AJ Reed retires

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

The man who blocked Yermin. Never forgive, never forget.

Yermin was in AA when Reed was in the bigs.  He wasn't a realistic option.  If he was blocking anyone, he was blocking Collins.

Also, I figured something was up with Reed.  He was still in the Sox org, but didn't appear in any ST games. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yermin was in AA when Reed was in the bigs.  He wasn't a realistic option.  If he was blocking anyone, he was blocking Collins.

Also, I figured something was up with Reed.  He was still in the Sox org, but didn't appear in any ST games. 

Players do go straight from AA to the majors sometimes.  Yermin wasn’t getting any younger and the Sox were awful with no sign of a DH.  I don’t see how you can say that he wasn’t a realistic option, case closed.  As far Collins, they likely wanted him catching more games in the minors rather than DH’ing.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

37 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Players do go straight from AA to the majors sometimes.  Yermin wasn’t getting any younger and the Sox were awful with no sign of a DH.  I don’t see how you can say that he wasn’t a realistic option, case closed.  As far Collins, they likely wanted him catching more games in the minors rather than DH’ing.

It really wasn't a bad move, other than Rickie batting Reed 4th.  I mean, if the Sox really like Yermin and think he could be a cheap DH after Jose there wasn't any reason to start his clock late last summer when Reed was floating around for nothing but a 40 man spot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There was no good reason why Yermin didn't get a September call up last year if they were just going to add him to the 40 man in the winter.  That I agree with.  Wasting ABs on Castillo in September was super stupid. 

But there was nothing wrong with rolling the dice on Reed when they did.  He was a guy they had interest in for a few years, and fit a club need (left handed DH).  It was unlikely to work based on his recent history, and it didn't. He sucked balls in 44 PA, and was jettisoned. 

The Yermin folklore among some Sox fans is something.  He'll get a chance at some point, but he's likely going to be nothing more than an Astudillo that is measurably worse at catching and can't even fill in elsewhere on the field in a pinch.  He's nice to have around, but I am not going out of my way to make space for a guy like that.  

• Like 2

I see nothing wrong with giving reed a chance. After all he was a top prospect. It didn't work but those reclamation projects are exactly what you need to try, sometimes a change of scenery does motivate a player who got stuck in his old org. Now motivation  isn't everything and really most of the time it doesn't work but if they only saw a 30% chance it could have worked it would have been worth the gamble. Yermin is a cool story and he earned a chance with his perfomance but he is not the kind of prospect you create an opportunity for.

The one it really sucked for was Collins, he should have given more playing time. I also wonder why Collins didn't catch more, it would have hurt the pitchers but who cares last year when the team was going nowhere anyway 

20 hours ago, pcq said:

Yermin was a bit of fun and would have been interesting as 26th man. When players make you take notice you take notice. Reed was the opposite. Anything more is exaggeration. 

The proposal for when the season starts again has teams starting with 29 man rosters for the first month. Yermin I'm sure will make the team.

Assuming this gets better and there is a season of course.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I see nothing wrong with giving reed a chance. After all he was a top prospect. It didn't work but those reclamation projects are exactly what you need to try, sometimes a change of scenery does motivate a player who got stuck in his old org. Now motivation  isn't everything and really most of the time it doesn't work but if they only saw a 30% chance it could have worked it would have been worth the gamble. Yermin is a cool story and he earned a chance with his perfomance but he is not the kind of prospect you create an opportunity for.

The one it really sucked for was Collins, he should have given more playing time. I also wonder why Collins didn't catch more, it would have hurt the pitchers but who cares last year when the team was going nowhere anyway 

Giving Reed a shot was absolutely the right move