ESPN: MLB looking at May start, all games in AZ, several changes

soxfan49

You can't make plans like this unless you know what will be going of with this pandemic in the next several months ...and we don't.

Or as Ruth on Ozark might say, "How the fuk can you start a baseball season when you don't even know if this pandeemic or whatever you call it, is done yet?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKrGyObt6ocL_VJMwbJtj

Edited by tray

6 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm sorry but that plan is stupid. No way should players be that isolated with nothing to do or families to see for 5 months. And to make it worse, they are gonna sit in stands six feet from one another? No mound visits? Let me guess defenders will also have to sit out and let a computer determine plays and if a a players would have been tagged out at home. If they are gonna play at least play for real. The game still needs to feel authentic to some degree. 

I bet most of the ballplayers would love to play the game they love and get paid handsomely even in these conditions. Those are both important things: their love of the game and the $$$ they make playing it. I think they can handle being isolated until they can return to their own ballparks for games.

6 hours ago, tray said:

You can't make plans like this unless you know what will be going of with this pandemic in the next several months ...and we don't.

Or as Ruth on Ozark might say, "How the fuk can you start a baseball season when you don't even know if this pandeemic or whatever you call it, is done yet?

You can’t make plans? Of course you can make plans. 

• Like 1

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/07/coronavirus-testing-173607
Why the US isn’t on track to open up...hint, they’re all related to testing.  This article looks at exactly where things are today and what needs to change before restarting the economy can safely begin.  

Unless all or most of these issues are resolved or billionaires can circumvent the problems...it’s going to be extremely difficult to move forward with any of the MLB plans under consideration.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, bmags said:

You can’t make plans? Of course you can make plans. 

You have to make plans.  I'd bet that the AZ plan is just one of several depending on what happens over the next few weeks.  The national social distancing "order" will be either relaxed or extended at the end of the month.  The CDC recommended social distancing through May 15.  A lot can happen between now and then.  If the curve is flattening and health officials give some sort of green light, MLB and other sports will have to make a decision fast.  If they wait to get a green light to make plans, they'd be weeks to months away from making anything happen.

Edited by hogan873
Spelling error!

Major league baseball issued  the following statement:

“MLB has been actively considering numerous contingency plans that would allow play to commence once the public health situation has improved to the point that it is safe to do so. While we have discussed the idea of staging games at one location as one potential option, we have not settled on that option or developed a detailed plan. While we continue to interact regularly with governmental and public health officials, we have not sought or received approval of any plan from federal, state and local officials, or the Players Association. The health and safety of our employees, players, fans and the public at large are paramount, and we are not ready at this time to endorse any particular format for staging games in light of the rapidly changing public health situation caused by the coronavirus.”

Passan is feeding into false hope.  Several players, including Chris Sale,  have expressed concerns about being quarantined for four months in AZ away from their families.

Bottom line is that no plan is on the table and won't be until this thing is under control.   It is what it is.

15 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That would be great.  Like in some sort of community plex the team hosts?

Sort of. I think they'd just be allowed to stay in the hotel (or wherever the players are staying) with the players.

If for whatever reason that does not work, it was also implied that as the season goes on and the virus (hopefully) becomes less of a threat, restrictions could be lowered progressively. Meaning families could be allowed to stay once it is deemed allowable by health organizations

11 hours ago, tray said:

Or as Ruth on Ozark might say, "How the fuk can you start a fing baseball season when you fing don't even know if this fing pandeemic or whatever the f you call it, is done yet?

fixed

• Like 1

https://theathletic.com/1731160/2020/04/07/hard-to-pull-off-players-want-baseball-back-but-some-question-arizona-idea/?source=dailyemail

I personally don’t think that everyone would go for it,” (Alex) Wood said. “I think (the Arizona plan is) a possibility if we know for certain that that’s the only way we can play baseball. Does that make sense? I don’t have kids or anything like that. I’m down for whatever. I just want to play ball.”

A survey by The Athletic of players and managers, some of whom requested anonymity, about the framework of the Arizona plan revealed a combination of excitement and apprehension. Expressions of hope were leavened by concerns about the safety of support staffers, the desert heat, the difficulty of maintaining quarantine and the strain of being separated from their families.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The MLB  one location thing has not cleared a single hurdle in regard to the CDC or anything.

Federal officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the National Institutes of Health have been supportive of a plan that would adhere to strict isolation, promote social distancing and allow MLB to become the first professional sport to return.

• Thanks 1

I don't think a May start is feasible but at some point the thirst for revenue will overwhelm both the owners and the union. Obviously nothing is close at the moment, and I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise, but I also think people are being too dismissive

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't think a May start is feasible but at some point the thirst for revenue will overwhelm both the owners and the union. Obviously nothing is close at the moment, and I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise, but I also think people are being too dismissive

Don't read any of Nightengale's posts on Twitter.  He's the biggest naysayer out there.

Reading some other articles by other writers, it seems like MLB wants to start up as soon as possible (without safety and health risks), and playing at in regular stadiums, even without fans, is the most desirable.  Heyman mentioned that the league is pretty much resigned to at least starting the season without fans, whether it's at home parks or in AZ.

I think they'll get it done, one way or another.  It's only early April.  the next 4-6 weeks will be crucial to getting back to "normal", whatever that looks like.

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

The thirst for revenue will overwhelm both the owners and the union. ... I also think people are being too dismissive

You are right. No matter what some people think, the economy does matter not only to sportsworld but every American. This country can't afford to shut down all of 2020. The scientists and all the experts should be working on compromise plans to get the country going again as soon as possible. Instead of that I suggest the majority of people desperately want to stay holed up. They feel safe and sound in their new routines: I.e. they've got plenty of toilet paper and can get deliveries from stores or can go to the stores and that's perfect in their eyes until they are 100 percent SURE COVID-19 is over. I say find a way to play ball and find a way to get things running again. Isn't china up and running now? Isn't Russia? Has North Korea even acknowledged any cases hit there? Hmmmm.

https://news.yahoo.com/north-koreas-official-coronavirus-count-172000898.html

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You are right. No matter what some people think, the economy does matter not only to sportsworld but every American. This country can't afford to shut down all of 2020. The scientists and all the experts should be working on compromise plans to get the country going again as soon as possible. Instead of that I suggest the majority of people desperately want to stay holed up. They feel safe and sound in their new routines: I.e. they've got plenty of toilet paper and can get deliveries from stores or can go to the stores and that's perfect in their eyes until they are 100 percent SURE COVID-19 is over. I say find a way to play ball and find a way to get things running again. Isn't china up and running now? Isn't Russia? Has North Korea even acknowledged any cases hit there? Hmmmm.

You finally said something "trophy" worthly.. Damn you, ya old bastard, damn you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Again, we have a thread for politics related to COVID, let's keep this stuff to baseball.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You finally said something "trophy" worthly.. Damn you, ya old bastard, damn you.

Thanks Squirm,

I am passionate about certain issues and I am upset so many people, including very smart people, won't even consider reopening America before May or June of 2021. I'm telling you the world cannot be on hold that long. America will not surive and so many will die because of lack of food, $$. Nobody but the truly elite will have any money. It will be intersting if all other countries open up and we act scared, remain closed for business for 18 months. Would China attack a weakened America? Would Russia? Would they both? Let's be reasonable and play ball soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they held AZ and FL games you could have three indoor games daily at Phoenix and Tampa with four outdoor games in each state. One team in each state would have a bye. Might be the best of a bad situation. 

Latest models show fewer cases in Illinois, the curve is flattening in NY and Louisiana.  Seems as if the social distancing is working.  Still a ways to go, but we could be seeing the light at the end of a long tunnel.  This could allow for the season to start, in some fashion, by early summer.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Latest models show fewer cases in Illinois, the curve is flattening in NY and Louisiana.  Seems as if the social distancing is working.  Still a ways to go, but we could be seeing the light at the end of a long tunnel.  This could allow for the season to start, in some fashion, by early summer.

Hopefully it continues. But am worried about a couple of things, once the "curve" seems to be headed downward, people thinking it's over and sliding back to closer to norms, and the warming weather will make people want to go out more. I went to the grocery store yesterday afternoon, and left immediately. Way too crowded. I am pretty scared of this thing as my wife has asthma, and she cannot get this under any circumstance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Hopefully it continues. But am worried about a couple of things, once the "curve" seems to be headed downward, people thinking it's over and sliding back to closer to norms, and the warming weather will make people want to go out more. I went to the grocery store yesterday afternoon, and left immediately. Way too crowded. I am pretty scared of this thing as my wife has asthma, and she cannot get this under any circumstance.

Social distancing will be a thing until at least August. It is common knowledge that if we ease up on it we may have to start this process over again. It's important that we keep informed about what the scientists and doctors are saying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Social distancing will be a thing until at least August. It is common knowledge that if we ease up on it we may have to start this process over again. It's important that we keep informed about what the scientists and doctors are saying. 

They should move the Coaching Boxes back and make the Coaches stay in them.

• Like 1

Just now, oldsox said:

They should move the Coaching Boxes back and make the Coaches stay in them.

They could draw lines on the field to limit each player's area for defense;) You can see how the contact sports have a much bigger problem.