Spring Training Canceled, Season PPD 2 Weeks, IL Gov Recommending May 1st

joejoesox

2 hours ago, Richie said:

Nice strawman fallacy. 

The point is - Why do you suddenly feel the need to shutdown the world over this and not... something like influenza? Which spreads to all corners of the country, infects and kills so many more than this on an annual basis? This is despite the fact that we have a vaccination for the flu. WHICH ONLY 37% of Americans even bother to take annually. Old people and other vulnerable populations are ALWAYS at risk. For EVERYTHING. CONVID-19 is NOT unique in that regard.

The H1N1 (Swine Flu) outbreak? Sixty million Americans infected, 300,000 hospitalized. It claimed an estimated 12,000 American lives. Did we halt the world? No. 

1,600 have been hospitalized for Coronavirus in the US. 37 dead. WE HAVE HALTED THE WORLD. 

The difference between 2009 and 2020? Social media controls all of our information and is in our face 24 hours a day in the palm of our hands. Allowing you and the other herds of the masses to be totally sucked into this "PANIC! PANIC! PANIC!" mentality. 

I have two MD's in my family who are laughing at how absurd this all is. "Oh, no! Tom Hanks has it! Well, let's shutdown everything!". 

This is all a perfect representation of where we are at as a society. Sincerely, one day we will look back on this and hopefully learn something. This is preposterous. 

It really, really isn't. 

Only 37% of people got the flu vaccine? Well, that raises herd immunity, which right now is non-existent for COVID -19. 

Your selfishness and people in your mindset is a perfect representation of where we are as a society in the US. 

"Fuck you, I got mine." 

Boo hoo I can't watch sports or go to a concert for a few weeks. God forbid we try to save some lives for once. Social media is your straw man. Where did I say to panic? Just try to isolate ourselves for a little bit to slow it down so the men and women on frontlines of this don't need to work themselves to death to treat the sick and wounded. 

Also, this isnt the flu. 

Edited by YoYoIsMyHero
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, Richie said:

Nice strawman fallacy. 

The point is - Why do you suddenly feel the need to shutdown the world over this and not... something like influenza? Which spreads to all corners of the country, infects and kills so many more than this on an annual basis? This is despite the fact that we have a vaccination for the flu. WHICH ONLY 37% of Americans even bother to take annually. Old people and other vulnerable populations are ALWAYS at risk. For EVERYTHING. CONVID-19 is NOT unique in that regard.

The H1N1 (Swine Flu) outbreak? Sixty million Americans infected, 300,000 hospitalized. It claimed an estimated 12,000 American lives. Did we halt the world? No. 

1,600 have been hospitalized for Coronavirus in the US. 37 dead. WE HAVE HALTED THE WORLD. 

The difference between 2009 and 2020? Social media controls all of our information and is in our face 24 hours a day in the palm of our hands. Allowing you and the other herds of the masses to be totally sucked into this "PANIC! PANIC! PANIC!" mentality. 

I have two MD's in my family who are laughing at how absurd this all is. "Oh, no! Tom Hanks has it! Well, let's shutdown everything!". 

This is all a perfect representation of where we are at as a society. Sincerely, one day we will look back on this and hopefully learn something. This is preposterous. 

It is painful to inhabit a world where so many have zero care for anyone but themselves. The abuse of statistics here would be laughable if there weren't people literally dying because of this line of thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

We should have had a national policy in place at least a month ago that would have mandated the closing of all K-12, Universities, professional and college sports, and  events requiring large gatherings of people.   It is sad that this problem was not focused on by  our government until the NBA decided  whether or not they would keep playing games. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quin said:

32 man rosters.

Honestly I think they should go with 28-30 players this year, play a few more double headers, and even if the season doesn't start until May 1st, that should hopefully get about 150 games in. What I care mostly is that the divisional opponents play each other an even amount. I feel those games have to be played. Screw interleague and cut it down as much as we can.

9 minutes ago, tray said:

We should have had a national policy in place at least a month ago that would have mandated the closing of all K-12, Universities, professional and college sports, and  events requiring large gatherings of people.   It is sad that this problem was not focused on by  our government until the NBA decided  whether or not they would keep playing games. 

And actually there are owners that want the NBA to start around Christmas and go to July or August. So I think there's a little bit of a underlining agenda, but it is the right decision to suspend the season at this time in my opinion.

8 hours ago, NWINFan said:

Perhaps they could play during the summer months since the virus is supposed to be negated by warm weather. Get the playoffs and Series over before the cold weather returns. Not a perfect solution by any means, but perhaps we can have some baseball. Regardless, I don't see a 162 or 154-game schedule being played. 

I've heard that while this is possible, it is unlikely because other forms of corona virus (SARS, MERS) were not impacted by warmer weather.  In fact MERS originates in the the Saudi peninsula where it is well, quite warm.  The way this is spreading throughout places like Italy and Iran makes it seem like warmer weather won't help out very much, sadly.

21 minutes ago, tray said:

Closing schools is a double edged sword here.  This disease is much gentler on children (thank goodness), and something like 40% of nurses in this country have school aged children.  If they have to stay home to take care of the kids, it could put even more stress on the health care system.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richie said:

My lord... people need to relax. It's f'ing pneumonia. Not the black plague. Even IF you contract it (quite the slim chance) you'll be healthy in a couple of weeks unless you have pre-existing respiratory conditions. 

Have you seen anything about what is happening in Italy?  It isn't the black death and it isn't smallpox.  But that doesn't mean it isn't something to be taken seriously.  A couple of weeks ago I felt the same way, but in seeing what is happening, it is clear that this isn't something to take lightly.  And if shutting some stuff down for a couple weeks prevents the spread, and we have MLB baseball in April as you suggest, that's great, and this down time would likely have made a huge contribution to that.  If shutting some stuff down does nothing more than buys time for the health care system to prepare to handle this, then it is worth it.  If shutting stuff down spreads out the infections, so the health care system is better able to handle it, then it is worth it.  

South Korea seems to have a pretty darn good handle on this thing.  I hope the powers that be are paying attention to what they are doing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

According to you.

According to the medical leaders in this country, it was very necessary. 

That should be good enough. 

Not at all. Doctors in hospitals all over the country have been briefed on a daily basis on this topic for a long time and believe it to be a MASSIVE overreaction.

Leaders and people in power (who wish to keep power) make political decisions to calm the masses when they panic. They are reacting to us. They don't have a choice. You're losing your mind - so they'll play it extremely safe to appease you. 

And no one is saying that there shouldn't be measures taken. However, shutting down the country is an f'ing joke. 

Edited by Richie
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

It really, really isn't. 

Only 37% of people got the flu vaccine? Well, that raises herd immunity, which right now is non-existent for COVID -19. 

Your selfishness and people in your mindset is a perfect representation of where we are as a society in the US. 

"Fuck you, I got mine." 

Boo hoo I can't watch sports or go to a concert for a few weeks. God forbid we try to save some lives for once. Social media is your straw man. Where did I say to panic? Just try to isolate ourselves for a little bit to slow it down so the men and women on frontlines of this don't need to work themselves to death to treat the sick and wounded. 

Also, this isnt the flu. 

Nice straw man fallacy, AGAIN. Where did I complain about not watching sports? I am complaining about the economy tanking, people dependent on hourly wages not being able to pay bills and small businesses being pushed to the brink of ruin. Your penchant for dishonestly twisting words is off-putting. 

I guess I'm selfish because my cousin, the widowed vocal coach single mother of two - called me asking for a loan since she is horrified that she won't be able to pay her bills. Since her clients are deathly terrified of coming into the studio. I'm SUCH a piece of shit, since my buddies who are bartenders and/or own a restaurant are probably going to have to make that call to their family members soon. 

I can't afford to give that loan either. You know why? I'm a fitness/athletic trainer and I'm worried about my f'ing bottom line. My business has basically evaporated overnight.  

You are lucky to be so privileged that you (apparently) do not have to worry about these things. A LOT of the real world does. 

You agree with shutting down the nation, putting people in financial danger and tanking the economy (even if only temporarily). That is the definition of "PANIC". 

Well, that raises herd immunity, which right now is non-existent for COVID -19

Yet, the flu is still more deadly and prevalent. 

Again, nobody is saying that measures should not be taken. 

Also, this isnt the flu.

Never said it was. Nice straw man. You seriously need to tune-up your debate skills. 

It's definitely not the flu. Influenza has been a way bigger problem, for waaaaayyyy more years. It's also a lot more likely to kill you. 

You think I'm crying over "baseball being gone". That's how utterly and totally dense you are. 

Edited by Richie
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Have you seen anything about what is happening in Italy?  It isn't the black death and it isn't smallpox.  But that doesn't mean it isn't something to be taken seriously.  A couple of weeks ago I felt the same way, but in seeing what is happening, it is clear that this isn't something to take lightly.  And if shutting some stuff down for a couple weeks prevents the spread, and we have MLB baseball in April as you suggest, that's great, and this down time would likely have made a huge contribution to that.  If shutting some stuff down does nothing more than buys time for the health care system to prepare to handle this, then it is worth it.  If shutting stuff down spreads out the infections, so the health care system is better able to handle it, then it is worth it.  

South Korea seems to have a pretty darn good handle on this thing.  I hope the powers that be are paying attention to what they are doing.  

"Not take lightly" and tanking your own economy (financially killing small business and working class people everywhere) is a big difference.

There's a healthy middle ground. Yet, people took a HAMMER to the panic button.  

Edited by Richie

32 minutes ago, Richie said:

Not at all. Doctors in hospitals all over the country have been briefed on a daily basis on this topic for a long time and believe it to be a MASSIVE overreaction.

Tell that to the medical professionals in Italy and Wuhan. 

You're not worth responding to otherwise. The feds should step in to help its citizens - that's all I will say. 

Edit: I will add I will be supporting local business more these next few weeks. I recommend others follow if they are able. 

Edited by YoYoIsMyHero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Richie said:

Nice straw man fallacy, AGAIN. Where did I complain about not watching sports? I am complaining about the economy tanking, people dependent on hourly wages not being able to pay bills and small businesses being pushed to the brink of ruin. Your penchant for dishonestly twisting words is off-putting. 

I guess I'm selfish because my cousin, the widowed vocal coach single mother of two - called me asking for a loan since she is horrified that she won't be able to pay her bills. Since her clients are deathly terrified of coming into the studio. I'm SUCH a piece of shit, since my buddies who are bartenders and/or own a restaurant are probably going to have to make that call to their family members soon. 

I can't afford to give that loan either. You know why? I'm a fitness/athletic trainer and I'm worried about my f'ing bottom line. My business has basically evaporated overnight.  

You are lucky to be so privileged that you (apparently) do not have to worry about these things. A LOT of the real world does. 

You agree with shutting down the nation, putting people in financial danger and tanking the economy (even if only temporarily). That is the definition of "PANIC". 

Well, that raises herd immunity, which right now is non-existent for COVID -19

Yet, the flu is still more deadly and prevalent. 

Again, nobody is saying that measures should not be taken. 

Also, this isnt the flu.

Never said it was. Nice straw man. You seriously need to tune-up your debate skills. 

It's definitely not the flu. Influenza has been a way bigger problem, for waaaaayyyy more years. It's also a lot more likely to kill you. 

You think I'm crying over "baseball being gone". That's how utterly and totally dense you are. 

They aren’t giving people who are sick, test positive and knowingly go to work (or just try to leave the area/enter a healthy zone) punishments ranging from 20-30 years in prison to the death penalty (deliberately spitting or coughing on someone while infected) for the common flu here in China.

Service industries will be hard hit.  One of my best friends is an orthodontist...my mom is almost 91 and living in an assisted living center like the Kirkland Life Care Center in the Seattle area.

I don’t know how much the emergency $500 billion or proposed legislation between the House and Treasury Secretary will help you individually...but it’s being done so every normally successful business (airlines, Boeing, cruise lines, oil/energy companies, amusement park, theatres) doesn’t have to file for Chapter 11.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/13/americas/coronavirus-us-italy-south-korea-lessons-intl/index.html

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 2

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3075164/south-koreas-coronavirus-response-opposite-china-and

If we would have simply followed the Korean plan...we wouldn’t be in the crisis situation we are now.  

And it would have cost a fraction to provide free tests for every American compared to the trillions of dollars of stock market and job losses.  If you want to blame anyone, it’s four presidents over the span of 27 years and both parties in Congress that have failed to create the type of health care system that can handle a global pandemic.  

The buck stops here/there, as Harry Truman famously said.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tim-ziemer-global-health-security-leaves_n_5af37dfbe4b0859d11d02290

And just watch how much more quickly the KBO ramps back up...

Edited by caulfield12

12 hours ago, Richie said:

Right...

Panic, panic, panic.

There is a huge difference between advising for preventative measures (I absolutely agree with being careful) and HALTING THE WORLD. Small businesses and many of those dependent on hourly wages will be murdered by what is taking place. And it wasn't necessary. 

This is correct.

14 hours ago, Richie said:

Nice strawman fallacy. 

I'll tell you what is preposterous: Our government sitting on its ass doing nothing when there were signs of a medical crisis on the way. As far as the MDs in your family: there are plenty of medical experts who disagree with them. And I'll tell you what is really absurd: a congressman went around wearing a gas mask to make fun of it all and now he has been exposed to it. Now that is absurd.

Over 40 people are dead over a short period of time with more on the way. Just what to do you expect to learn? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Sorry this should be to Soxblanco’s MEDIUM article...

The approach of aggregating the data like this isn’t particularly instructive.

If you look at South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and HK...there’s an obvious flattening of the curve, and much more quickly than in China, where it was allowed to temporarily spin out of control for six weeks before draconian mitigation techniques were imposed.

If you look at Italy, Germany, Spain and France...you’ll see the opposite.  (The UK, so far, has been somewhat more protected due to it being isolated from the rest of Europe.)

We are in the middle (between Europe and Asia) because of our isolated location and flight bans...but the severe lack of testing and stubbornness to change behaviors is just wiping out any advantages we had in terms of planning/preparation time.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I'll tell you what is preposterous: Our government sitting on its ass doing nothing when there were signs of a medical crisis on the way. As far as the MDs in your family: there are plenty of medical experts who disagree with them. And I'll tell you what is really absurd: a congressman went around wearing a gas mask to make fun of it all and now he has been exposed to it. Now that is absurd.

Over 40 people are dead over a short period of time with more on the way. Just what to do you expect to learn? 

What do epidemiologists, virologists, and infectious disease experts know???

Just now, Quin said:

What do epidemiologists, virologists, and infectious disease experts know???

This is the result when you have a culture that adheres to alternative facts and disdain for experts. I only follow what Exxon Oil tells me is true. The ultimate goal is what I disdain. I hear we are getting a new pandemic council. Sure wish the previous govt had thought of that. 

• Like 4