Pandemic Reading

Texsox

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you are into that I would also recommend

The Road to Jonestown, Heaven's Gate: America's UFO religion, Member of the Family, and Prophet's Prey.

None of those will help me close deals. No thanks. 

8 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The one with Gary Sinise?  Haha, yes it was very cheesy.  Still worth a watch though.  Ironically, one of King’s worst novels translated to the big screen the best — have you watch The Outsider on HBO?

The Outsider is solid...just finished about three weeks ago.  Never been a huge Ben Mendelsohn fan before this one, but Cynthia Erivo really brings a supernatural edge to the proceedings.

On 3/30/2020 at 6:02 PM, caulfield12 said:

Krakauer books are a worthwhile read, as well.  Kingdom of God, but the one on Everest (Into Thin Air) and Into the Wild continues to be a classic.   Three Cups of Deceit if you are interested in non-profit.

All the Michael Lewis books are pretty great too, although some might feel a bit dated today.  Bad Blood if interested in business, or the new Picketty on Economics.

After reading Into Thin Air I read another three or four accounts all revolving around that same storm on Everest. All were from different points of view and all reached different conclusions. 

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

After reading Into Thin Air I read another three or four accounts all revolving around that same storm on Everest. All were from different points of view and all reached different conclusions. 

Yeah, the breathtaking (and heartbreaking) documentary is what really got me interested in the reading.  Usually, it’s the other way around.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, the breathtaking (and heartbreaking) documentary is what really got me interested in the reading.  Usually, it’s the other way around.

I couldn't believe the Beck Weathers story. Being left for dead -- twice and surviving. 

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I couldn't believe the Beck Weathers story. Being left for dead -- twice and surviving. 

Yeah, I can still vividly remember the sat call from one of the wives to her husband.

As far as Texas goes, any thoughts on the best place to live (looking at five year old’s future educational needs) between San Antonio, Round Rock and Austin (might be too pricey by then.)   Really have poignant impressions of Riverwalk still from years and years ago.  Looking more at five years down the line from now...when we come back from China.  Have family in Dallas/Plano.

The other area under consideration is Albuquerque, because of the climate.

Finally, my cousin wrote almost 75 books (aimed at middle schoolers) on Texas, Civil War and history of the West/Native Americans.  Not sure how many are still in print, but worth checking out for young students.  His name is Gary Clifton Wisler, he actually became pretty good friends with Carl Everett of all people in the last decade of his life.

Round Rock and Austin are growing quickly and getting expensive to live. They would be an easier drive to Dallas (if 35 is finished by then). There are two areas growing quickly in San Antonio. My district is part of the growth to the northwest. 

It certainly was lucky for many that the Weathers family was connected and had the resources to get helicopters moving half way around the world. 

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I lived in Webster (other side of I-45 from NASA) and Conroe when I was young and loved them both.  If I was ever to leave my hometown, those places would be on the list of considerations for sure.

Having lived in the Quad Cities, Iowa, Augusta (GA), SE Asia and especially Wuhan...escaping extreme humidity is a significant consideration.

Colombia...the finca/farm/coffee growing region between Cali and Medellin was the best overall weather in the world.

Santa Fe, NM was another city I looked at, but too cold at night due to elevation.

On 4/2/2020 at 5:18 PM, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, I can still vividly remember the sat call from one of the wives to her husband.

As far as Texas goes, any thoughts on the best place to live (looking at five year old’s future educational needs) between San Antonio, Round Rock and Austin (might be too pricey by then.)   Really have poignant impressions of Riverwalk still from years and years ago.  Looking more at five years down the line from now...when we come back from China.  Have family in Dallas/Plano.

The other area under consideration is Albuquerque, because of the climate.

Finally, my cousin wrote almost 75 books (aimed at middle schoolers) on Texas, Civil War and history of the West/Native Americans.  Not sure how many are still in print, but worth checking out for young students.  His name is Gary Clifton Wisler, he actually became pretty good friends with Carl Everett of all people in the last decade of his life.

I've spent a lot of time in ABQ and Santa Fe - had family out there, my sister lived there, I owned property in NM, etc. DM me if you want to chat about living in NM.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive started reading Dune. Pretty good! 

I’ve tried to get in more genre work for fiction since I usually fade fast in it and like nonfiction stuff more. Started some spy/mystery stuff last year, and I do think the world building / political stuff in dune so far is very entertaining. Maybe I’ll Veer into more sci fi classics.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Ive started reading Dune. Pretty good! 

I’ve tried to get in more genre work for fiction since I usually fade fast in it and like nonfiction stuff more. Started some spy/mystery stuff last year, and I do think the world building / political stuff in dune so far is very entertaining. Maybe I’ll Veer into more sci fi classics.

Dune is great.  The sequels, not so much.

I recently read Dark Matter and Recursion by Blake Crouch which were both really fast and fun sci-fi reads.

3 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

Dune is great.  The sequels, not so much.

I recently read Dark Matter and Recursion by Blake Crouch which were both really fast and fun sci-fi reads.

The good news is I almost never get past the first book of a series so dune is tailor made for my habits.