MLB considering no crowds allowed on Opening Day?

caulfield12

Knowing what we know as of today, should Opening Days go ahead in front of empty stadiums?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Opening Day without fans, yay or nay?

• Start on time without fans in order to maintain a 154/162 game schedule
    • No fans, no game, no revenues...wait until the situation improves (anticipating the impact it will have on pitchers)
    • Start as normal....tune out all outside news for two weeks

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

People haven't realized that what is happening in Seattle is coming to their community.  Let me tell you.  Businesses are suffering here.  People are still going out and about sure but even a 20-30% reduction (which is what service industry is seeing) is horrible.  And there is no end in sight people are just hoping we lower the infection curve and it burns through in a couple months here.

I will say this; it is going to harm small to medium businesses substantially. 

I am spending my day reading contracts and agreements trying to find loop holes or outs pertaining to acts of god because we're bleeding millions a day.

A stimulus package would be helpful, but certainly not the one that has been proposed so far. Loan forgiveness for hardship purposes may help; paid time off for hourly employees is a must, but we'll never get that past so I'm not holding my breath. Small-medium business loan forgiveness for effected industries - which is everyone at this point - would be helpful. 

I also want to add that Italy is hurting because 23% of their GDP is tied to the service industry. America's economy revolves around the service industry/hospitality industry more than any major country in the world. The GDP growth this quarter is absolutely fucked, and the job of the government right now needs to be protecting societies most vulnerable (physically and economically) because this is just getting starter. The 8th biggest ECONOMY in the WORLD has just shut down entirely. As other countries follow suit, we're looking at one heck of a global recession. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

What an absolutely bizarre response.  1/5 is the estimated fatality rate for those with underlying respiratory illnesses.  You seemingly BRAGGED that your wife was inviting in the grim reaper.  But please I entreat you to take this seriously, for your sake, for my sake, and for everybody's sake.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

This is the key right here. 

I'm glad that common sense is starting to set in. 

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Another Soxtalk thread gone to shit. A tradition unlike any other.

I disagree, there are some rogue comments here and there but this is very educational when you look at the whole of it.   Doesn't have much to do with opening day anymore though lol, which is why I moved it

2 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Two things are evident to me:

1. Removing fans is necessary (need to limit virus spread to help our healthcare system)
  2. Games should probably be played

Play to empty stadiums, keep people safe.

Yeah, I was joking about this but TV ratings should be fantastic. People will be indoors staying home. NCAA tournament and MLB ratings should be better than usual. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I will say this; it is going to harm small to medium businesses substantially. 

I am spending my day reading contracts and agreements trying to find loop holes or outs on some aspects of the company that is literally bleeding millions a day.

A stimulus package would be helpful, but certainly not the one that has been proposed so far. Loan forgiveness for hardship purposes may help; paid time off for hourly employees is a must, but we'll never get that past so I'm not holding my breath. Small-medium business loan forgiveness for effected industries - which is everyone at this point - would be helpful. 

I also want to add that Italy is hurting because 23% of their GDP is tied to the service industry. America's economy revolves around the service industry/hospitality industry more than any major country in the world. The GDP growth this quarter is absolutely fucked, and the job of the government right now needs to be protecting societies most vulnerable (physically and economically) because this is just getting starter. The 8th biggest ECONOMY in the WORLD has just shut down entirely. As other countries follow suit, we're looking at one heck of a global recession. 

I work in logisitcs and uh......... it's bad. 

Also, huge hiring freezes are already taking place. 

I picked a really, really bad year to get off my parents insurance. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I was joking about this but TV ratings should be fantastic. People will be indoors staying home. NCAA tournament and MLB ratings should be better than usual. 

I'm fighting my family right now about not leaving for non-essential functions. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is the obvious solution.  For all events.  Just play to empty stadiums.

I run a very small business.  At any given time I have at most 2 people working with me.  Things have been so bad at my biz this last week that I'm considering moving most of my business online and cutting hours to zero for everybody but myself.

I have about a two month buffer.  If things are still really bad in 2 months I'm really not sure if I can hang on.  And I've been running this thing fairly successfully for about 8 years now.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

What an absolutely bizarre response.  1/5 is the estimated fatality rate for those with underlying respiratory illnesses.  You seemingly BRAGGED that your wife was inviting in the grim reaper.  But please I entreat you to take this seriously, for your sake, for my sake, and for everybody's sake.

Of those who get it (and you still exaggerated). Which is still a tiny portion of the population. I live in a city of 7 million and three people have it. So GTFOH with your 1/5 chances bullshit.

1 minute ago, lane said:

Of those who get it (and you still exaggerated). Which is still a tiny portion of the population. I live in a city of 7 million and three people have it. So GTFOH with your 1/5 chances bullshit.

I'm not sure you're understanding that the death rate for those over 60 and/or with underlying ailments (especially respiratory like asthma) is roughly 15-20%, with  over 2/3 of those requiring hospitalization.

I can guarantee you that thousands in your city now have it.  Not 7.  There's no testing.  We don't even have testing in Seattle yet readily available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I work in logisitcs and uh......... it's bad. 

Also, huge hiring freezes are already taking place. 

I picked a really, really bad year to get off my parents insurance. 

You'll be alright!

We just implemented a company wide spending freeze yesterday; which was one hell of a decision to make for us. Certainly the first time we've ever done it. 

When weighing the option of freezing spending, and bonus/raise season, or terminating lower level employees I can only hope more companies will make the same choice we made.

So on the subject of this thread...I haven't seen any note here of what happens when a professional player gets diagnosed as having it, what does that do to the league? By the time they'd show signs of it, they'd have exposed their entire team and probably any opposing team, along with umpires, journalists, etc. Does this solution only work  as long as no one gets sick on the teams?

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm fighting my family right now about not leaving for non-essential functions. 

I have to work and I am going on vacation next week. I am going to continue to live my life, but I will do it with respect for others by maintaining my cleanliness and etc; as well as not invading peoples personal space. I'm going to Vegas/Arizona next week for 10 days. It's going to be interesting to see how empty it is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm not sure you're understanding that the death rate for those over 60 and/or with underlying ailments (especially respiratory like asthma) is roughly 15-20%, with  over 2/3 of those requiring hospitalization.

I can guarantee you that thousands in your city now have it.  Not 7.  There's no testing.  We don't even have testing in Seattle yet readily available.

Yeah, we're way behind on the testing dude. 

I'm about reasonable caution. 

In the COVID-19 thread I was advocating shutting stuff down as a proactive measure to get ahead of this. It would probably be the prudent thing to do, but because of the arrogance of the American public, I realize it's not going to be feasible until shit hits the fan. I'm just trying to protect myself any way I can. 

I have to go to a doctors appt at a hospital tomorrow, so I'm going to be extra careful. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

So on the subject of this thread...I haven't seen any note here of what happens when a professional player gets diagnosed as having it, what does that do to the league? By the time they'd show signs of it, they'd have exposed their entire team and probably any opposing team, along with umpires, journalists, etc. Does this solution only work  as long as no one gets sick on the teams?

Couple thoughts:

As soon as a player gets it: It's over. There's no way you can continue playing under that circumstance. 

But on the other hand I'm not sure how the union is going to just take this sitting down in the first place. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I have to work and I am going on vacation next week. I am going to continue to live my life, but I will do it with respect for others by maintaining my cleanliness and etc; as well as not invading peoples personal space. I'm going to Vegas/Arizona next week for 10 days. It's going to be interesting to see how empty it is. 

I consider work, going to medical appointments, shopping, etc. essential functions. 

I'm still going to hang out with my friends. The biggest thing is to limit the number of people you come in contact with and wash your hands a lot. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If they can get the cotton swab test rolled out quickly enough I'd imagine you'd be testing players bi-weekly.  Most players are obviously healthy strong individuals and will be "self containing" on private flights and in their hotels and team buffets.

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This is the obvious solution.  For all events.  Just play to empty stadiums.

I run a very small businesses.  At any given time I have at most 2 people working with me.  Things have been so bad at my biz this last week that I'm considering moving most of my business online and cutting hours to zero for everybody but myself.

I have about a two month buffer.  If things are still really bad in 2 months I'm really not sure if I can hang on.  And I've been running this thing fairly successfully for about 8 years now.

I feel for you. I hope it works out. It is likely best to cut staff for now - sadly - and maintain the name and business yourself until everything returns to normal (it will eventually). It sucks for your team, but it allows you to maintain your livelihood and business that you worked hard to create.

We had a great January/February and we gave back all the gains in 11 days in March. It's a tough pill to swallow. This could go on thru June as well, which would destroy many industries in the Chicago area without a substantial financial backing/cushion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lane said:

Not nearly as high as the chances of you getting caught with a new ID and getting rebanned.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Jack has left the calm down crowd and now has joined the panic crowd

nah, It's the taking it seriously crowd. 

Try to control the people you come in contact with as much as possible that's what I'm saying. 

My argument is to try to avoid going to crowded places. Shopping is unavoidable, so I consider that an exception. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, mqr said:

Couple thoughts:

As soon as a player gets it: It's over. There's no way you can continue playing under that circumstance. 

But on the other hand I'm not sure how the union is going to just take this sitting down in the first place. 

Based on where we currently are at...unless there really is an effect of hot weather (maybe?), someone from one of the active major sports will either be exposed this week or they already have been. 

But, it takes ~2 weeks for symptoms to show up, so by the end of this month, give or take, we'll probably be very likely to have someone in the major sports test positive. 

I do find it interesting that "Steph curry has the regular flu" was a thing yesterday which would somehow mean he had already gotten one of the golden tests that are so hard for everyone else to get.