if EE went out for an extended period and Yermin turned out to be fool's gold. Otherwise, I want to extend his service time window. 

4. Collins. If he's raking in AAA and looks as good or better than Vaughn, he's another option. 

It still amazes my just how polished Vaughn looks already just one year out of college. Dude will be a mainstay for years to come...