Are the Sox really not going to platoon Mazara in right field?

VAfan

Here's an article from today. https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/looks-nomar-mazara-will-avoid-platoon-start-can-he-do-it-all-2020

Here are Mazara's splits from the article.

Against righties, he owns a career .271/.337/.462 slash line. Against lefties, it’s .231/.272/.361.

Meanwhile, Adam Engel last year did this against lefties: .313/.360/.482, albeit in 89 ABs. He's also a better defender than Mazara.

Why would the Sox even consider not platooning Mazara and Engel? 

Leury Garcia is .311/.344/.443 in 196 ABs. Since he's likely to be our everyday 2b until Madrigal cracks the big league club, he's better there than platooning in the outfield. 

There is NO REASON to give up offense trying to get Mazara to hit lefties better. 

• Like 1

Between Mazara's poor record v. LHP, Mazara's utter lack of range in the OF, and EE's 37 years of age, I would have preferred another solution.

I would have rather that they kept the AAAA Engel in Charlotte, and had a corner OF/DH type to compliment Mazara and Eloy. I would have also made the DH role available for Abreu, Grandal, Mazara, Jimenez, and others to use as an occasional day off from playing the field.

That said, here's hoping that Mazara and EE do well enough for this team this year.

They have said they don't intend to do a straight platoon with him, but we'll have to see how many lefties he actually faces.  Adam Engel has been getting a lot of time in RF this spring so far, and next to near none for Leury.  If that is indicative of anything I don't know. 

A couple of things:

1. Mazara 's stats are from his age 21-24 years. He can and likely will learn from EE, Abreu etc.

2. Mazara already has shown this Spring that he will try to  hit the ball to Left Field instead of trying to pull every pitch  It is a good sign.

3. As far as LH starters against the White Sox 2020 line-up, we have one thing to tell them....Good luck!  If they count on  Mazara as a sure out sandwiched between the RH power hitting in our line-up, it is probably going to be a long inning for them.  And if it is late in the game,  look who's coming up to the dinner plate - The Yerminator!   Our line-up is going to make minced meat out of LH pitchers. Don't even worry about Mazara, He has bags of protetcion and remember the new rule about a pitcher having to face a minimum of three hitters every inning. You have to love our entire line-up, including Mazara, who is going to hit some tape measure home runs.

I agree that teams will not want to line up lefties against us.

But when they do, it is still foolish to go with a player with such significant splits when you have a better defensive player on the bench who has shown he hits lefties better. 

The idea that he can hit his way out of it just means you are giving MORE ABs to someone who is hurting you at the plate, so the more he struggles, the worse off you are. Plus, even if he improves upon his horrible record so far, what will those numbers be? They are unlikely to be better than the alternative. 

If Engel is on the roster, there is no harm in using him when he's a better choice. He's always going to be a better defensive choice. 

9 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

They have said they don't intend to do a straight platoon with him, but we'll have to see how many lefties he actually faces.  Adam Engel has been getting a lot of time in RF this spring so far, and next to near none for Leury.  If that is indicative of anything I don't know. 

I have speculated since examining his stats after acquiring him against lefties he seems more suited to facing lefties who are fly ball pitchers. Sox might see how he does and selectively choose which LHP's he will face.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

48 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

25 year old's need regular AB's.

Platoons are dumb.

Engel sucks.

You'd rather use Engel as a defensive replacement. 

I mean there aren't that many LHPs it's probably fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tray said:

A couple of things:

1. Mazara 's stats are from his age 21-24 years. He can and likely will learn from EE, Abreu etc.

2. Mazara already has shown this Spring that he will try to  hit the ball to Left Field instead of trying to pull every pitch  It is a good sign.

3. As far as LH starters against the White Sox 2020 line-up, we have one thing to tell them....Good luck!  If they count on  Mazara as a sure out sandwiched between the RH power hitting in our line-up, it is probably going to be a long inning for them.  And if it is late in the game,  look who's coming up to the dinner plate - The Yerminator!   Our line-up is going to make minced meat out of LH pitchers. Don't even worry about Mazara, He has bags of protetcion and remember the new rule about a pitcher having to face a minimum of three hitters every inning. You have to love our entire line-up, including Mazara, who is going to hit some tape measure home runs.

Examining his spray charts for every year of his career vs. LHP shows me he has been steadily improving his HR rate against them . We can expect to see a few down the LF line. LCF , center, and less to his pull side as he has learned to go with the pitch also over the years and not pull it as much as he did his rookie season.

He could still benefit greatly by getting the ball in the air more. His wRC+ on ground balls against all pitchers was a paltry 36 while on fly balls it was 200 and line drives was 290.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1