Sign in to follow this  
Yearnin' for Yermin

Is EE toast?

0-15 so far with 8 strikeouts. Seems very overmatched against fastballs. Really hope he isn't slowing down this year. At least we have viable replacement options if he is on the decline

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

0-15 so far with 8 strikeouts. Seems very overmatched against fastballs. Really hope he isn't slowing down this year. At least we have viable replacement options if he is on the decline

Seems to me that you should recuse yourself from this argument....you just want to give Mercedes his job 😁

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wegner said:

Seems to me that you should recuse yourself from this argument....you just want to give Mercedes his job 😁

You ain't wrong about that! I'm team Yermin.

The back soreness combined with this start is discouraging. However, it's March 8th, so mark me down as not being worried yet. 

Hope it's rust and he'll be fine. I'm leaning that way although he's looked bad.

Good thing is we have Mercedes and Collins if he crumbles. 

• Like 1

This thread sucks. EE isn’t toast anymore than Engel is an actual worthwhile baseball player.

Elite teams do not make lineup decisions based upon spring training. He sounds like a slow starter.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Lol.....Here are his spring training stats, not worried in the slightest....

https://www.mlb.com/player/edwin-encarnacion-429665?stats=career-s-hitting-mlb&year=2019

he had 4 hits all of spring training last year. 

Yeah, he is usually quite bad in spring training and also first month of mlb season (like abreu too) but gets much better in the summer. 

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

Thank God folks didn't see Frank Thomas in Spring Training. 

I forgot what happens when the squad is competitive and newer fans show up.  This is pathetic.  EE is like 8th in the AL for wRC+ the last two years and folks are basically calling for Palka 2.0 to replace him based on 30 spring training PA?  Lunacy.  GTFO.  People should ready this quote:

Craig Kimbrel made his first Cactus League appearance this past Wednesday. Afterwards, I asked the Chicago Cubs closer if he ever feels adrenaline in spring training games.

Not like a [regular] season game, no,” responded Kimbrel. “But you’re still excited to get out there, excited to work. It may be spring training, but you still don’t want to give up runs, you don’t want to give up hits. You still try to compete. It’s part of the reason I wait so long to get into games. I don’t want to go out there and try to do too much before I’m ready.”

Vets don't care about spring guys.  And rightfully so.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

He starts slow every year.

No doubt. Cant wait to see these threads in mid-April wanting to cut him.

32 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No doubt. Cant wait to see these threads in mid-April wanting to cut him.

This already happened with Alonso last year and everyone was right.  But I think EE will be fine.

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This already happened with Alonso last year and everyone was right.  But I think EE will be fine.

Did you just compare EE to Alonso?  You did.  Man that makes no sense!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Did you just compare EE to Alonso?  You did.  Man that makes no sense!

People just like to get the early lead on declaring someones career over. Players who suck in spring might actually suck in season just as players who suck in spring might actually do great in season.

For me its players who suck in spring will be great and players who do great in spring will be great.

That way everybody will be great. That's what Spring is for. After all the Tigers are leading MLB in spring HR's.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

It's not just about his numbers. His bat looks noticably slower this year so far. It's hard not to be worried

You better bring back the Yermin thread. It fell to the 2nd page. Come on show me you are really Yearnin' !

Spring Training doesn’t mean anything, so I’m not particularly worried about Edwin. Should he struggle in the regular season, just DFA him and give his at-bats to Yermin. That’s the beauty of finally having quality depth on this team for the first time in forever.

Edited by YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

People just like to get the early lead on declaring someones career over. Players who suck in spring might actually suck in season just as players who suck in spring might actually do great in season.

For me its players who suck in spring will be great and players who do great in spring will be great.

That way everybody will be great. That's what Spring is for. After all the Tigers are leading MLB in spring HR's.

well there ya go, lol.  I'm ready for real games only 2.5 weeks.

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Alonso was also awful before 2019, FWIW.

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

It's not just about his numbers. His bat looks noticably slower this year so far. It's hard not to be worried

You've noticed that his bat is slower in 15 ABs?  Of which, you've seen, what 2?  Or 3?

Edited by turnin' two
  • Haha 1