Spring Training Canceled, Season PPD 2 Weeks, IL Gov Recommending May 1st

joejoesox

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you look at the data there is no spot in North America that has even reached the peak of the curve yet, even NY. 

The peak is still 2-4 weeks away in most places, in the most optimistic scenarios. 

if you look at the data WA has already turned the curve.  New cases are flat here.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Washington state had a very bad early outbreak, and isn't nearly done with this.  California is still accelerating up the curve.

Not really.  It was never "very bad" here because we almost immediately shut down after the first case and death at the nursing home.  Things are "fine" here for the most part.  The hospitals are busy but not overwhelmed.  People should be looking at Seattle and WA state as an example of how you can come out of this.  We have probably 2 weeks left, maybe 3-4.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

if you look at the data WA has already turned the curve.  New cases are flat here.

Ok, just saw that recently. 

They're the only ones. 

I don't see how these restrictions can be lifted for the forseeable future. This is going to completely change life. 

Confirm City of Toronto has banned public events thru June 30 which includes Rogers Centre. 

MLBTR thinks baseball is included in the ban given the issues with 50K people gathering.

Edited by pcq

8 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea better to over-react than under-react but no need to push it out that far right now.

Why not just have the Blue Jays start on the road for two weeks (or the first 7-10)...but that would require lots of changes in the scheduling, undoubtedly.

Would have to look at the actual schedule for June to check the feasibility, their might be a natural flow in the schedule to jump on if they can relax the rules for 3 months from now by a week or so.

Getting baseball back would be huge for the national psyche.   When you look at football, that depends on so much close physical contact and derives more revenue from a limited number of packed home games, MLB is easier to get going without the fans IMO.

Edited by caulfield12

There's been some decent news over the last 24 hours. With the CDC pulling in the reigns on some of their projections, NY/NJ/Louisiana hospitalizations going down and NY governor stating that he now believes they have all of the necessary supplies. After he put on quite the theatric display stating the polar opposite a little over a week ago. 

Edited by Richie

1 hour ago, Richie said:

There's been some decent news over the last 24 hours. With the CDC pulling in the reigns on some of their projections, NY/NJ/Louisiana hospitalizations going down and NY governor stating that he now believes they have all of the necessary supplies. After he put on quite the theatric display stating the polar opposite a little over a week ago. 

We have a thread for the politics of this on off topic forum.  Let's keep this to baseball and not cheerleading politicians.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

We have a thread for the politics of this on off topic forum.  Let's keep this to baseball and not cheerleading politicians.

?

Who in the hell cheerleaded a politician? Are you serious? What's the difference between me saying "Hey, nice! Good news!". VERSUS... "Hey, this situation is bad! The whole season is probably over! Society is going to be shut in forever! Did you hear how bad it is?"

How is this even "politics"? Are you being serious? This has to be a joke. Who brought up politics? We're talking about the virus/potential of baseball season.

I'm cheerleading for the country and for baseball.

EDIT: I keep editing this thing because I cannot wrap my mind around what I have just read. Where did I make any kind of a "political" point? I keep trying to think about it through your lens and look for something. 

I am utterly floored by your post. Floored. 

Edited by Richie
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Richie said:

?

Who in the hell cheerleaded a politician? Are you serious? What's the difference between me saying "Hey, nice! Good news!". VERSUS... "Hey, this situation is bad! The whole season is probably over! Society is going to be shut in forever! Did you hear how bad it is?"

How is this even "politics"? Are you being serious? This has to be a joke. Who brought up politics? We're talking about the virus/potential of baseball season.

I'm cheerleading for the country and for baseball.

EDIT: I keep editing this thing because I cannot wrap my mind around what I have just read. Where did I make any kind of a "political" point? I keep trying to think about it through your lens and look for something. 

I am utterly floored by your post. Floored. 

6 hours ago, Richie said:

I had to re-read my post and make sure I didn't type it in another language or something, but when you are talking about politicians (you know, the people who engage in politics, such as Governors?) and passing judgement on their actions being "theatrical", that pretty clearly passes into politics. There is a thread specifically for this.  Hopefully that is simple enough.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I had to re-read my post and make sure I didn't type it in another language or something, but when you are talking about politicians (you know, the people who engage in politics, such as Governors?) and passing judgement on their actions being "theatrical", that pretty clearly passes into politics. There is a thread specifically for this.  Hopefully that is simple enough.

It may as well have been in another language. I don't think I have ever been more thoroughly confused at a post on a message board in my life. 

First off, you said "cheerleading". Not "passing judgement" (which this wasn't either). Regardless, way to move the goal posts. Am I cheering the guy or judging him? Lol. Those are two polar opposite actions. You realized your post made no sense and now you have to change the complaint entirely. 

Again, name ONE political point I made. Do it. Go ahead, do it. 

I literally stated a factual account of events that happened and announcements pertaining to this virus. The virus impacting the start of baseball. That is not talking politics. That is not "political banter" or "political opinion". When I watch a car drive by 100 MPH and go "that car was going fast"... it doesn't mean I'm diving deep into the nuance of automotive engineering. 

Yes, I brought up the governor. Do you know WHY I did that? BECUASE HE MADE THE ANNOUNCEMENT RELEVANT TO THE PROGRESS OF THE VIRUS. Holy f'n crap. This must be an alternate reality. 

My post was observant, factual and an account of something that happened. NOT MY INTRPETATION OF THAT ACCOUNT OR AN OPINION. 

- We had good news today

- That place that's the biggest hotspot in the world for the virus? Yeah, it's getting better.

- Even the leader of that area came out today and said so. 

- Just a week ago he was scared and said things were horrible

All of this is VERY simple and = GOOD NEWS

Nothing more. Nothing less. Observe good news, report good news. "YAY!"

Good freakin riddance. 

Edited by Richie

1 minute ago, Richie said:

It may as well have been in another language. It was that nonsensical. I don't think I have ever been more thoroughly confused at a post on a message board in my life. 

First off, you said "cheerleading". Not "passing judgement" (which this wasn't). Regardless, way to move the goal posts. What a joke! You realized your post made no sense and now you have to change the complaint entirely. 

Again, name ONE political point I made. Do it. Go ahead, do it. 

I literally stated a factual account of events that happened and announcements pertaining to this virus. The virus impacting the start of baseball. That is not talking politics. That is not "political banter" or "political opinion". When I watch a car drive by 100 MPH and go "that car was going fast"... it doesn't mean I'm diving deep into the nuance of automotive engineering. 

Yes, I brought up the governor. Do you know WHY I did that? BECUASE HE MADE THE ANNOUNCEMENT RELEVANT TO THE PROGRESS OF THE VIRUS. Holy f'n crap. This must be an alternate reality. 

My post was observant, factual and an account of something that happened. NOT MY INTRPETATION OF THAT ACCOUNT OR AN OPINION. 

- We had good news today

- That place that's the biggest hotspot in the world for the virus? Yeah, it's getting better.

- Even the leader of that area came out today and said so. 

- Just a week ago he was scared and said things were horrible

All of this is VERY simple and = GOOD NEWS

Nothing more. Nothing less. Observe good news, report good news. "YAY!"

Good freakin riddance.

Have your little tantrum all you want.  The bottom line is that political stuff needs to stay in the political threads. 

If you can't tell the difference, we have staff members trained to help you out with it.  If you want to complain more about life is unfair, feel free to PM.

Going forward, baseball stuff can be on the baseball boards.  If it isn't, it doesn't belong here.