ESPN: MLB looking at May start, all games in AZ, several changes

soxfan49

44 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is exactly where I am.  They can play on the back fields in Arizona with no fans at all, but if there is a game on the TV, I will be thrilled.

Agreed but I am incredibly interested to know the effect on players and their outcomes.

Closers are a great example; coming in the game in a big spot with fans going nuts and adrenaline pumping. It's going to be weird for players to not have any sort of pump up support. Fans; itll just be like watching the game in a bar with the sound off but for players... you can get adrenaline and etc from fans.

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Agreed but I am incredibly interested to know the effect on players and their outcomes.

Closers are a great example; coming in the game in a big spot with fans going nuts and adrenaline pumping. It's going to be weird for players to not have any sort of pump up support. Fans; itll just be like watching the game in a bar with the sound off but for players... you can get adrenaline and etc from fans.

Plus as was said earlier, we have the King of Arizona in Adam Engel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Seriously?  Bruh I've never wanted anything sports related so bad.  I DGAF if they are playing on an iceberg.  Just play games!

Not saying I won't watch. But it is like getting turned down by your girl and settling for a slump buster to date. Better than nothing but.....not the same. 

31 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

That was the point I was making as well. How can a player get fired up without fans there? How can you celebrate a division title or championship with no fans there? Great teams are great because they win on the road in tough environments, but if all games are neutral what impact will that have? 

On 4/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, Middle Buffalo said:

July thru September outside in AZ are no joke. I assume they’d play night games, but it’s actually humid during those months in addition to being 100+ every day. 

yeah...they'd have to be night games but it's still 100º+ at 7pm out here a lot of times. Hell...I played in Peoria Summer League for a dozen years or so in June and July...double headers every Sunday at 8am...and it was still brutal.  They may have to consider morning games if that's their plan.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

That was the point I was making as well. How can a player get fired up without fans there? How can you celebrate a division title or championship with no fans there? Great teams are great because they win on the road in tough environments, but if all games are neutral what impact will that have? 

I've seen players fired up from little league to independent ball with very few, if any, fans there. I'm certain they will do just fine. We've all heard stories of insane practice altercations. If players can get fired up practicing, they can get fired up with their careers on the line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Wanne said:

yeah...they'd have to be night games but it's still 100º+ at 7pm out here a lot of times. Hell...I played in Peoria Summer League for a dozen years or so in June and July...double headers every Sunday at 8am...and it was still brutal.  They may have to consider morning games if that's their plan.

My kids’ morning soccer games in September and some of October were brutal just to sit on the sideline under an umbrella or tent, and at the time I was conditioned to it by working outside. It wasn’t much better at night.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I've seen players fired up from little league to independent ball with very few, if any, fans there. I'm certain they will do just fine. We've all heard stories of insane practice altercations. If players can get fired up practicing, they can get fired up with their careers on the line. 

Yeah but they are now accustom to crowds and having crowds for those moments. I'm talking big emotional moments in the major league, not practice. I'm sure they will make do but athletes have already said it won't be the same and I agree. They will do it because they need to get paid, but still. 

9 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

On an individual statistical level, I think you'd have to throw away the season. Not just closers, but every player. There are so many factors (many of which are weather-related) that will make the offensive environment markedly different from any other season.

That said, I hope they get it done. Passan's piece is very encouraging and I suggest you all read it. Getting CDC approval was a major step and they seem to have planned this out really well. It would be cool to see the electronic strike zone in action too

34 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

On an individual statistical level, I think you'd have to throw away the season. Not just closers, but every player. There are so many factors (many of which are weather-related) that will make the offensive environment markedly different from any other season.

That said, I hope they get it done. Passan's piece is very encouraging and I suggest you all read it. Getting CDC approval was a major step and they seem to have planned this out really well. It would be cool to see the electronic strike zone in action too

I'm mostly curious about the minor league situation. What happens in case of injuries?

4 hours ago, Quin said:

I'm mostly curious about the minor league situation. What happens in case of injuries?

I'm going to second the person who said to read the passan report because it really was fascinating and I definitely was missing a lot of the creativity around this (including 7 inning double headers to fit in a 162 season - which is of course interesting because that massively changes how you manage pitchers)

But at least for this part, there was discussion of expanded rosters. This is attractive to mlbpa because of service time accrual.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona

I have to say, the respect I'd have severely appreciate and respect the players for doing this. It is pretty silly to pair sacrifice with players making hundreds of millions during these times, but separating yourself from your family for potentially 4.5 months is a sacrifice from the player and their partners/parents/etc. A lot of these players probably have very little kids, and while they see them little during regular season, there's a big difference between little and none.

6 hours ago, DirtySox said:

It sounds like this could be a possibility, and that's exciting.  A season without baseball in Chicago would be tough, but a season with no baseball at all would be much worse.  I hope to hear more about the plan coming together over the next week or so.

I would think players want to play and would be up for a plan like this.  The separation from their families would be tough, and as a fan I'd recognize that sacrifice.

We can all keep our fingers crossed that this plan happens and keep our toes crossed that maybe by late summer they can move back to playing at home parks.  The next few weeks will be crucial to see what happens with the virus.

I would be in favor of a series of exhibition games this Fall without fans in the seats, but not a partial season of "regular" games under the proposed conditions

The proposal Passan touts feels like something that is a cross between fantasy baseball and the real world.  The play-offs would never be recognized as legitimate and would lack the essential qualities of play-off baseball that make it what it is for fans.

A Fall Training camp/ Exhibition (Cactus and Grapefruit leagues)  with restrictions on fan attendance would provide baseball on TV for fans   to enjoy  (webcast ALL the games) while taking the pressure off the league, its teams and players to concoct some fanciful , fake season. It would also allow young players to continue their development and veterans to keep their skills sharp for 2021. If Exhibition games are cancelled, no big deal and no need to schedule a double dipper in the desert.

Do we know if AZ Covid has peaked yet? Do we know if there will be a recurrence in the Fall ? This season is almost certainly  going to be cancelled.  It's  hard for us to come to terms with that but it is what it is. Buckle up buttercups.

Edited by tray

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I'm going to second the person who said to read the passan report because it really was fascinating and I definitely was missing a lot of the creativity around this (including 7 inning double headers to fit in a 162 season - which is of course interesting because that massively changes how you manage pitchers)

But at least for this part, there was discussion of expanded rosters. This is attractive to mlbpa because of service time accrual.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona

I have to say, the respect I'd have severely appreciate and respect the players for doing this. It is pretty silly to pair sacrifice with players making hundreds of millions during these times, but separating yourself from your family for potentially 4.5 months is a sacrifice from the player and their partners/parents/etc. A lot of these players probably have very little kids, and while they see them little during regular season, there's a big difference between little and none.

I did read it. Unless you're going to a full 40-man, injuries could be playing a factor.

I just can't believe the number of people (not just on this board but on Twitter, etc.) that don't want something like this to happen.  As of right now, this is the best option for us to actually see White Sox baseball this season.  A season we were all so excited about, a season that will be very important to the development of this team into the perennial contender we think it can be.

If the MLB, union, and players agree to this, and the public health officials give it the green light, why wouldn't we as fans want this?  Will it be weird?  Yeah.  Will it suck not being able to see a game in person?  Hell yes.  But you what would really suck?  No baseball for a fucking year.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m sure I’m in the minority on this, but I hate this idea.  I also think a lot of players will object to being away from their family for five months.

It would be easy enough to schedule teams with extended off days of 3 to 4 days. They are already on the road for more than half of their season. I don't believe it would be much different. 

Latest statement from MLB is saying this is one of the plans they are considering, but no plan (including this one) is anything more than an idea.  No formal discussions have taken place.  No agreements are in place.  However, they have to have multiple plans ready to go if (when) health officials state it's okay to start moving forward.