Spring Training Canceled, Season PPD 2 Weeks, IL Gov Recommending May 1st

joejoesox

45 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

What we are doing won't help. They need to mandate staying home for a week as much as possible. All sick people must stay home indefinitely. 

The Senate punted on a bill requiring paid sick leave.

Considering many people live paycheck to paycheck, this ain't happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

That's where I'm at. Medical professionals have given this thing high levels of importance but the death toll isn't horrible yet the death toll is getting worse. I literally don't know where to go without hearing this. Grocery stores are emptying out their supply, twitter is all COVID news, sports are halted, etc. It won't be long until UPS, USPS and Fedex shut their services down.

It almost feels like a bad movie.

Contagion, Outbreak, etc.

I watched The Hot Zone and Pandemic: How to Prevent an Outbreak six episode series as soon as we got quarantined here.  Warning:  Reading about Ebola and Marburg doesn’t help much, lol.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Well then the virus will continue to rapidly spread. Canceling large gatherings in this scenario is putting a band aid on a gun shot wound. If the infected cannot stay home, we are screwed. 

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

I’ve never been one to shout from the top of the hills about term limits...but I’m getting there.

The flip side, of course...is no more FDR’s, either.  

Leadership/experience is undervalued, until you actually need it.  Kind of like government in general, for most.  We love to complain about it, but see what happens when it’s not there in times of crisis to rely upon, to provide a sense of comfort and reassurance. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I could be wrong here, and things are constantly changing, but isn't the NCAA tourney still on?  Games played in empty arenas, but games still on correct?  I saw a bunch of conferences cancelled their tourneys, but in general still on correct?

Ha.  What like 10 minutes after I posted this?  Good timing me.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not where I live.  Unless you want to wait 2 months for check from Boliva that may never come.  

Lol. I have been using Bovada since 2015 and have had 0 issues. Obviously not as good as the major sites since you can't track hand stats of users but its still something. I've cashed out check by courier, wire transfer, and bitcoin.

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

What we are doing won't help. They need to mandate staying home for a week as much as possible. All sick people must stay home indefinitely. 

As long as our president keeps saying everything is fine and we are in control of it, there are a significant number of people who will not stay home when sick yet alone quarantine themselves for a week.   The irresponsibility of his comments is dangerous.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This season is in jeopardy IMO. I hope they don't cancel in month increments. Let's see what happens and go two weeks at a time. But the way sports officials have been acting, it sure seems as if sports leaders have been told in no uncertain terms that they are expecting the worst with hospitalizations, etc. My prediction is no baseball til June at the earliest IF corona isn't that bad. And even then, the experts might say the reason corona isn't so bad is we stopped large gatherings of people and better safe than sorry and let's get to the winter and see how bad it is. We might not have baseball this season is my take.

Just now, DoUEvenShift said:

Lol. I have been using Bovada since 2015 and have had 0 issues. Obviously not as good as the major sites since you can't track hand stats of users but its still something. I've cashed out check by courier, wire transfer, and bitcoin.

Worth remembering btw that paper money has lots of germs on them so use plastic when you can. 

17 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Bovada is pretty garbage for MTT. Not really a cash player. I play ACR occasionally, but just prefer live by a wide margin. 

12 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

I wish we could just cut out Interleague play for the season. Go down to 144 games or something this year. Too bad that the schedule doesn't have Interleague play certain weeks of the season like we used to where there were a couple of weeks straight.

There are 15 teams in each league. There has to be inter league games. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WilliamTell said:

I wish we could just cut out Interleague play for the season. Go down to 144 games or something this year. Too bad that the schedule doesn't have Interleague play certain weeks of the season like we used to where there were a couple of weeks straight.

Seems like we will be carving out something more like Hawk’s infamous 54 game, 1/3rd of the way in “gives you a solid sense of the horses you’ve got“ adage.   At the very least, the last week of March and April, so roughly 30-35 missed.

13 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If you start playing games and players infect each other the union is going to shut it down anyways.

Yep. If we wait until June to play, the virus will still likely be spreading and could still be passed on throughout the stadium regardless. I'd start the season mid April with caution and no fans and see how things play out. 

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

There are 15 teams in each league. There has to be inter league games. 

I would just cancel the all star festivities as they are whack anyway and let the teams play during that period (still would have voting for worthy players). I would also add in 5 double headers for everyone and extend the season one week, since we were starting early anyway. We could still get 150 games in if we can start this thing 3 weeks late. 

38 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yep. If we wait until June to play, the virus will still likely be spreading and could still be passed on throughout the stadium regardless. I'd start the season mid April with caution and no fans and see how things play out. 

But as we saw in the NBA and the college ref that doesn't work either.  Would you test every player and ump before games?. What happens when a player tests positive  and his team is then quarantined? 

45 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

That would result in a slew of lawsuits...everyone could later claim they got sick from attending a game.  Not to mention players, coaches, umpires, etc.

Worse yet, you would have temperature checks or testing stations before entering?

Regardless, the governments of each state will have final decision-making authority...doesn’t really matter what owners or fans or even players would like to see happen (granted, that could change with a force majeure injuction...with owners withholding salaries.)   Doubt they’d go down that road with CBA looming and the likelihood of playing at least 4 - 4 1/2 months of the season.  Of course, service time and contract incentives would have to be readjusted or pro-rated.)  

Remember Yonder Alonso’s at-bats incentive we all worried about a year ago?   Seems like a decade ago with everything that’s going down.

Edited by caulfield12

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That would result in a slew of lawsuits...everyone could later claim they got sick from attending a game.  Not to mention players, coaches, umpires, etc.

Worse yet, you would have temperature checks or testing stations before entering?

Regardless, the governments of each state will have final decision-making authority...doesn’t really matter what owners or fans or even players would like to see happen (granted, that could change with a force majeure injuction...with owners withholding salaries.)   Doubt they’d go down that road with CBA looming and the likelihood of playing at least 4 - 4 1/2 months of the season.  Of course, service time and contract incentives would have to be readjusted or pro-rated.)  

Remember Yonder Alonso’s at-bats incentive we all worried about a year ago?   Seems like a decade ago with everything that’s going down.

That wouldn't be a huge deal if no fans were at the game. Getting sick from attending a game probably wouldn't hold up in court, as you attend sporting events at your own risk. But again, I wouldn't have fans at the game until things got much better and under control. I get your point, but that threat won't go away for long time anyway. The virus won't just die for good anytime soon. If the season started in July, players would still be at risk and the fans would be too. 

31 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

But as we saw in the NBA and the college ref that doesn't work either.  Would you test every player and ump before games?. What happens when a player tests positive  and his team is then quarantined? 

If you wait til mid april and things have calmed down to controllable, the risk in April will be the same as the risk in June or August. The virus isn't going to just die anytime soon and a vaccine won't be ready for at least another year. Players will be at risk even next year. So if you can't play in April you might as well cancel the season and possibly next season too. 

I am trying to remain optimistic that we will have baseball again this season, but because of the need to ramp up pitchers that might be June  rather than April.

On the other hand, I am trying to accept the fact that the season might be gone and just maintain hope that family , friends and all of you stay healthy and strong through this nightmare.

This for Cali and other music aficionados.

I don't think the MLB can afford not to have a season. That is a revenue loss that is significant and something they didn't plan for. It would crater the baseball economy. I also think that a large portion of fans would not come back next season. Will players get paid? I doubt it since sponsors have clauses to get their money back in these situations. It's easy to say cancel everything in life because life is more important, but once the virus slows down in a month, what would we do about our tanked economy?  

Edited by SonofaRoache

Masters gone...wow.  Boston Marathon pushed back to Sept.

Fred Ridley, chairman of Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia, has announced that the 2020 Masters tournament has been postponed.

Ridley said in a statement:

"Ultimately, the health and well-being of everyone associated with these events and the citizens of the Augusta community led us to this decision. We hope this postponement puts us in the best position to safely host the Masters Tournament and our amateur events at some later date."

Edited by caulfield12

Perhaps they could play during the summer months since the virus is supposed to be negated by warm weather. Get the playoffs and Series over before the cold weather returns. Not a perfect solution by any means, but perhaps we can have some baseball. Regardless, I don't see a 162 or 154-game schedule being played.