Reds @ Sox | 3:05PM CT | Whitesox.com

Tnetennba

36 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

go hit for an 950 OPS in Charlotte for three months.  Improve a ZIPS projection around replacement level.  Prove he can play a position other than DH?  Any other questions?

If he is an elite hitter why would DH not be a potential spot for him?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

There's no evidence he's an elite hitter.  Again, I entreat people to compare his AAA stats, his age, his prospect status with Palka.  They are much more alike than dislike and it starts with not having a position.

Like it or not the Fangraphs DH penalty is like -15 runs before you even step on the diamond.  It's a position you HAVE to mash at.  250/310/520 is a .5 WAR DH.  280/340/550 is about a 2 WAR DH.  Do you think Yermin can hit 280/340/550?

I sure as shit don't.

He'll get a shot if EE goes down.  That's where he's at.  He knows it, he's already said as much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

We have Grandal, Encarnación, Abreu, and McCann on the MLB roster. Collins can play semi-passable defense. Vaughn is 21 and the #3 pick. 

Right now, if Yermin is the 26th man, he's getting at bats in National League games when they take the second pitcher out.

If Encarnación goes down for any extended period, Yermin needs McCann traded to have an audition period where he can prove the DH spot is his, not Abreu's, when Vaughn inevitably arrives.

So, if he can play defense, we're talking.

Third string catcher doesn't have to  catch very often  so that is not an issue.

I like the sheer entertainment value of having "the Yerminator" as the 26th man and 3rd string catcher/DH/1B  on the roster... a guy who swings for the fences and gives one last hope to fans when trailing at the end of the game.   He wouldn't be a clown like Yolmer but more of a likeable big guy like the Fridge was on the Bears. And he probably would win a couple of ball games for the team.

It is a luxury to have a seldom used player on the team but that is what the 26th roster spot has made possible. 

My second choice for 26 would be Vaughn.  Third would be Delmonico.

Hang a "Trade Me" sign around Collins neck.  He is the perfect trade bait.  Teams are looking for young prospects with several years of team control left.  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, tray said:

My second choice for 26 would be Vaughn. 

And skip him of his first full year of professional baseball just in exchange for riding pine?

Poop.

• Like 2

And skip him of his first full year of professional baseball just in exchange for riding pine?

That's why I prefer Yerminator for 26 over Collins or Vaughn.  But if it was Vaughn, I think he would get some starts at first base and DH, plus pinch hitting.

EE  could use one or two days off every week and so could Abreu. 

I originally thought no way, Yermin at 26, but the more he raked the more I started thinking maybe he could be the guy. It would be a great story and a lot of fun for Sox fans to watch..  Don't rule it out yet, let us watch this guys journey for a spot on the major league roster for two more weeks.  Give the guy his shot.

17 minutes ago, tray said:

That's why I prefer Yerminator for 26 over Collins or Vaughn.  But if it was Vaughn, I think he would get some starts at first base and DH, plus pinch hitting.

EE  could use one or two days off every week and so could Abreu. 

I originally thought no way, Yermin at 26, but the more he raked the more I started thinking maybe he could be the guy. It would be a great story and a lot of fun for Sox fans to watch..  Don't rule it out yet, let us watch this guys journey for a spot on the major league roster for two more weeks.  Give the guy his shot.

Vaughn will be among the first cuts.

Yermin obviously has a real possibility to make the club and if he doesn’t, he’ll be in that fight until the last day of camp.

11 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's no evidence he's an elite hitter.  Again, I entreat people to compare his AAA stats, his age, his prospect status with Palka.  They are much more alike than dislike and it starts with not having a position.

Like it or not the Fangraphs DH penalty is like -15 runs before you even step on the diamond.  It's a position you HAVE to mash at.  250/310/520 is a .5 WAR DH.  280/340/550 is about a 2 WAR DH.  Do you think Yermin can hit 280/340/550?

I sure as shit don't.

He'll get a shot if EE goes down.  That's where he's at.  He knows it, he's already said as much.

Everyone seems to throw out the thought that Yermin mashed at every level, not just last year at AAA.  I do think he can put up those lines you stated and I predict he will do it with another team and become a top 5-10 DH.  BAN BET!

13 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Because the Sox spent $12 million on EE already.

Is that going to be your bit this year?  Complaining about spending a pittance on a legit DH instead of just rolling with Collins/Mercedes? You would have crucified Hahn if they did that and those two flopped as the DH. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is that going to be your bit this year?  Complaining about spending a pittance on a legit DH instead of just rolling with Collins/Mercedes? You would have crucified Hahn if they did that and those two flopped as the DH. 

I wasn’t complaining at all.  I liked the signing of EE.  I was explaining why Yermin may not get his chance.  Put away your “Jump to Conclusions” mat.

064C95EF-CF2D-4558-9332-792C8CAD29EE.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I wasn’t complaining at all.  I liked the signing of EE.  I was explaining why Yermin may not get his chance.  Put away your “Jump to Conclusions” mat.

064C95EF-CF2D-4558-9332-792C8CAD29EE.jpeg

Noted.  I am sure we won't see you complaining about EE playing over Yermin then.    

Having depth is a nice for once.  Yermin will get a chance if he goes to AAA and continues to rake.