Sox option Kopech

soxfan49

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know who might have any ideas, but is there any implications for this action?  Are other teams making these kinds of moves?  I know we are in a once in a 100 years event, but I am curious why these are still happening.

I would guess since these games are technically "PPD" its more procedural incase this time happens to count towards service time. Which is why I guess you would option him before what would have been the start of the season. Just my guess.

And yes, other teams have made these moves. 

Edited by soxfan2014

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know who might have any ideas, but is there any implications for this action?  Are other teams making these kinds of moves?  I know we are in a once in a 100 years event, but I am curious why these are still happening.

Just trying to get that year of service back. Make sure he is not on the MLB roster when the season starts, whenever that is.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would think that teams wouldn't have to decide rosters right now though, no?

I'm thinking teams are treating this as if nothing will change regarding service time dates. If the season is shortened, MLB may stick with the regular dates and count this time now as the season. 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm thinking teams are treating this as if nothing will change regarding service time dates. If the season is shortened, MLB may stick with the regular dates and count this time now as the season. 

are all of the other teams making these kind of moves?

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

are all of the other teams making these kind of moves?

A quick google news search shows that just from the top 4 headlines today, the Rays optioned 7 players today, the Angels optioned 4 players, and the Nationals optioned 6 players.  I'm too lazy to search more. 

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

So no one really knows whats going to happen or what will count as service time, I think this is the smart thing to do.

If teams are doing this, I think it's obvious where we will be headed. It's also been discussed that players will accrue service time if no season is played. I think MLB will still count today and moving forward as time earned in the usual manner. If the season starts in June, 60 plus days would have been accrued towards service time. It helps the players for sure, and teams still get the extra year if they bring players along as they would have. It also ensures the best players will be on the field from day one. 

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

If teams are doing this, I think it's obvious where we will be headed. It's also been discussed that players will accrue service time if no season is played. I think MLB will still count today and moving forward as time earned in the usual manner. If the season starts in June, 60 plus days would have been accrued towards service time. It helps the players for sure, and teams still get the extra year if they bring players along as they would have. It also ensures the best players will be on the field from day one. 

I mean, he was going to start in the minors regardless having 5 MLB options on the roster.

MLB and MLBPA came to agreement. Players will get credit for a full year of service time regardless of how many games are played, assuming some number of games actually are played. 

If 2020 season doesn’t happen, players will get the amount of service time they got in 2019. Absolute nightmare scenario for Sox with Kopech. 

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

MLB and MLBPA came to agreement. Players will get credit for a full year of service time regardless of how many games are played, assuming some number of games actually are played. 

If 2020 season doesn’t happen, players will get the amount of service time they got in 2019. Absolute nightmare scenario for Sox with Kopech. 

Yep, might as well have Kopech start the season with the team if his arm is ready. Maybe give him 2 or 3 tuneup starts in Charlotte.

But in a likely shortened season, each game holds more significance than usual so the Sox should have their best pitchers out there as soon as possible.