RIP Ed Farmer

aboz56

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I always thought it started out as a complete mismatch and awkwardness mixed with a crabby old guy, which kind of turned into a long series of inside jokes.  I spent a lot of time broadcasting myself, and always paid extra close attention to the home teams announcers and never heard anything like Farmer and DJ.

I always thought it was their gimmick/shtick.  DJ would play dumb and Farmer would act annoyed and clown him...  similar to Benetti and Stone on the TV broadcast.

RIP Farmer.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

There’s a great story Mitch Rosen told about him. He grew up without a lot but his Mom saved some money to take him and his brother to Yankee Stadium and his mom asked a security guard to let them in since they wanted to see Yankee Stadium and they were out of town. The security guard told them to get lost. He noticed the security guard was missing a thumb. 

He debuted at Yankee Stadium and was driven to the field by a security guard from the bullpen. He noticed the thumb was missing and turned to the guy saying, “You son of a b****, you're the guy that told my mom off so many years ago when we were at Yankee stadium! Now I'm pitching at Yankee Stadium. You can go fuck yourself!"

RIP Ed Farmer. Swing and a long one to left! Go crazy! 

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Sad news. I probably liked him more than most - especially when he was paired with Rooney. Underrated announcer.

I agree when Rooney and Farmer were together it was great.  Farmer MUCH better color guy than PBP.  I can't help think of '05 without thinking of some of Rooney and Farmer's calls.

Quick Farmer story....I got to caddie for him once as a kid.  He was a great guy, took time to talk to me even as a kid.  He was especially enjoyable to talk to considering all I wanted to talk about was the White Sox.  I think it was around '02 or '03.  He was a very good golfer at that time as well...not sure how many times he played Olympia Fields CC, but he played pretty well for a guest.

I wasn't as much of a fan of him with DJ, probably mostly because I think Farmer was better suited for color than PBP, but I will certainly miss his voice whenever regular life can resume.

RIP Farmer, you will be missed by Sox Nation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

My favorite Farmism. He will be missed.

It may be frowned upon, but I wish announcers who grew up Sox fans (like Jason) would fold in Hawkisms and Farmerisms once they settle in.

It'd be a nice way to see a vocabulary grow across generations of Sox announcers.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Quin said:

It may be frowned upon, but I wish announcers who grew up Sox fans (like Jason) would fold in Hawkisms and Farmerisms once they settle in.

It'd be a nice way to see a vocabulary grow across generations of Sox announcers.

I totally agree.  I would love to hear Jason drop some Hawkims and Light em up.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

The Farmer stories on the radio the last day are awesome.

I get the feeling DJ is as hard hit as any as my guess is there was a bond there similar to a father and son or older brother.

The one about him actually missing the PK home run and improving the call after them came back from commercial was my favorite.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

wait whaat?!?

I wish I could remember who said it, but whoever was the producer in the studio that night told the story on twitter yesterday.  Basically Ed went to commerical for the station ID, meanwhile PK steps up and first pitch granny.  They get back as he is rounding 3rd base, and then Farmer improves the call as if it happened live.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wish I could remember who said it, but whoever was the producer in the studio that night told the story on twitter yesterday.  Basically Ed went to commerical for the station ID, meanwhile PK steps up and first pitch granny.  They get back as he is rounding 3rd base, and then Farmer improves the call as if it happened live.

wow, i want to hear it now. Sounds unbelievable the crowd noise wouldn't be noticeable. But it was definitely his best call ever and the one of the world series.