Kopech Service Time

I think  it was pretty clear they were going to play the service time with Kopech to gain that year back by bringing him up in mid-may or whatever.. If the season gets suspended until may or even June (I know its only 2 weeks right now), how will this affect that strategy?  Are we kinda screwed from using it?  Our only defense was his arm wasn't ready... 

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think  it was pretty clear they were going to play the service time with Kopech to gain that year back by bringing him up in mid-may or whatever.. If the season gets suspended until may or even June (I know its only 2 weeks right now), how will this affect that strategy?  Are we kinda screwed from using it?  Our only defense was his arm wasn't ready... 

The service time issue is something they will have to solve for in coming days

The minor league season was scheduled to start on April 9th. That's also pushed back. Service time issues are interesting now. It could benefit the club with a guy like Nick Madrigal and hurt the club in Kopech's case. If they start the season around May 15th (that might be conservative at this point), Kopech should come up soon after. The year likely stays burned regardless. 1 full year of service is 172 days and this season likely won't even encompass that at this rate. They could probably start Madrigal right away and he wouldn't accrue a year under current CBA. I wonder if changes are coming somehow. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The minor league season was scheduled to start on April 9th. That's also pushed back. Service time issues are interesting now. It could benefit the club with a guy like Nick Madrigal and hurt the club in Kopech's case. If they start the season around May 15th (that might be conservative at this point), Kopech should come up soon after. The year likely stays burned regardless. 1 full year of service is 172 days and this season likely won't even encompass that at this rate. They could probably start Madrigal right away and he wouldn't accrue a year under current CBA. I wonder if changes are coming somehow. 

There is going to be so much weird shit come out of this.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I mean guys that had 5.0 years of service time coming into this season....are clubs going to get an extra year of control?  A lot of unanswered questions on this.  

Wouldn't that effect a guy like Mazara? Rangets out him on the opening day roster when he first came up. Could we potentially see a third year of control (assuming we even want him beyond this one)?

20 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Wouldn't that effect a guy like Mazara? Rangets out him on the opening day roster when he first came up. Could we potentially see a third year of control (assuming we even want him beyond this one)?

If they reduce the number of games and don't modify the service time clock, ya it would.

I assume they'll modify the service time clock, or way too may weird instances would happen.  MLBPA isn't going to let their players get fucked over by some freak virus.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If they reduce the number of games and don't modify the service time clock, ya it would.

I assume they'll modify the service time clock, or way too may weird instances would happen.  MLBPA isn't going to let their players get fucked over by some freak virus.  

They're going to probably adjust service time on a percentage basis. That's actually good for the PA, as it gets minor leaguers up and earning MLB salaries sooner. 

So let's say the usual season is 180 days and Kopech needs to be down for 46 in order to gain the extra year.....that's 25.56%.  Let's say there's 100 games, and 110 days in the season. Under that assumption, Kopech would need to be down 28 days. 

Just prepare for them to play service time games with him regardless. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 9:33 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I mean guys that had 5.0 years of service time coming into this season....are clubs going to get an extra year of control?  A lot of unanswered questions on this.  

I'm just going to guess that any missed time will still count as service time. Therefore Kopech will be eligible whenever his original service time date was. This seems to make the most sense in light of the circumstances.

Would anybody be on board with trying to get that extra service year back and possibly more with a contract extension? Risky move, and who knows if Kopech would even be open to it. With his stuff, I feel confident he could be a valuable bullpen piece at worst. 

45 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Would anybody be on board with trying to get that extra service year back and possibly more with a contract extension? Risky move, and who knows if Kopech would even be open to it. With his stuff, I feel confident he could be a valuable bullpen piece at worst. 

I am always open to contract extensions for good top flight prospects.  Some don't work, but when you do get a great deal (Eaton/Quintana) you get a significantly more valuable trade asset than the player itself (sale was crazy valuable regardless).

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Kopech needs to just play right away. If we start in June, there should be no restrictions and we should just extend him. 

Does Kopech come from a wealthy family? I wonder how open he would be to an early extension.