Field of Dreams Game Cancelled

Quin

I'm 100% ripping off a Reddit thread that proposed this, but depending on when the season starts, how would everyone feel about the Sox and Yankees opening the season at the Field of Dreams?

This is already gonna weird season, but it would have massive sentimental feel.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

What was the original proposed date?

Mid August.

To start the season with Field of Dreams sounds great on paper. Not sure how the logistics work out. Construction on the stadium is not completed yet and I'm not sure how the virus is affecting its progress.

If the season starts sometime in June, which sounds like the hope right now, I'm unsure if the site would be ready. If the season isnt able to be underway until August, I'm not sure we'll even have a season at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

Mid August.

To start the season with Field of Dreams sounds great on paper. Not sure how the logistics work out. Construction on the stadium is not completed yet and I'm not sure how the virus is affecting its progress.

If the season starts sometime in June, which sounds like the hope right now, I'm unsure if the site would be ready. If the season isnt able to be underway until August, I'm not sure we'll even have a season at all.

Yeah, if there's not a season until mid-August. We have bigger problems than trying to open at the Field of Dreams. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

That would mean that we would be quarantining until the end of the year.

I don't think that can happen without there being chaos in the streets.

I think this "quarantine" will happen roughly until about Juneish. But large gatherings, probably until next year.

1 hour ago, Cashman said:

I think this "quarantine" will happen roughly until about Juneish. But large gatherings, probably until next year.

These leagues would probably be ok with empty stadiums and TV money rather than nothing at all, but they still need plans for what to do if and when their own (traveling) players get sick and I don't have a good answer to that. 

On 3/28/2020 at 10:02 AM, chetkincaid said:

That would mean that we would be quarantining until the end of the year.

I don't think that can happen without there being chaos in the streets.

Actually that sounds about right. If there is some kind of vaccine. It won't even be before 2021 most likely with all the steps they have to go through. Hopefully something helpful, some way of dealing with it becomes the norm before then that can save lives.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Since the yankees have dropped out I will be pissed if the Cubs are the replacement. They better not do that shit

Why do you think it would be the cubs? And if so, why would it be that upsetting? 

The cubs have a big national draw that will bring eyeballs to the tv screen. I'd love an opportunity to embarrass them with all of America watching and make a statement game with our young players as a team to watch.

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Why do you think it would be the cubs? And if so, why would it be that upsetting? 

The cubs have a big national draw that will bring eyeballs to the tv screen. I'd love an opportunity to embarrass them with all of America watching and make a statement game with our young players as a team to watch.

It becomes a Cubs home game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

They are on the shortlist of replacements according to wsd. And because all the chicago media coverage will be about them rather than this being a sox event. Plus iowa is all cubs fans and theyll fill up the stadium

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

They are on the shortlist of replacements according to wsd. And because all the chicago media coverage will be about them rather than this being a sox event. Plus iowa is all cubs fans and theyll fill up the stadium

I'm naive on the ticket situation, but I thought it was something like 8000 tickets split evenly between the two organizations with season ticket holders given priority. If that's the case, I wouldn't think Sox season ticket holders would give those up easily, but I'm probably mistaken on the ticket allocation.

If it was a 30,000 capacity stadium, I agree that would be harder to fill up against the local Cubs fans, but 8000 shouldn't be too hard to fill out quota.

Edited by MiddleCoastBias

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

That would be amazing actually. 

For what it's worth, I wasn't saying this sarcastically. If it's the Black Sox and we need a Midwest team, and if the Central Divisions are going to be merged, make it the team the Black Sox tossed the World Series against.

4 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

This isn't going to be a public event.  With as few tickets as will be available this is going to all be VIPs. Add in social distancing and you could even be at a fraction of the seats, and that is if they let anyone in at all.

• Heads22 changed the title to Field of Dreams Game Cancelled