Spring Training Canceled, Season PPD 2 Weeks, IL Gov Recommending May 1st

joejoesox

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

They may need to risk not playing in front of fans for a short while if they want to get started ASAP.

Yeah, I would hope they don't wait until fans can be there. If they wait that long it might be too late in the year to start the season. Maybe limit the amount of tickets that can be sold for a while? Don't cram everyone in one section, spread it out a bit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Yeah, I would hope they don't wait until fans can be there. If they wait that long it might be too late in the year to start the season. Maybe limit the amount of tickets that can be sold for a while? Don't cram everyone in one section, spread it out a bit.

It's not just the fans, it's the players #RememberRudy

Yeah many of these guys are in shape, but the numbers in this country are still showing substantial fractions of people in the 20-40 range winding up hospitalized. Imagine Mike Trout being on a ventilator because baseball needed to open its doors.

And then you have the coaches, broadcasters to worry about. You've still got 40 people in a confined space, and substantial interstate travel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

It's not just the fans, it's the players #RememberRudy

Yeah many of these guys are in shape, but the numbers in this country are still showing substantial fractions of people in the 20-40 range winding up hospitalized. Imagine Mike Trout being on a ventilator because baseball needed to open its doors.

And then you have the coaches, broadcasters to worry about. You've still got 40 people in a confined space, and substantial interstate travel.

Right, but if state governments Nationwide clear gatherings of say, 500, they might be good to go.

Holding out for 30,000 might cost the season, just because they want fans.

Edit: If you're only cleared for a limited amount of people and no fans, use the extra room. Sit space out and sit in the stands.

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Players would also be the problem.  If they start playing games and a player or coach gets diagnosed, the whole team would be quarantined for 2 weeks. 

Way too early to predict anything.  No one rally knows what will happen over the next 6-8 weeks.  I'm still optimistic that baseball will happen this year.  If the "all clear" is given by late May, the regular season could start by mid to late June.

There could be a lot of developments by then.  Or we could be where we're at now.

I received a call today from my rep with the local minor league team letting me know that their season is going to start Friday May 15th. He said "things may change" but he thinks this date is solid. It makes sense for MLB to relaunch baseball at all levels on the same date so my guess is that the 15th is the target date for MLB as well. 

Source: Random guy on the internet that is a season ticket holder for the local minor league team and runs a business that sponsored the local minor league team in previous seasons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeeElia said:

I received a call today from my rep with the local minor league team letting me know that their season is going to start Friday May 15th. He said "things may change" but he thinks this date is solid. It makes sense for MLB to relaunch baseball at all levels on the same date so my guess is that the 15th is the target date for MLB as well. 

Source: Random guy on the internet that is a season ticket holder for the local minor league team and runs a business that sponsored the local minor league team in previous seasons. 

That seems really optimistic to me. At this point, I’d be shocked if the MLB season started before June 1st. I think it’s possible that the entire season is cancelled.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fathom said:

I can’t imagine mass gatherings over 250 or so will be allowed until a vaccine is discovered.  I’ve already predicted there will be no football this season.

I think they will have better data on how to manage the virus by summer time and at that point, they'll play, but with no fans, possibly to your point, we might have each sport play an almost entire season (if not whole season) without fans. That said, ratings will be HUUUGE.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LeeElia said:

Welcome aboard.  

4 hours ago, LeeElia said:

Welcome aboard man!

A lot will depend on the next two weeks. If social distancing works I could see games without fans starting in late may. 

But if the situation in major cities like new York tilts and hospitals are so full that people die on the streets like in parts of italy and Spain there would be a good chance there is no pro sports in 2020. I mean if NYC health care collapses I don't see games happen but if the increase levels off it could happen.

It possible they will definitely go for empty stadiums over no games because that would cost lots of money but most important is TV money.

The only way fanless games are not considered is when mlb believes they can start full stadium games before early may so they can do close to a full season. But since that is highly unlikely those empty seats games won't really cost mlb money because the limit is time and not games played so those lost live gates early in the season could never be caught up later in the season anyway.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:08 AM, fathom said:

I can’t imagine mass gatherings over 250 or so will be allowed until a vaccine is discovered.  I’ve already predicted there will be no football this season.

As a Colts fan with Luck retiring there wasn't any football for me last season.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

There will be no baseball this year. The Government is saying even with social distancing going through June, 100k people will die from Coronavirus by August. We were unprepared and incompetent leadership screwed us over. 

We'll know more in the next month. After all, KBO may still play. I hope mlb.tv or someone picks up those rights. Would love to watch.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

We'll know more in the next month. After all, KBO may still play. I hope mlb.tv or someone picks up those rights. Would love to watch.

Yeah, but the US situation is much worse right now. I am praying that things don't go sideways and people will be okay. Our Congress needs to stop fighting and get stuff down ASAP. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah, but the US situation is much worse right now. I am praying that things don't go sideways and people will be okay. Our Congress needs to stop fighting and get stuff down ASAP. 

It is much worse, and this month is going to be horrible for so many. But in the beginning of March we were testing around 2-3k people per day. Now we are around 110k, and about to deploy at least 50k a day from abbot labs that are rapid tests and compatible at most hospitals on site. If by the end of april we are at 300k/day, and by end of may it may be at the production level where tests can be administered at a wide enough basis that things like sports could be conducted due to their ability to test asymptomatic people daily. We'll just have to wait tos ee how it plays out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

It is much worse, and this month is going to be horrible for so many. But in the beginning of March we were testing around 2-3k people per day. Now we are around 110k, and about to deploy at least 50k a day from abbot labs that are rapid tests and compatible at most hospitals on site. If by the end of april we are at 300k/day, and by end of may it may be at the production level where tests can be administered at a wide enough basis that things like sports could be conducted due to their ability to test asymptomatic people daily. We'll just have to wait tos ee how it plays out.

I'm hopeful that the increase in testing makes a difference.  I'm still being optimistic that we'll have baseball this year.  They can still start as late as July and still play 80-90 games without going into October.  The next 30 days will be very telling.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I agree. But I don't think baseball will play out of respect. If the Government and doctors are correct and 100k people die by the summer, baseball will be respectful and not have a season. Now if they are all wrong and say, 20k people die but the virus is dying fast, it may be different. But again, I think it will be more of a moral issue for baseball than a logistics one. 

24 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I'm hopeful that the increase in testing makes a difference.  I'm still being optimistic that we'll have baseball this year.  They can still start as late as July and still play 80-90 games without going into October.  The next 30 days will be very telling.

Not having a baseball season would be devastating for the Sox, but public safety is more important obviously. Our window would get pushed back to 2022. Also, I think if they play 100 games, they need to let at least 8 teams from each league in the playoffs. Have a few best of three series and a few byes in each league. This is important in my opinion because it keeps teams and fans engaged the entire season and makes the playoffs more exciting for fans. It also limits how much tanking would go on.