If the season is lost, how will it affect players?

Jack Parkman

https://theathletic.com/1698008/2020/03/25/how-mlb-can-get-creative-experiment-and-make-the-most-of-a-delayed-season/?source=dailyemail

Excellent ideas...including starting season with ASG, more seven inning doubleheaders, minor league extra inning rules, 30 team or expanded sudden death playoff format, playing into Nov and Dec at only warm weather or domed stadiums.

Can’t forfeit year to NBA playoffs and get squeezed by NFL/NCAA fb. 

13 hours ago, QBBrian13 said:

Long time reader, don't post on here all that often.

Lot of conjecture going on here right now! Which is cool, because this is a message board, where opinions can be thrown about without recourse.

That said, I wish some of you would go back to talking about how tomorrow's weather 'would' have impacted the game. How inconsiderate the Sox are for not cancelling before people take the day off work, or how big of a dick move it would have been to allow 33,000+ people inside the stadium in to sell beer, etc. just to make money before cancelling it, which they could have done at 9:00am. Maybe, some of you can talk about how bad we look after low-balling Manny Machado. At least some of those topics, we all have minor knowledge on.

TURN OFF CNN FOLKS! This isn't political at all! TURN IT ALL OFF!

If some of you really don't think there will be a 2020-2021 basketball or hockey season, or a 2021 baseball season with fans, etc. you are doing exactly what the media wants you to do! Panic! This specific virus will never go away permanently. Just as H1N1 is still around, AIDS is still around, etc. The thousands of brilliant scientists in the world will come up with something to help with this.

I'm worried that with the relentless negativity, along with the isolation we are experiencing, some of you might not be around to enjoy the 2022 World Series Championship (played in Chicago, with fans).

Relax, wash your hands and watch Tiger King!

I did take your advice. A few days ago I stopped watching. Now if I'm surfing and I get a headline that's crazy I'll open it. But I can't take this. I am getting in habit of not being able to do much tho.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Gov. Cuomo just pushed the timeline for apex or peak to the end of April, with deaths extending in a straight line in June/July/August.

First time the possibility of no baseball this season really hit home.

It's becoming fairly obvious there will be no spectator sports for a long time. I would say if we are lucky, there could be MLB starting maybe in August with no fans. Same with college football. Maybe have a 2 week training camp in July and start the season Aug. 1 with no fans. Also maybe some sort of reduced NBA playoffs and NHL playoffs starting in August with no fans. This is only if the teams can make a significant more amount of money via their TV deals than the payoff of their catastrophic insurance contracts. If TV wants no part of this, then my guess is seasons will be canceled very soon.

I'd bet no winter sports (NBA, college basketball, NHL) during flu season which could signal the return of corona without vaccines.

I would think the hope would be resumption of spectator sports in summer of 2021 if we are lucky. Perhaps sports without fans before then if we are lucky.

Please tell me I'm wrong, but I just don't see any league risking allowing large groups of people getting together so soon after the lockdown/shutdown of major cities. It's too much too fast, too risky. Also I would bet nonessential businesses will be out of action until August-September and who knows if they'll have to close again during flu season. The economy? What economy? Nobody will be working or very few will be working. Ugh what a horrible time in world history.  We should use this post of mine as start of a threat, predict what's going to happen with MLB season and other sports seasons.

Edited by greg775

https://theathletic.com/1723090/2020/04/03/rosenthal-mlb-pondering-games-in-empty-spring-parks-but-many-obstacles-remain/?source=weeklyemail

KBO starting sometime in May.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-president-trump-wants-sports-194343096.html

NFL, as we noted many times, will be even more difficult because of the physical contact and numbers of players/coaches/staff.

NCAA FB season will clearly be jeopardized if classes don’t return on time in August.  Could be decisions about a partial season that need to be made, but hope it doesn’t come to that.

Of course, the subtext beyond all of this is whether mass political rallies can return in September and October

Edited by caulfield12

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

NCAA FB season will clearly be jeopardized if classes don’t return on time in August.  Could be decisions about a partial season that need to be made, but hope it doesn’t come to that.

At some point, the almighty dollar will have to be considered about the future of sports, period. At what point is TV money affected? Do the networks have unlimited funds to basically fund college sports and pro sports with fans out of the equation? 

Edited by greg775

Can someone clarify if my understanding is correct that players will be given their service time if the season is cancelled?  So could this be the reason the White Sox optioned Kopech as early as they did?   What does this do for players no longer on their rookie deals who signed long term, like Eloy, TA, Robert, and Moncada?  I'd imagine the Sox would get the full benefit of the "years in contract" and the service time deal no longer applies.  

Video at mlbtr speculating shortened season could help sox.

1. More time for kopech and rodon to come back from injury 

2.young guys could come up and perform right away with less time for the league to find holes in their swing

3. The old players will wear down less as the Sox have very young and some 34+ yo players but not many of the 27-31 year olds who tend to be good and very durable 

4. Possibly innings limit for young pitchers could be less of an issue 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/04/how-the-white-sox-could-benefit-from-a-shortened-season.html