MLB considering no crowds allowed on Opening Day?

caulfield12

Knowing what we know as of today, should Opening Days go ahead in front of empty stadiums?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Opening Day without fans, yay or nay?

• Start on time without fans in order to maintain a 154/162 game schedule
    • No fans, no game, no revenues...wait until the situation improves (anticipating the impact it will have on pitchers)
    • Start as normal....tune out all outside news for two weeks

1 hour ago, tray said:

I want to get all of the science based information that I can from unbiased sources, to the extent that is possible. In the meantime, I am trying to tune out  anecdotal evidence (I had flu and survived, this is no big deal, etc. ) as well as the flurry of internet and cableTV  reports that are based on selective facts.  I  discount any attempt to address a potential pandemic with economic policies, like eliminating the payroll tax. or to take major steps like cancelling all sports events, at least not until we know more. 

Look, I have 6 tickets to the Opener and am planning on going with my son and friends.  The Opener has been a huge day for me going back probably before many posters here were born.  I do not want the Opener cancelled  or postponed unless the spread of this virus  and the medical consequences make it obvious that major league baseball and the White Sox  need to take that drastic step.

Dr. Fauci insists that avoiding crowds is an effective means to reduce the number of infections. It seems to make sense. Panic is no solution.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I do find it interesting that "Steph curry has the regular flu" was a thing yesterday which would somehow mean he had already gotten one of the golden tests that are so hard for everyone else to get.

Same with Gary Sanchez.

It's more likely that they tested positive for the regular flu than they tested negative for CV

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

nah, It's the taking it seriously crowd. 

Try to control the people you come in contact with as much as possible that's what I'm saying. 

There are common sense things people can do to stop touching each other and last night I got frustrated because at the store the clerk INSISTED on physically touching my ID rather than just looking at it.  She was not a day older than 25, had purple hair and was insistent that "state law" required her to scan it.  

Yea that's bullshit you can walk into any venue in Seattle and the bouncer simply looks at your ID.  There is no scan requirement.  Management has to get on top of this for grocery stores.   Clerks like this on little power trips will infect and kill people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If they can get the cotton swab test rolled out quickly enough I'd imagine you'd be testing players bi-weekly.  Most players are obviously healthy strong individuals and will be "self containing" on private flights and in their hotels and team buffets.

Umpires, coaches, broadcasting staff, and Don Cooper certainly aren't all healthy individuals. Some are, but some definitely aren't. 

20 minutes ago, lane said:

Of those who get it (and you still exaggerated). Which is still a tiny portion of the population. I live in a city of 7 million and three people have it. So GTFOH with your 1/5 chances bullshit.

Lane, there's like 1,000,000 tests at most nation wide available for use. Citing a number because we didn't test people isn't exactly a great assessment. 

If 3 people reportedly have it, way more people actually have it. Not a single case in Chicago has not infected someone else. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Umpires, coaches, broadcasting staff, and Don Cooper certainly aren't all healthy individuals. Some are, but some definitely aren't. 

That's true but transmission isn't that likely as long as Cooper washes his hands frequently and avoids intimate contact with his players.  Might have to avoid some spittle laced conversations.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That's true but transmission isn't that likely as long as Cooper washes his hands frequently and avoids intimate contact with his players.  Might have to avoid some spittle laced conversations.

Guy can't talk without spitting; they should have a 10 foot rule for Cooper to interview with people.

• Haha 1

After reading some of these posts I'm trying to walk the fine line here, Caufield I dont know you and I am new here but I pray for you and that you live to be a 100 (if thats what u want) and as much as I think this has the potential to be disastrous, However I mistrust media as they are in the news biz and lets face it, this equates to a TON of hype whether you beleive it legit or not. As for the WHO I wont touch that one as they have decimated a certain industry that I had a personal financial interest in many years ago via hyping something that didnt deserve it. 

Is this media driven? Or legit? Time will tell....in the meantime I will live my life being a bit more cautious but not paranoid 

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

1 minute ago, The Grinder said:

After reading some of these posts I'm trying to walk the fine line here, Caufield I dont know you and I am new here but I pray for you and that you live to be a 100 (if thats what u want) and as much as I think this has the potential to be disastrous, However I mistrust media as they are in the news biz and lets face it, this equates to a TON of hype whether you beleive it legit or not. As for the WHO I wont touch that one as they have decimated a certain industry that I had a personal financial interest in many years ago via hyping something that didnt deserve it. 

Is this media driven? Or legit? Time will tell....in the meantime I will live my life being a bit more cautious but not paranoid 

TBH I'm not sure the media is hyping it enough. Still seeing wayyyyy too many "The flu is worse" articles when just about every doctor in the world has come out and said this is 10x worse than the flu.

But I feel you on the WHO thing, in regards to H1N1. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buehrle5687 said:

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

The "My job isn't to scare you out of your wits, it's to scare you into your wits" line was great

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not a huge Joe Rogan fan (he's all over the place) but I'm very glad he did that because there are people that otherwise won't listen that will listen to him.

Yeah, I usually pick episodes based on who the guest is. Joe's usually a pretty good interviewer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lane said:

Oh, sorry, Jack. You pulled another random number out of your butt, so I’ll totally panic now.

Seriously, where do you get off telling people they need to panic about this? 5-7 on the alarm scale? WTF is that?

I think everyone should be concerned enough to take precautions, take it very seriously but not to the levels of panic.....but this is based on what we know now. Again, in a situation like this it's better to overreact than underreact. Always. I think people should be very concerned and take precautions accordingly. 

just FYI. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Based on where we currently are at...unless there really is an effect of hot weather (maybe?), someone from one of the active major sports will either be exposed this week or they already have been. 

But, it takes ~2 weeks for symptoms to show up, so by the end of this month, give or take, we'll probably be very likely to have someone in the major sports test positive. 

I do find it interesting that "Steph curry has the regular flu" was a thing yesterday which would somehow mean he had already gotten one of the golden tests that are so hard for everyone else to get.

I believe the WHO report from China placed 2 weeks incubation at the high end, but the median was 5 days for symptoms to appear.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Based on where we currently are at...unless there really is an effect of hot weather (maybe?), someone from one of the active major sports will either be exposed this week or they already have been. 

But, it takes ~2 weeks for symptoms to show up, so by the end of this month, give or take, we'll probably be very likely to have someone in the major sports test positive. 

He could have just tested positive for Flu A or B which COVID would not test positive.

32 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

What I'm struggling to understand (and it's an idea I'm seeing more on Twitter than here) is how playing games at neutral sites or in Arizona is any better than playing games as scheduled but with no crowds

Because large groups of people from the teams won't be moving from place to place and spreading it across the nation. If they stay in AZ, so does anything they are carrying.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mqr said:

How quickly that happens is up to us. 

Right, and 150M people is just under half of the US population. 

And if the numbers hold, and 20% of cases are severe, there's not going to be enough hospital beds and a lot of people are going to die. 

There aren't enough healthcare workers to support this.

If this guy truly believes this, he should be advocating for a national quarantine immediately. 

Edited by Jack Parkman