Spring Training Canceled, Season PPD 2 Weeks, IL Gov Recommending May 1st

joejoesox

24 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Why cut it off so early? So if this all blows over by August 1st, why do you think they can't play from there? Even if you have a 50-70 game season, how is that not better than no baseball at all?

Yeah, I can't imagine there not being some sort of a season.  Way too much for teams to lose.  If the eight week recommendation by the CDC results in "flattening the curve" of the virus, I could see spring training activities resuming by late May and regular season games starting by mid-June.  Even if games don't start until July or August, they can still manage to put together a 60-80 game season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Stupid question... say no season is played.

Free agency dates would be reset, right?

As in someone who was going to be a free agent in 2021 will now be on the market in 2022.

Like Mookie as an example.

I would think so. Since they wouldn't have the service time to be a free agent.

Edited by soxfan2014

28 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I would think so. Since they wouldn't have the service time to be a free agent.

Not sure that is true. If a player is on the DL for a full season, he still gets service time. I think there needs to be a special determination by MLB how this season will be designated in regards to service time. 

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/service-time

Players receive Major League service time for each day spent on the 26-man roster (it was 25, prior to 2020) or the Major League injured list. Important to players and clubs alike, service time is used to determine when players are eligible for arbitration as well as free agency.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Not sure that is true. If a player is on the DL for a full season, he still gets service time. I think there needs to be a special determination by MLB how this season will be designated in regards to service time. 

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/service-time

Players receive Major League service time for each day spent on the 26-man roster (it was 25, prior to 2020) or the Major League injured list. Important to players and clubs alike, service time is used to determine when players are eligible for arbitration as well as free agency.

If the season isn't played at all though (like the post I responded to said), why should they get service time? Way different between missing season due to injury and a league not playing games due to global pandemic.

Also, if a guy was traded for and 0 MLB games were played this season due to coronavirus pandemic and that guy was eligible to leave in free agency, I would hope that the team that traded for him could reverse the trade and get they players they traded away back.

Edited by soxfan2014

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

is it crazy of me to think that this is a good opportunity to start negotiating for the CBA? Two seasons off would do a lot of damage to the sport imo

I would say there's less than zero percent chance they let this get to a labor impasse at this point. The owners are going to be desperate to play. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 5:14 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

There are 15 teams in both leagues, don’t think your proposal will work.

It would work because if there would be 30 series in a 90 game season and each team would play 2 interleague series. There would be one interleague series at all times. Not like they're going to use it anyway haha. 

• Like 2

Marquee Network really in trouble before it could even get off the ground...great timing, with the Cubs trending downward, and corporate America looking months of uncertainty and stock prices being slashed.   Wonder how many people will end up dumping cable and satellite packages if this gets bad as predicted?  Otoh, the whole family really needs to have entertainment, a diversion from the reality creeping up.

Wouldn’t want to be in that position.  Maybe calmer heads prevail and both sides try to create a win-win deal, but don’t envy the position they find currently find themselves in.

14 hours ago, WilliamTell said:

It would work because if there would be 30 series in a 90 game season and each team would play 2 interleague series. There would be one interleague series at all times. Not like they're going to use it anyway haha. 

🤔...seems like I might have missed the mark on my previous post.

So we’re talking 3 1/2 to 4 months as the realistic timeframe from beginning to end...IF IF IF quarantine executed properly.

Total lockdown quarantine from January 23rd to April 2nd.   Essentially, ten full weeks.

Wuhan, the Chinese city at ground zero of the coronavirus pandemic, will need to see 14 consecutive days of no new cases before travel restrictions can be lifted, a top Chinese health expert told state media on Tuesday.

Speaking to the state-run China Daily newspaper, Li Lanjuan, a member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and senior adviser to the country’s top health authority said:

“If no new case of the coronavirus has been reported for 14 consecutive days in Wuhan following the last reported cases, we believe it will be a time when the lockdown can gradually be lifted.”

Mainland China has seen a steady decline in locally transmitted cases for weeks, even as numbers skyrocketed across the rest of the world. Today, China reported its first day of no new domestic cases since the outbreak started -- all new cases were imported from abroad.

Wuhan had been reporting cases in the single digits leading up to today's announcement.

The rest of the country has been slowly relaxing restrictions on people's movements in the past week, with highways reopening and quarantine stations closing. 

Inter-provincial travel, which had previously been shut down entirely, is gradually resuming. People from other provinces are now allowed into Hubei province, of which Wuhan is the capital, if they pass temperature checks and have the appropriate "health codes" -- color-coded passes that indicate permission to travel.

cnn.com

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Gatherings canceled: Gatherings of 250 or more people have been banned in Singapore until the end of June to stop the virus from spreading, the Health Ministry announced Friday.

For events with less than 250 participants, organizers are required to keep people at least 1 meter (3.3 feet) apart, according to the report.  

• Like 1