If the season is lost, how will it affect players?

Jack Parkman

Will the guys be paid for not playing? My guess is there is no season with fans, but they could probably have some sort of tournament in late August and September unless our country is really doomed? You'd think at some point it'd be moderately safe to possibly play games with no fans before the next wave of this hits in next flu season. So would guys get full salaries for a 6 week season with no fans at games?

Edited by greg775

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

Another factor to mix in will be their individual work ethics. Who gets fat - who gets fit. 

For sure.  I don't think the season will be cancelled but everybody that sat on their ass for two months and then has to go into camp again in May isn't going to be in peak readiness by June.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-quarantine-intl-hnk/index.html
Looking more and more possible...Hong Kong, China, South Korea and Singapore now dealing with second waves of outbreaks after letting their guards down a bit.

Guess Josh Donaldson’s aging faster than Grandal...haha...maybe all this time off will really help the catchers’ bodies rebound, though. 

14 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

One big question - do guys get a year of service time? Does Bryant become a free agent if there's no 2020 season?

Well he's not a free agent after this year so no.

But to your point, I'm thinking no one gains service time since there are no games being played. So no, I don't think guys who are free agents after this season will be free agents.

I wonder if MLB players can collect unemployment. Obviously most players on MLB roster are pretty set financially. But other than those who signed big bonuses, many minor league players could be hurting with not playing if they are getting getting any compensation.  

Going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Of course, not nearly as interesting as actually watching some damn baseball.  We're less than 2 weeks into this thing and it sure doesn't seem like an end is in sight.  

It would suck for every team to lose a year of their window but teams at the start of their window still are in a better situation.

Sucks way more when it happens towards the end of your window, sometimes this is your only shot (like the royals when they won their WS and shortly after the team fell apart). If you lose that year (nats maybe too last year who also were more towards the end of a 5-6 year window, albeit they were already supposed to be after the window after harper left).

At least the sox will have 4-5 more chances after 2020 if 2020 doesn't happen.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Of course, not nearly as interesting as actually watching some damn baseball.  We're less than 2 weeks into this thing and it sure doesn't seem like an end is in sight.  

Crazy how this would be opening weekend and I'd be hyped through the roof and now it's hardly even a thought in the back of my mind.  Sports are important, until they're not.

34 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

It would suck for every team to lose a year of their window but teams at the start of their window still are in a better situation.

Sucks way more when it happens towards the end of your window, sometimes this is your only shot (like the royals when they won their WS and shortly after the team fell apart). If you lose that year (nats maybe too last year who also were more towards the end of a 5-6 year window, albeit they were already supposed to be after the window after harper left).

At least the sox will have 4-5 more chances after 2020 if 2020 doesn't happen.

I don't think 2021 is happening either, and then you have a labor dispute upcoming after that. 

The best case scenario for all sports is to resume in the fall of 2020 with no fans, and fall of 2021 with fans. 

We're probably 18 months from sports returning. It will be too late to save the 2021 baseball season by then. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think 2021 is happening either, and then you have a labor dispute upcoming after that. 

The best case scenario for all sports is to resume in the fall of 2020 with no fans, and fall of 2021 with fans. 

We're probably 18 months from sports returning. It will be too late to save the 2021 baseball season by then. 

That’s way way way too extreme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Do you ever get tired of overreacting, apologizing, being mature for 13 minutes, overreacting, apologizing and then repeating that cycle over and over?

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

China is doing much better now. They've even had days of no new cases. We must be careful, but this won't be a year long deadly virus. Hopefully by June the virus will be much weaker and we will have treatment for it. 

23 hours ago, runtheballdown said:

Everyone will lose a year of progression or be a  year closer to regression. I would the teams with the youngest rosters would be affected  the least. A guy like EE might have his career ended if he takes a year off.

I was thinking a lot about EE and how he might never a play a game in a White Sox uniform. 

It would definitely be bad for a team like the White Sox with a young, developing roster. 

I do not believe the season is entirely lost, though. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

If we aren't ready to play baseball in a year, that means we have WAY bigger problems than baseball.  Mankind is screwed if this lasts that long.

That's not my opinion, that's the experts opinion. 

Basically all studies that I've seen say that large gatherings shouldn't be allowed until there's a vaccine, which is 12 months away in a best case scenario. 

I don't think everyone realizes what's about to happen. The cat is already out of the bag; the damage has already been done. 

Just accepting loss of life won't fix everything either. 

Read this study, and the measures that need to be taken over the next 18 months. Nobody's going to like what they're going to hear. 

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1