ESPN: MLB looking at May start, all games in AZ, several changes

soxfan49

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Makes sense. 

Unfortunately it does.  Once we get through this wave all summer sports can resume, but probably all with no fans.  Economically most of the leagues make their money with the TV and advertising deals.

My own opinion is that the 2020 season  will be cancelled.  My hope is that a vaccine gets discovered, tested, approved and made available prior to Spring Training 2021. Perhaps the 2021 season can be moved back a month or two if that would help.    I don't know how the Great Depression impacted attendance at games and ticket prices  but  if  the economy  continues to tank,  tickets for 2021 games should be reduced dramatically. However, that would be a tough pill to swallow for franchises that might already be on the brink of Bankruptcy by then.  How many could sustain the loss of revenue for an entire season ? 

Better idea just have an AZ and an FL league. Players can drive around to get to games and wear masks. Who will be first to have masks on eBay with team logos. Night games only. It would be uplifting to have some games in the weirdest season ever. 

Scheduling will be very interesting with this one. You can't just pick up where the original 2020 schedule left off...at least not with the same divisions. That would give unfair advantages and disadvantages. You'd most certainly either have to completely change the schedule and completely revamp divisions. 

For some distraction and to take this seriously, the interesting implications are the Sox and Twins now having most of the season with their pitching depth Twins will start with hill, but lose a bigger chunk with Pineda.

Sox can comfortably bring up kopech,  not worry about innings, and will have Rodon within a month.

Gio also had some more time to rest and a shorter season to manage. 

And with cease as well, no innings restrictions worry.

53 minutes ago, bmags said:

Uh not me. I definitely want to see these dudes.

No idea how anyone would prefer no season when 1) our core will be accruing a year of service time either way and 2) we’ll all be going stir crazy from social distancing / quarantining.  Three or four month of White Sox baseball on TV sounds like a gift from the gods right now.

• Like 3

I don't understand how player contracts would be re-structured to adjust for a partial season where the revenue from the games would be drastically reduced.

Would every player have to agree to a percentage and would that take into account the loss of revenue from not having fans at the games?

Would there be a few players who, like LeBron , would not want to play in games without fans ?

Would the teams with grapefruit league ST facilities agree to play all of their games in AZ ?

What happens when one guy on a team tests positive, and then another?  Everybody keeps getting tested every day?

We are so screwed with this fvking virus.

I would think this would be the only way there will be baseball this season. It's not likely, but like somebody said, what is the policy going to be when a player or coach tests positive? Also, it's fricking hot in Arizona in the summer and I don't think it's reasonable that the players are going to play a majority of their games over 100 degrees out. It'd be much easier to just cancel the season and wait for the vaccine.

Ultimately it may come down to $$. Will the players earn enough to make it worthwhile? Will the teams make enough off the TV deals to make it worthwhile? Will there be a policy regarding what to do when somebody comes down with the virus?