Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
soxfan49

ESPN: MLB looking at May start, all games in AZ, several changes

Recommended Posts

My sons first baseball game was vs brewers, Palka hit a GW 3 run homer. Even watching Palka would bring joy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how I would feel if I were a resident of AZ...hopefully things will be under control by then, but 1000’s of people suddenly flooding 1 relatively small area doesn’t seem like the best ideas in general. Guys would be coming from all of the US + other countries. 

 

I want baseball of course...I just think if they can’t play in home stadiums by July (fans or not), we are unfortunately going to be in more trouble than we realize. But I don’t think that will be the case, I think they will get at least 1/2 a season in regular stadiums 

 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

July thru September outside in AZ are no joke. I assume they’d play night games, but it’s actually humid during those months in addition to being 100+ every day. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

July thru September outside in AZ are no joke. I assume they’d play night games, but it’s actually humid during those months in addition to being 100+ every day. 

 

Pitchers would get destroyed. I can’t imagine how hard and fast those infields will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

July thru September outside in AZ are no joke. I assume they’d play night games, but it’s actually humid during those months in addition to being 100+ every day. 

 

Rainouts would make it nearly impossible....Mid July through Mid September is Monsoon season and there's a thunderstorm every other day. (according to my cousin who has lived there for 25 years) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Rainouts would make it nearly impossible....Mid July through Mid September is Monsoon season and there's a thunderstorm every other day. (according to my cousin who has lived there for 25 years) 

Your cousin is wrong. IIRC, the Phoenix area doesn't get more than 5" of rain for the entire summer and usually not more than 10" for every rolling 12 months.

Humid yes, but monsoons? No.

 

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pitchers would get destroyed. I can’t imagine how hard and fast those infields will be.

Like Ballpark at Arlington every game. I get heat stroke just thinking about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tray said:

I don't understand how player contracts would be re-structured to adjust for a partial season where the revenue from the games would be drastically reduced.

Would every player have to agree to a percentage and would that take into account the loss of revenue from not having fans at the games?

Would there be a few players who, like LeBron , would not want to play in games without fans ?

Would the teams with grapefruit league ST facilities agree to play all of their games in AZ ?

What happens when one guy on a team tests positive, and then another?  Everybody keeps getting tested every day?

We are so screwed with this fvking virus.

 

This has all already been decided. Passan and Rosenthal wrote about. Players will get paid for the number of games they actually play based on their regular salary. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 teams play their spring training games in Florida. Where will they play? At least a few teams (chw/lad) share facilities. Do all of these facilities have lighting appropriate for playing nighttime professional baseball games?

I think we are a long way from publicly-attended games of any kind. People *may* start to return to work and stores later this summer, but I think having events with 20-50k people is much further away than most think.

Edited by skooch
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Your cousin is wrong. IIRC, the Phoenix area doesn't get more than 5" of rain for the entire summer and usually not more than 10" for every rolling 12 months.

Humid yes, but monsoons? No.

Parkman’s cousin is somewhat wrong.
It’s monsoon season June 15 til the end of September. Not usually a ton of rain, but definitely some violent thunder and windstorms from time to time. It is humid - not Texas or Chicago humid - but humid enough when combined with 110 degrees that outside work isn’t easy.

Most construction work is done by 2pm. Road construction is done at night. Being outside during the day is no joke. It’s not even comfortable to swim - the sun is so brutal. I hardly ever swim before dinner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Parkman’s cousin is somewhat wrong.
It’s monsoon season June 15 til the end of September. Not usually a ton of rain, but definitely some violent thunder and windstorms from time to time. It is humid - not Texas or Chicago humid - but humid enough when combined with 110 degrees that outside work isn’t easy.

Most construction work is done by 2pm. Road construction is done at night. Being outside during the day is no joke. It’s not even comfortable to swim - the sun is so brutal. I hardly ever swim before dinner.

That's was my understanding of what "monsoon season" was. If it has little to do with rain and more to do with windstorms, then that was my misinterpretation of it. I just heard "monsoon" and made an assumption. I assumed they were quick T storms that lasted maybe 30 mins or so that came and went, usually at night, kinda like what happens in the Tampa, FL area all summer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know guys. These feel like pretty surmountable obstacles. For instance, there is an AZL, and a professional baseball team in Phoenix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus isn't the heat & humidity technically good (i.e., harder to spread the virus in those conditions).  I am 110% for baseball and I think it isn't until the next sports seasons where we see games with fans (and I am 1000% okay with that).  I think one of the big things that will be needed is the US to have really strong testing (across the nation...to the point where we have lots of tests and thus the professional athletes can be regularly tested for safer monitoring).  My guess is certain coaches/players may need to follow more stringent guidelines.  

I don't care if the fans aren't there, getting live sports on will be a huge morale boost for the country.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I proposed a while back using five stadiums in the northeast with six teams at each stadium and they could rotate around. Again, without fans. They could film three games per day at each stadium. I was thinking using NY, Boston, Baltimore, and Philly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized, if all games are in Arizona...

Adam Engel is gonna be a god damn All Star.

  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Texsox said:

I proposed a while back using five stadiums in the northeast with six teams at each stadium and they could rotate around. Again, without fans. They could film three games per day at each stadium. I was thinking using NY, Boston, Baltimore, and Philly. 

Whether you play in AZ or the Northeast, the problem of containment will still exist.  Right now a person can be contagious for several days without symptoms. So if you test everyone and then start playing and a player/coach gets sick, the whole team would have to be quarantined.  So that team and possibly the  opponent(s) they played would have to withdraw from games  for a period of time.  Until they find a cure or till it stops spreading so easily, I don't see how sports can take place,    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some thoughts:

I'm not sure why they wouldn't station half the teams in Florida and half in AZ. This has made the most sense for a while. Beyond this - you have broadcast times. It's hot in both locations - so games will have to be at night. You can't have Yankees games starting at 10pmEST. It's going to be a weird year regardless - but maybe some kind of East Coast v West Coast league. 

 

Otherwise I guess it's not me - but I'd guess you'd have doubleheaders of sorts --- which is pretty easy considering you don't have to take fans out of the stadiums. You just have the two teams warming up at a practice field - and then they come over as soon as the first game is finished. East coast games start at like 4pm (7EST) and then west coast games at like 730pm. 

 

Things I'd consider:

7 inning games

30+ man rosters

etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Whether you play in AZ or the Northeast, the problem of containment will still exist.  Right now a person can be contagious for several days without symptoms. So if you test everyone and then start playing and a player/coach gets sick, the whole team would have to be quarantined.  So that team and possibly the  opponent(s) they played would have to withdraw from games  for a period of time.  Until they find a cure or till it stops spreading so easily, I don't see how sports can take place,    

If we look at this as binary, that we either play as business as usual in thirty stadiums and full air travel or not at all then the problem of course is there. I see a more cautious restart with less travel being something to consider.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bmags said:

a professional baseball team in Phoenix.

They have a roof for a reason though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mqr said:

They have a roof for a reason though

And, among other things, that stadium is available.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, bmags said:

Uh not me. I definitely want to see these dudes.

Yah.  IDGAF if the season takes place in AZ.  Just give me some White Sox baseball.  That is miles and miles better than no season.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Not sure how I would feel if I were a resident of AZ...hopefully things will be under control by then, but 1000’s of people suddenly flooding 1 relatively small area doesn’t seem like the best ideas in general. Guys would be coming from all of the US + other countries. 

 

I want baseball of course...I just think if they can’t play in home stadiums by July (fans or not), we are unfortunately going to be in more trouble than we realize. But I don’t think that will be the case, I think they will get at least 1/2 a season in regular stadiums 

 

PHX as a city (not including the suburbs where most games are) is the 10th largest city by land area in the country.  They are already the 5th-6th biggest population in the country, it's a large city and metro area.  

Edited by Chi Town Sox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 7:56 AM, SonofaRoache said:

Gonna be tough to get excited about a season in minor parks with no fans. The game just won't be as exciting. 

Seriously?  Bruh I've never wanted anything sports related so bad.  I DGAF if they are playing on an iceberg.  Just play games!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Seriously?  Bruh I've never wanted anything sports related so bad.  I DGAF if they are playing on an iceberg.  Just play games!

Iceberg lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×