Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
joesaiditstrue

Spring Training Canceled, Season PPD 2 Weeks, IL Gov Recommending May 1st

Recommended Posts

I was a pretty big glove guy when I played (not sure about a few others here who wlso played) so thought this was pretty cool.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Quin said:

They may need to risk not playing in front of fans for a short while if they want to get started ASAP.

Yeah, I would hope they don't wait until fans can be there. If they wait that long it might be too late in the year to start the season. Maybe limit the amount of tickets that can be sold for a while? Don't cram everyone in one section, spread it out a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t imagine mass gatherings over 250 or so will be allowed until a vaccine is discovered.  I’ve already predicted there will be no football this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Yeah, I would hope they don't wait until fans can be there. If they wait that long it might be too late in the year to start the season. Maybe limit the amount of tickets that can be sold for a while? Don't cram everyone in one section, spread it out a bit.

It's not just the fans, it's the players #RememberRudy

Yeah many of these guys are in shape, but the numbers in this country are still showing substantial fractions of people in the 20-40 range winding up hospitalized. Imagine Mike Trout being on a ventilator because baseball needed to open its doors.

And then you have the coaches, broadcasters to worry about. You've still got 40 people in a confined space, and substantial interstate travel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

It's not just the fans, it's the players #RememberRudy

Yeah many of these guys are in shape, but the numbers in this country are still showing substantial fractions of people in the 20-40 range winding up hospitalized. Imagine Mike Trout being on a ventilator because baseball needed to open its doors.

And then you have the coaches, broadcasters to worry about. You've still got 40 people in a confined space, and substantial interstate travel.

Right, but if state governments Nationwide clear gatherings of say, 500, they might be good to go.

Holding out for 30,000 might cost the season, just because they want fans.

Edit: If you're only cleared for a limited amount of people and no fans, use the extra room. Sit space out and sit in the stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Yeah, I would hope they don't wait until fans can be there. If they wait that long it might be too late in the year to start the season. Maybe limit the amount of tickets that can be sold for a while? Don't cram everyone in one section, spread it out a bit.

Players would also be the problem.  If they start playing games and a player or coach gets diagnosed, the whole team would be quarantined for 2 weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way too early to predict anything.  No one rally knows what will happen over the next 6-8 weeks.  I'm still optimistic that baseball will happen this year.  If the "all clear" is given by late May, the regular season could start by mid to late June.

There could be a lot of developments by then.  Or we could be where we're at now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a call today from my rep with the local minor league team letting me know that their season is going to start Friday May 15th. He said "things may change" but he thinks this date is solid. It makes sense for MLB to relaunch baseball at all levels on the same date so my guess is that the 15th is the target date for MLB as well. 

Source: Random guy on the internet that is a season ticket holder for the local minor league team and runs a business that sponsored the local minor league team in previous seasons. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeeElia said:

I received a call today from my rep with the local minor league team letting me know that their season is going to start Friday May 15th. He said "things may change" but he thinks this date is solid. It makes sense for MLB to relaunch baseball at all levels on the same date so my guess is that the 15th is the target date for MLB as well. 

Source: Random guy on the internet that is a season ticket holder for the local minor league team and runs a business that sponsored the local minor league team in previous seasons. 

 

 

That seems really optimistic to me. At this point, I’d be shocked if the MLB season started before June 1st. I think it’s possible that the entire season is cancelled.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fathom said:

I can’t imagine mass gatherings over 250 or so will be allowed until a vaccine is discovered.  I’ve already predicted there will be no football this season.

I think they will have better data on how to manage the virus by summer time and at that point, they'll play, but with no fans, possibly to your point, we might have each sport play an almost entire season (if not whole season) without fans. That said, ratings will be HUUUGE.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LeeElia said:

I received a call today from my rep with the local minor league team letting me know that their season is going to start Friday May 15th. He said "things may change" but he thinks this date is solid. It makes sense for MLB to relaunch baseball at all levels on the same date so my guess is that the 15th is the target date for MLB as well. 

Source: Random guy on the internet that is a season ticket holder for the local minor league team and runs a business that sponsored the local minor league team in previous seasons. 

 

 

Welcome aboard.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LeeElia said:

I received a call today from my rep with the local minor league team letting me know that their season is going to start Friday May 15th. He said "things may change" but he thinks this date is solid. It makes sense for MLB to relaunch baseball at all levels on the same date so my guess is that the 15th is the target date for MLB as well. 

Source: Random guy on the internet that is a season ticket holder for the local minor league team and runs a business that sponsored the local minor league team in previous seasons. 

 

 

Welcome aboard man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Safe would be closed play at ST parks and drive yourself to the games. They are planning on 29 person rosters. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot will depend on the next two weeks. If social distancing works I could see games without fans starting in late may. 

But if the situation in major cities like new York tilts and hospitals are so full that people die on the streets like in parts of italy and Spain there would be a good chance there is no pro sports in 2020. I mean if NYC health care collapses I don't see games happen but if the increase levels off it could happen.

It possible they will definitely go for empty stadiums over no games because that would cost lots of money but most important is TV money.

The only way fanless games are not considered is when mlb believes they can start full stadium games before early may so they can do close to a full season. But since that is highly unlikely those empty seats games won't really cost mlb money because the limit is time and not games played so those lost live gates early in the season could never be caught up later in the season anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 11:08 AM, fathom said:

I can’t imagine mass gatherings over 250 or so will be allowed until a vaccine is discovered.  I’ve already predicted there will be no football this season.

As a Colts fan with Luck retiring there wasn't any football for me last season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Bad news

 

There will be no baseball this year. The Government is saying even with social distancing going through June, 100k people will die from Coronavirus by August. We were unprepared and incompetent leadership screwed us over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

There will be no baseball this year. The Government is saying even with social distancing going through June, 100k people will die from Coronavirus by August. We were unprepared and incompetent leadership screwed us over. 

We'll know more in the next month. After all, KBO may still play. I hope mlb.tv or someone picks up those rights. Would love to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bmags said:

We'll know more in the next month. After all, KBO may still play. I hope mlb.tv or someone picks up those rights. Would love to watch.

Yeah, but the US situation is much worse right now. I am praying that things don't go sideways and people will be okay. Our Congress needs to stop fighting and get stuff down ASAP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×