If the season is lost, how will it affect players?

Jack Parkman

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

China is doing much better now. They've even had days of no new cases. We must be careful, but this won't be a year long deadly virus. Hopefully by June the virus will be much weaker and we will have treatment for it. 

These things come in waves after normalcy surfaces. Canadian military is preparing for one year of response ready status. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

China is doing much better now. They've even had days of no new cases. We must be careful, but this won't be a year long deadly virus. Hopefully by June the virus will be much weaker and we will have treatment for it. 

Day 5....but many imported by travelers into Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai.

1 hour ago, Richie said:

I was thinking a lot about EE and how he might never a play a game in a White Sox uniform. 

This is just the universe taking extreme measures to ensure Gio Gonzalez never plays a game for the White Sox

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Richie said:

I was thinking a lot about EE and how he might never a play a game in a White Sox uniform. 

It would definitely be bad for a team like the White Sox with a young, developing roster. 

I do not believe the season is entirely lost, though. 

At least they didn't trade for him like other teams dealt for guys with one year control (Betts).

7 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Hopefully it stays dormant in China. That is going to be the big thing to see....how long does this stay down for.  

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's not my opinion, that's the experts opinion. 

Basically all studies that I've seen say that large gatherings shouldn't be allowed until there's a vaccine, which is 12 months away in a best case scenario. 

I don't think everyone realizes what's about to happen. The cat is already out of the bag; the damage has already been done. 

Just accepting loss of life won't fix everything either. 

Read this study, and the measures that need to be taken over the next 18 months. Nobody's going to like what they're going to hear. 

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

I Think they will play the game (just without fans). I would be surprised if there weren't actions taken at some point to allow the teams to play. We'll know a lot more about how the virus impacts people and age demograhpics, etc, to where they can start taking calculated risks for certain activities (based upon known data).  What might happen though is select coaches/players are unable to come back / need to take extended hiatus because they are higher risk.  

We had local infections again in Wuhan...even hemorrhagic fever outbreak in Shaanxi Province, so not returning to normal for at least another two weeks now.

SIGH. 

Phew.  Finally got an official FREEDOM DAY.  January 23rd until April 8th.  Eleven weeks.  Definitely not 15 days.

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Hopefully it stays dormant in China. That is going to be the big thing to see....how long does this stay down for.  

The problem is we are flattening the curve, so the virus may be here much longer, and a new sharp increase in the curve could happen. 

I'm wondering what it could look like in terms of scheduling if fans were not in attendance. No need for teams to travel as much. They could designate five stadiums to host games with six teams assigned to each stadium at a time. Play a round robin schedule of 20 games each with three games played per day then rotate teams after all the games are played. It's basically a TV show at that point. Pick five stadiums within a reasonable driving distance and they could avoid all air travel.  

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I Think they will play the game (just without fans). I would be surprised if there weren't actions taken at some point to allow the teams to play. We'll know a lot more about how the virus impacts people and age demograhpics, etc, to where they can start taking calculated risks for certain activities (based upon known data).  What might happen though is select coaches/players are unable to come back / need to take extended hiatus because they are higher risk.  

I think professional sports will be considered a low priority in term of bringing the country back to some stage of normalcy. So if there is a cure or if new cases drop radically then we will hear talk of "no fan" sports starting up. I think baseball could be the last sport  if we are talking 6+ months down the road since weather is a factor limiting it over the other 3 major sports. 

12 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think professional sports will be considered a low priority in term of bringing the country back to some stage of normalcy. So if there is a cure or if new cases drop radically then we will hear talk of "no fan" sports starting up. I think baseball could be the last sport  if we are talking 6+ months down the road since weather is a factor limiting it over the other 3 major sports. 

Being outdoors helps a bit.

MMA or WWE was one that was going forward until the halt.   Golf without patrons wouldn’t be dramatically different for non-majors.   Football becomes a lot more complicated due to the amount of contact and number of players/coaches/staff associated with each team. 

2 hours ago, SCCWS said:

I think professional sports will be considered a low priority in term of bringing the country back to some stage of normalcy. 

I'm not certain I would agree with that. I believe sports could be a big part of bringing back normalcy. It's one of those uniting events. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Being outdoors helps a bit.

MMA or WWE was one that was going forward until the halt.   Golf without patrons wouldn’t be dramatically different for non-majors.   Football becomes a lot more complicated due to the amount of contact and number of players/coaches/staff associated with each team. 

But 6 months down the road will be September. The other 3 sports could start then but I doubt baseball will due to the outdoor element. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

I'm not certain I would agree with that. I believe sports could be a big part of bringing back normalcy. It's one of those uniting events. 

I agree.  I could see baseball coming back sooner with closed spring training at home parks and maybe even starting the regular season without fans in attendance.

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Just my opinion, it could be a part but the big part of normalcy will be getting the average person back to school and work.  Then reopen things like churches, beaches and parks.  Finally sports and entertainment ( i.e. large public crowds) and anything else.

9 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I agree.  I could see baseball coming back sooner with closed spring training at home parks and maybe even starting the regular season without fans in attendance.

I think the only hope for sports until we have a vaccine is MAYBE games without fans. I would say this season is over.  But maybe next season could start in June with no fans. No chance for NBA, NHL the rest of this season and next (seasons start during flu season). College football season is out of the question unless it's deemed safe with no fans. College basketball season will be wiped out in 2020-21, hiopefully 21-22 will be played maybe with no fans. Just my takes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

I think the only hope for sports until we have a vaccine is MAYBE games without fans. I would say this season is over.  But maybe next season could start in June with no fans. No chance for NBA, NHL the rest of this season and next (seasons start during flu season). College football season is out of the question unless it's deemed safe with no fans. College basketball season will be wiped out in 2020-21, hiopefully 21-22 will be played maybe with no fans. Just my takes.

This seems very unlikely.  I'm still betting on there being baseball this year.  I highly doubt they'll be playing a full season or even close to a full season, but they're going to do everything in their power to have a season this year.  I doubt that the NFL will be affected, and the winter sports shouldn't be affected either.

However, we can probably all agree that no one knows anything right now.  Purported experts are spouting theories every day, and we're hearing everything from another month or so to "oh my god the world has ended".

56 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It appears to be based on a championship season. If a championship is played thisbyear, service time will be accrued. 

It's what they can negotiate at this point. Earlier reports claim the CBA calls for number of games in the season. Which to me means credit would include a year that they play the required number of games but the playoffs or WS are canceled.

The National Football League is closing all its team facilities starting later today due to the coronavirus pandemic.

In a memo sent to teams Tuesday night, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell detailed league-wide guidelines "to ensure that all clubs operate on a level playing field, and that the NFL continues to conduct itself in a responsible way at this time."

The league set guidelines, according to the memo, that all teams' facilities will remain closed starting today at 6 p.m. local time to all personnel, except the following:

source CNN.com

Long time reader, don't post on here all that often.

Lot of conjecture going on here right now! Which is cool, because this is a message board, where opinions can be thrown about without recourse.

That said, I wish some of you would go back to talking about how tomorrow's weather 'would' have impacted the game. How inconsiderate the Sox are for not cancelling before people take the day off work, or how big of a dick move it would have been to allow 33,000+ people inside the stadium in to sell beer, etc. just to make money before cancelling it, which they could have done at 9:00am. Maybe, some of you can talk about how bad we look after low-balling Manny Machado. At least some of those topics, we all have minor knowledge on.

TURN OFF CNN FOLKS! This isn't political at all! TURN IT ALL OFF!

If some of you really don't think there will be a 2020-2021 basketball or hockey season, or a 2021 baseball season with fans, etc. you are doing exactly what the media wants you to do! Panic! This specific virus will never go away permanently. Just as H1N1 is still around, AIDS is still around, etc. The thousands of brilliant scientists in the world will come up with something to help with this.

I'm worried that with the relentless negativity, along with the isolation we are experiencing, some of you might not be around to enjoy the 2022 World Series Championship (played in Chicago, with fans).

Relax, wash your hands and watch Tiger King!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

I agree that the season is over. I think it would hurt the players if they went a long time with no live action. I am hoping some live action without fans can happen. But since I am far from a medical expert, I don't know how bad things will get, and if any live action is possible. Otherwise, speculating about this drives me crazy. It would be great to get some good news for a change.