Spring Training Canceled, Season PPD 2 Weeks, IL Gov Recommending May 1st

joejoesox

4 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I could be wrong here, and things are constantly changing, but isn't the NCAA tourney still on?  Games played in empty arenas, but games still on correct?  I saw a bunch of conferences cancelled their tourneys, but in general still on correct?

Duke has dropped out. Kansas has suspended all sports indefinitely.

With those 2 blue bloods out of it, I can't imagine others schools NOT dropping out so I doubt they'll play the tournament.

Edited by soxfan49

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

I could be wrong here, and things are constantly changing, but isn't the NCAA tourney still on?  Games played in empty arenas, but games still on correct?  I saw a bunch of conferences cancelled their tourneys, but in general still on correct?

It is still on but probably not for long. If they open up the games, they would have to at least do the temp check on players/coaches. Like we saw w NBA last night , some kids  are going to be positive which would eliminate that team. It would be chaos.  I would assume NCAA will postpone or more likely cancel the tourneys. 

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

And the NCAA men's and women's basketball tournaments have been cancelled.

The indoor national championships for track/field are still on for this weekend mostly because the athletes were already there. However, the Big 10 and ACC have cancelled their athletics so all of the athletes who qualified are there but aren't allowed to participate.

Edited by ptatc

This is so surreal. This virus has killed but 37 people in the US and 4700 out of 8 billion worldwide, most of those in a country where new cases have leveled off. Because of that society is literally going on haitus before our eyes.  The 9-11 aftermath wasn't even like this.  I am not saying the panic is or isn't warranted, because its very real.  Yet at the same time doesn't make sense. Its like there is something we aren't being told.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SpringfieldFan said:

This is so surreal. This virus has killed but 37 people in the US and 4700 out of 8 billion worldwide, most of those in a country where new cases have leveled off. Because of that society is literally going on haitus before our eyes.  The 9-11 aftermath wasn't even like this.  I am not saying the panic is or isn't warranted, because its very real.  Yet at the same time doesn't make sense. Its like there is something we aren't being told. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=2020-03-11T16%3A56%3A39&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3w6Sk4np78VehWV9f**CVm4XcfKnv3R1xSRvWBqOi4dMgWxgTIJYNqQwM

I strongly urge you to read this article to understand why Italy going from 322 cases to 2,500 cases to 10,000 cases in two weeks broke their entire medical system to the extent that their doctors had to decide who would be left to die. If these numbers spike here in the same ways they have in Italy, the death rate will be catastropically high, because we simply will not have enough doctors / nurses / hospitals / beds / ventilators / resources to tend to the very sick before they get critical and die.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=2020-03-11T16%3A56%3A39&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3w6Sk4np78VehWV9f**CVm4XcfKnv3R1xSRvWBqOi4dMgWxgTIJYNqQwM

I strongly urge you to read this article to understand why Italy going from 322 cases to 2,500 cases to 10,000 cases in two weeks broke their entire medical system to the extent that their doctors had to decide who would be left to die. If these numbers spike here in the same ways they have in Italy, the death rate will be catastropically high, because we simply will not have enough doctors / nurses / hospitals / beds / ventilators / resources to tend to the very sick before they get critical and die.

For all that Italy has had about 800 deaths out of 60 million people. That's horrible and as such needs preventative measures and mitigation, but it still amazes me that the response to that is to flat shut down society. Also, and I hate to go here, but the writer claims training only in political and moral philosophy, and with a byline as an advisor of "Protect Democracy". I just wonder about the objectivity. Again, the manifold response means there IS something to all this IMO. It just doesn't feel like I am aware of whatever gravity is out there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

That's where I'm at. Medical professionals have given this thing high levels of importance but the death toll isn't horrible yet the death toll is getting worse. I literally don't know where to go without hearing this. Grocery stores are emptying out their supply, twitter is all COVID news, sports are halted, etc. It won't be long until UPS, USPS and Fedex shut their services down.

It almost feels like a bad movie.

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpringfieldFan said:

The physician for Congress and the Supreme Court said 80 to 150 million people in the US will likely get infected.

If we take that low number and apply a 1% fatality rate, which I need to stress the stated fatality rate could be higher (if we go by diagnosed cases divided by death) or lower, we get 800,000 dead in the US.

That would have a catastrophic butterfly effect on the healthcare system and the US as a whole.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

For all that Italy has had about 800 deaths out of 60 million people. That's horrible and as such needs preventative measures and mitigation, but it still amazes me that the response to that is to flat shut down society. Also, and I hate to go here, but the writer claims training only in political and moral philosophy, and with a byline as an advisor of "Protect Democracy". I just wonder about the objectivity. Again, the manifold response means there IS something to all this IMO. It just doesn't feel like I am aware of whatever gravity is out there.

it’s not really a great thing to apply 2 weeks of deaths to a whole population as a basis of comparison. This thing geometrically infects people. 

week 1 - 300 people and a few deaths

week 2 - 2500 people and a hundred deaths 

week 3 - 10000 people and 800 deaths 

if they had not shut everything down, 
week 4 would have been 40,000 and thousands of deaths and week 5 would be 160,000 and tens of thousands of deaths, the country would be several times over capacity of resources.

the folks quoted In the article are doctors being forced to make life or death decisions. This dude is a writer. I want him to write the written word. I don’t need him to have a medical degree to convey information from literally the front lines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Everything sucks.  Its kind of sad, but my life legit revolves around sports.  Not sure WTF I am going to do with myself now.  I don't even want to go the germfest that is the gym to burn some stress.  The best 10 days of the year (cbb conf tourneys and march madness) cancelled.  MLB delayed for the foreseeable future.  My other hobby of playing poker is legit probably the worst possible place for spread of this shit.  My enjoyment of day trading is virtually sapped as I (any everyone else) have just been crushed for weeks and am getting close to tapped out.  So bummed. 

Weird times.   

Honeslty I'm already over it.  It's like when you get hurt or something, after the initial "woe is me shit" all  you want to do is work each day to get better as quickly as possibly.  Cancelling all this shit now will allow the season to happen in early summer.  It will be worth it.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

What we are doing won't help. They need to mandate staying home for a week as much as possible. All sick people must stay home indefinitely. 

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Honeslty I'm already over it.  It's like when you get hurt or something, after the initial "woe is me shit" all  you want to do is work each day to get better as quickly as possibly.  Cancelling all this shit now will allow the season to happen in early summer.  It will be worth it.

I just hope to fucking god that losing out on our entertainment for a few weeks/months is the worst that comes of this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I thought it was no games with fans allowed?

The no fans idea is probably toast. The Utah jazz players and the NCAA ref  coming down with it pretty much means games will be cancelled for several months minimum.  

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Baseball can play games with no fans in attendance for a few weeks. Players can get the virus in April, May or June anyway. Play the games with caution and see what happens. 

If you start playing games and players infect each other the union is going to shut it down anyways.