Field of Dreams Game Cancelled

Quin

On 6/28/2020 at 12:20 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

I thought the White Sox were the ones who came up with the idea?  Find it pretty far fetched that somehow we wouldn’t be involved

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Oh I see DVS is confirming it so it does have legs.

Should've been the Reds MLB but whatevs.

I enjoyed The Exorcist but ghosts in the cornfields does not inspire me. 

On 6/28/2020 at 1:18 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Does anyone really care that much? This idea never really moved the meter for me. I think the movie is terrible though. 

Yes. My dad and I were ready to pay up to 2k and split a ticket. Not that I'm sure if it was even feasible since the ticket situation never came to fruition but they were saying tickets would exceed super bowl prices if some did become public. Obviously far fewer quantity but people cared.

23 hours ago, 2Deep said:

I agree....should have been Reds.

When do we find out about this years schedule?  I know who we play but was wondering how it lays out 

I don't understand why it should be the Reds. Are we confusing movies here ? It's "Field of Dreams" not "Eight Men Out". What did the Reds vs. The White Sox have to do with the movie Field of Dreams ? I know Joe Jackson was the 1st ghost to appear but it's not like the 1919 Word Series was part of the plot. Joe Jackson is only significant because he was the favorite player of Costner's Dad in the film. How does remembering the biggest black eyed season baseball has ever had match up in calling it a Field of Dreams game.? Is it wonderful to celebrate that terrible incident ? Field of Dreams celebrates the glory of the game itself and how baseball has been with us through the years as a symbolic thread that binds us and has built bonds between fathers and sons through something as simple as playing catch.

I keep seeing a few guys saying it was a terrible movie. Maybe you just don't see why people who love baseball love this movie. Maybe it requires a couple of things to love it, I would suggest watching Ken Burns Baseball documentary, all 9 innings of it and having played catch with your old man many many times through the years. If you did not do that as a child then please do it with your son or daughter every chance you get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2Deep said:

Why cardinals? 

Not being ignorant but need to understand that tie in to field of dreams

I would assume it is because the Cardinals probably have the biggest fan base of any Central team not named the Cubs. And I doubt the MLB wanted to force the Sox & Cubs to travel when they can easily play their games in the same city. 

• Like 1

Admittedly, I was never into this game to begin with, but why have it this year? The extra travel, unfamiliar location, certainly a challenge for the estabished protocols, no fans. The state government of Iowa seems to be under the Trump administration’s spell that the pandemic ended because Trump needed to see people cheer him again at rallies.  You are just asking for trouble.  Just delay it until next year. Field of Pipe Dreams is what they should call it this season. Seems silly to risk 2 teams health for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Admittedly, I was never into this game to begin with, but why have it this year? The extra travel, unfamiliar location, certainly a challenge for the estabished protocols, no fans. The state government of Iowa seems to be under the Trump administration’s spell that the pandemic ended because Trump needed to see people cheer him again at rallies.  You are just asking for trouble.  Just delay it until next year. Field of Pipe Dreams is what they should call it this season. Seems silly to risk 2 teams health for this.

As much as I loved the movie, I am not really into this game. But if they are going to have it, next year would be better. Hopefully, then, things would be much safer and the event will be more fun. I still have doubts that any real baseball will be played this year.

22 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't understand why it should be the Reds. Are we confusing movies here ? It's "Field of Dreams" not "Eight Men Out". What did the Reds vs. The White Sox have to do with the movie Field of Dreams ? I know Joe Jackson was the 1st ghost to appear but it's not like the 1919 Word Series was part of the plot. Joe Jackson is only significant because he was the favorite player of Costner's Dad in the film. How does remembering the biggest black eyed season baseball has ever had match up in calling it a Field of Dreams game.? Is it wonderful to celebrate that terrible incident ? Field of Dreams celebrates the glory of the game itself and how baseball has been with us through the years as a symbolic thread that binds us and has built bonds between fathers and sons through something as simple as playing catch.

I keep seeing a few guys saying it was a terrible movie. Maybe you just don't see why people who love baseball love this movie. Maybe it requires a couple of things to love it, I would suggest watching Ken Burns Baseball documentary, all 9 innings of it and having played catch with your old man many many times through the years. If you did not do that as a child then please do it with your son or daughter every chance you get.

I agree my favorite baseball themed movie and I was in Major League.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

I agree my favorite baseball themed movie and I was in Major League.

You were ? Is your name in the credits ? Extra ? I actually like Bull Durham more. It's just funnier and has  baseball groupies in it .Field of Dreams takes a while to let the viewer know the purpose of the voice and ghosts so the significance of Ray's relationship with his Dad never quite gets the attention it should ,We never do find out why Ray is the one to get a chance to repair  his relationship with his father by way of baseball  when plenty of kids and fathers screwed up their relationship and never get to repair it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

19 hours ago, 2Deep said:

Why cardinals? 

Not being ignorant but need to understand that tie in to field of dreams

The only team that matters is the White Sox. The other team means very little. It's only the Cardinals because they fit into the schedule based on teams playing other teams according to geographic location and how close it is to Iowa, , The very last team MLB would have picked is the Reds, The original team chosen , the Yankees, also had nothing to do with the plot of Field of Dreams. I would imagine the criteria for picking the teams was 1. Had to be the White Sox because of the main ghost being Joe Jackson and 2. a team that has the power to attract a lot of fans on TV .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anybody have any more info on this game?  Any reason to believe there will be any point in making the drive out (either to attend—which seems unlikely—or at least to get close/watch from a cornfield/somehow soak up the ambience in a season where we’re all starved for normal baseball contact high)?

• Heads22 changed the title to Field of Dreams Game Canceled
  • Heads22 changed the title to Field of Dreams Game Cancelled