ESPN: MLB looking at May start, all games in AZ, several changes

soxfan49

38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not, but it's different. Heat+no humidity+fast infields=very different baseball

How are we to know that arizona is in fact the correct place to play baseball, and we have instead been playing in fake baseball environments?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Would it? What are ten or 15 of those guys going to do? You can't be expected to play all of them

Practice and be ready in case someone gets injured. Not ideal but they'll have players ready to go.

• Like 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

"It was one of his favorite phrases and he often repeated it: "after awhile, you could get used to anything". -Camus

It will take about a week of games with no fans before everybody has "gotten used to it".

amen. And after a week of games, the thought of none at all will seem painful, not a better solution to the ones who don't want it at all now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd hazard a guess less than 5% of the US population is old enough to remember WWII, it might even be less.  If you were 18 in 1943 and served a bit you're now 91.

So doesn't really apply.  

Also worth pointing out for the record, they didn't stop playing baseball during WWII.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

"It was one of his favorite phrases and he often repeated it: "after awhile, you could get used to anything". -Camus

It will take about a week of games with no fans before everybody has "gotten used to it".

If it that much of an issue go to a simulated screen of previous crowds. Simulate the crowd noise for the appropriate play. No one will know the difference, just like the alleged moonlanding. 😄

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

amen. And after a week of games, the thought of none at all will seem painful, not a better solution to the ones who don't want it at all now.

Let me clarify by saying that I'm sure I'll be perfectly content. It will just be a SIGNIFICANTLY more casual situation. This situation/proposal strips back just about everything that makes the Sox more than any other baseball team to me. 

44 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Oh yea do some deep fake holograms in the stands.

How about everyone who is watching the game gets an avatar and you can have them cheer or boo or go crazy. Make it real interactive

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 3

Since we will be in Arizona...Can we go back to the days of guys getting their running work in the outfield during the game.  You could change the rules to let them be pinch runners throughout the game...Adam Engel could be on base most innings. 😁

2 hours ago, mqr said:

I think there is functionally no difference between not having a world series and having a virtual world series that everyone watches by themselves on their couch. 

This is how I watch the World Series every year anyway, it makes zero difference to a lot of us

• Like 4

4 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I just can't believe the number of people (not just on this board but on Twitter, etc.) that don't want something like this to happen.  As of right now, this is the best option for us to actually see White Sox baseball this season.  A season we were all so excited about, a season that will be very important to the development of this team into the perennial contender we think it can be.

If the MLB, union, and players agree to this, and the public health officials give it the green light, why wouldn't we as fans want this?  Will it be weird?  Yeah.  Will it suck not being able to see a game in person?  Hell yes.  But you what would really suck?  No baseball for a fucking year.

I don't like the trend of any optimism being shot down. It's like some want everything shut down until May or June 2021 by gosh and nothing else matters. Once the toilet paper supply got stocked high enough in most Americans' homes, people don't want to risk anything. Well folks we have to get back to some sort of normalcy or the world is over as we know it. We need an economy folks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

If it that much of an issue go to a simulated screen of previous crowds. Simulate the crowd noise for the appropriate play. No one will know the difference, just like the alleged moonlanding. 😄

Yep you can have fake crowd noise pumped in like the canned laughter on TV sitcoms. If it adds to the enjoyment why not? 

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Right and I'll watch and be entertained. 

But losing out on the attended games, the packed bars, celebrations with friends etc. will make any success 99% less enjoyable to me.

Of course it will be less enjoyable but this is probably the new normal, maybe for the rest of time. So we have to get used to it. Why not now? If this virus gets contained and we immediately get hit with another one, a different strain caused by our eating things like bats, worldwide sports are gone forever, folks.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

How are we to know that arizona is in fact the correct place to play baseball, and we have instead been playing in fake baseball environments?

Baseball was invented in NY/New England so that is the correct climate dipshit. (just ball busting) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I apologize if this has been stated already but...

Let's say the most optimistic outcome happens where this whole thing kicks off in AZ during late May/early June. The entire country starts flattening the curve, and things begin to go back to normal by mid June. Social distancing orders begin to lift and non-essential companies open back up. Gathering limits begin to lift.

One would imagine that teams could eventually could go back to playing in their home ballparks no? Instead of playing out the entire season in AZ? 

This assumption is of course based on the most optimistic outcomes one could hope to have.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

I'm sorry but that plan is stupid. No way should players be that isolated with nothing to do or families to see for 5 months. And to make it worse, they are gonna sit in stands six feet from one another? No mound visits? Let me guess defenders will also have to sit out and let a computer determine plays and if a a players would have been tagged out at home. If they are gonna play at least play for real. The game still needs to feel authentic to some degree. 

26 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I apologize if this has been stated already but...

Let's say the most optimistic outcome happens where this whole thing kicks off in AZ during late May/early June. The entire country starts flattening the curve, and things begin to go back to normal by mid June. Social distancing orders begin to lift and non-essential companies open back up. Gathering limits begin to lift.

One would imagine that teams could eventually could go back to playing in their home ballparks no? Instead of playing out the entire season in AZ? 

This assumption is of course based on the most optimistic outcomes one could hope to have.

People are gonna die at a high rate until August. There will still be social distancing during the summer to avoid another ride up to a peak. They are saying now 85k people will die by August even with strict social distancing efforts. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm sorry but that plan is stupid. No way should players be that isolated with nothing to do or families to see for 5 months. And to make it worse, they are gonna sit in stands six feet from one another? No mound visits? Let me guess defenders will also have to sit out and let a computer determine plays and if a a players would have been tagged out at home. If they are gonna play at least play for real. The game still needs to feel authentic to some degree. 

Your concerns are legitimate but FWIW, Rosenthal seemed to imply today that families might be allowed to stay with the players after all

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mqr said:

I don't think that is remotely true. These are the most extraordinary set of circumstances any of has ever encountered. 

I don't see how whether the games were played vs. fans or without fans makes one iota difference on who the champion.  I don't watch a game at home to see the fans in the stands, I watch for the game. Every once in a while it can be cool to here the crowd noise or chants during a game (but that is really limited and definitely only in the playoffs).  And I guarantee the leagues can come up with some cool ones to integrate virtual fans from their couches into the games.  

I really don't understand why people are so hung up on not having fans there.  Now it would be different if you couldn't tag players or slide or do normal things the game actually calls for.  Like if football, for example, would be done but instead of "tackling" once a defender was within 6 feet the play was blown dead...okay that would suck.  

7 hours ago, mqr said:

Let me clarify by saying that I'm sure I'll be perfectly content. It will just be a SIGNIFICANTLY more casual situation. This situation/proposal strips back just about everything that makes the Sox more than any other baseball team to me. 

And make up for the lack of fan noise with more integrated in game experience.  Try to get more real time sounds from the dugout and/or live stream the conversations between the manager/pitching coach and the bullpen phone, etc.  Maybe have a microphone on the catcher for his visits with the pitcher.  

50 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

And make up for the lack of fan noise with more integrated in game experience.  Try to get more real time sounds from the dugout and/or live stream the conversations between the manager/pitching coach and the bullpen phone, etc.  Maybe have a microphone on the catcher for his visits with the pitcher.  

Might want to not have the Astros playing in those games...

• Like 2