New York Times feature on Tim Anderson

NorthSideSox72

Tim Anderson Is Here to Save Baseball From Itself

The Chicago White Sox shortstop has ruffled some feathers, earned a batting title and become a loud voice in a quiet game. And he’s just getting started.

I'm sold from the title and tease alone.

Good article. It discusses his commitment to excellence and also how he he is no longer afraid to be himself and let his passion break traditional "rules" of baseball etiquette, which in turn makes the sport more relevant and attractive to the new generation. The NYT also devoted a few paragraphs to race considerations in MLB since TA is the only African American on the team. The handling of that part was complimentary, but seemed shoehorned in just a bit since that's not really a "thing" with TA so much as what he can do for the local community and the youth.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Good article. It discusses his commitment to excellence and also how he he is no longer afraid to be himself and let his passion break traditional "rules" of baseball etiquette, which in turn makes the sport more relevant and attractive to the new generation. The NYT also devoted a few paragraphs to race considerations in MLB since TA is the only African American on the team. The handling of that part was complimentary, but seemed shoehorned in just a bit since that's not really a "thing" with TA so much as what he can do for the local community and the youth.

Thanks for the summary.   It sounds corny but TA really can be the guy that gets more AA youth playing baseball.  His org helps with the money and his personality and play helps with the rest.

• Like 1

He’s the face of black baseball. 

I checked out him on the CC Sabathia podcast on the Undisputed and they were talking about “clubhouse culture”, we need to stop calling it that and calling it what it is. It’s a form of institutionalized, cultural racism, calling it what it is will only help solve the problem.

And it’s good to see the White Sox position themselves as that team, the team who’s leading the battle against institutional racism in MLB. Looking at the team, they have a lot of dark skinned players, a lot of whom are from Latin America. So it’s good that they’re celebrating the African American presence and the Latin culture in their locker room. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I checked out him on the CC Sabathia podcast on the Undisputed and they were talking about “clubhouse culture”, we need to stop calling it that and calling it what it is. It’s a form of institutionalized, cultural racism, calling it what it is will only help solve the problem.

And it’s good to see the White Sox position themselves as that team, the team who’s leading the battle against institutional racism in MLB. Looking at the team, they have a lot of dark skinned players, a lot of whom are from Latin America. So it’s good that they’re celebrating the African American presence and the Latin culture in their locker room. 

I too found CC's comments interesting.  He also distinguished between dark skinned AAs and dark sinned Latin guys, which is an obvious point but one that escapes your average white American from time to time.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Interesting comments from Brad Keller of the Royals.

“We had kind of a history with him in years past, so it was more of a team thing,” Keller said last week. “But you know what? Guys play the game how they want to, and if that’s how he plays it, so be it.”

On 3/9/2020 at 1:12 PM, Joshua Strong said:

Is it really “institutional racism”?  Is the Sox “clubhouse culture” no longer racist because the majority of players on the team are now from Latin America instead of being a majority of white players?  How is the “clubhouse culture” less racist now that Latin Americans are creating and owning this culture as opposed to white players?  Wouldn’t it still be racist then, but in favor of Latin “clubhouse culture” as opposed to white “clubhouse culture”?

It seems to me that it’s simply more of a numbers game and the majority of one race being on the team is likely the group that creates and owns the “clubhouse culture” of the team, moreso than simply resorting to blaming racism for everything.

I watched this video and most of it sounded like rookie hazing by veterans.  It didn’t sound all race-related.  And I bet it’s pretty safe to assume that the older white veterans were hazing the young white rookies as well.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1