Insurance question

The Grinder

Question for anyone who has the knowledge, I have a couple of trees that are leaning towards my neighbors property, they are not in any huge danger of falling but could in the future. The cost of removing them would be quite expensive and they are big enough to where I cant cut them down with the 20inch chain saw I have. So if they do blow over someday, what claim would that come under, comprehensive? Would I be responsible for the entire expense? Less a deductible?

Thanks!!

These are pretty large boxelder trees, I highly doubt Id get by at less than $800, just wonder if I should let the muthers drop whenever and see if my insurance would cover them assuming my deductable is no more than $500, then again the ins companies usually cover their butts on things like this, stating I didnt maintain the trees and it was a peril 

• 2 weeks later...

Better news, your neighbor's insurance would be the ones to handle it if a storm knocks it over. About the only time it would be on you is if you decided to remove the tree yourself and make a mistake or if you allowed an obvious hazard to remain (dead limb). If you are thinking that's weird, step back and be an insurance company. If there is a standard agreement among insurers then there is no need to litigate and drive up their costs. Over the course of many claims the cases should even out. It's also the only way for homeowners to be certain they are covered for that type of event. 

Just now, Texsox said:

Better news, your neighbor's insurance would be the ones to handle it if a storm knocks it over. About the only time it would be on you is if you decided to remove the tree yourself and make a mistake or if you allowed an obvious hazard to remain (dead limb). If you are thinking that's weird, step back and be an insurance company. If there is a standard agreement among insurers then there is no need to litigate and drive up their costs. Over the course of many claims the cases should even out. It's also the only way for homeowners to be certain they are covered for that type of event. 

He could def be on the hook if the trees were denigrating and then damaged his neighbor's dwelling. The insurers always press claims against each other. Exception being among condo owners such insurance claims are usually waived in the bylaws and declarations. 

You have potential liability if you have trees that you know pose a danger to a neighbors property and fail to remove them. Your homeowner insurance will likely cover any damage, but there is a possibility that they may not if they find that you knew about the risk and failed to act. 

A limited hang out road to save money would be to have a tree service remove the limbs that pose a risk to the adjoining property.  Before deciding whether to trim or remove you have to ask yourself whether or not these trees add value to your property (appearance, shade, a place for birds, bird feeders). Some people think Box Elders are kind of a garbage tree. One of their worst qualities is that they are the host for the box elder bugs which you probably see on that side of your house and maybe even in your house. If you plan to stay at that house, or even if you plan on selling it, I suggest that you visit  a local nursery or even the garden center at Lowes, and look at some lawn trees, smaller ornamental trees and bushes.  Google the trees you think you like and find out how fast they grow, whether they like full sun or partial shade, and whether they prefer well drained soils or wet environments..  Plant them strategically taking their mature height/width and the lot lines under consideration,  do some mulching and landscaping and you will be rewarded.

Edited by tray

5 hours ago, pcq said:

He could def be on the hook if the trees were denigrating and then damaged his neighbor's dwelling. The insurers always press claims against each other. Exception being among condo owners such insurance claims are usually waived in the bylaws and declarations. 

Exactly. But if the tree is healthy, he's fine. Think about it. In most suburban developments there are trees within reach of every home.