Your All Time White Sox team

Define it however you'd like.  Your favorite players.  The guys that in your opinion were the best.  Combination of the two.  Whatever you want.  

Here is mine:

C --  Carlton Fisk

1B -- Paul Konerko

2B-- Eddie Collins

SS-- Luke Appling

3B -- Robin Ventura

LF --  Minnie Minoso

CF -- Lance Johnson

RF--  Harold Banies

DH - Frank

SP Ed Walsh

SP Mark Buehrle

SP Billy Pierce

SP Jack McDowell

SP Chris Sale

Closer : Bobby ..... Thigpen

I'd hit them ... Minoso (R), Collins( L), Thomas(R), Konerko(R), Ventura(L), Fisk(R), Baines(L), Appling(R), Johnson(L).

My worst choice was leaving Magglio off.  He was one of my all time favorite players, but so was Baines.  I really wanted to cheat and say Minnie could man CF, to bring them both, but didn't want to go that route.  Also I could have obviously DHed Baines and moved Frank to 1B, but Pauly needed to be in there more than Magglio.

Appling vs. Aparicio was a difficult choice as well, with 2 great options.  I ended up taking Appling simply because played for the Sox and no one else, and Aparicio had 8 seasons with other teams.  

I had to go with Bobby Thigpen, because literally my first memory of White Sox baseball is listening to my games with my Dad, and hearing John Rooney say "Thigpen ready" and it became the thought that went through my head every time, in the backyard, when I came set.  

18 minutes ago, MnSoxFan said:

Johnson for CF is a bit weak. Jungle Jim Rivera may be a better choice. Think we had a guy named Roush back around 1920s who was outstanding. Shoeless Joe maybe could have played CF.

I was going to name Shoeless but he mostly played in the corners (LF/RF). 

C- A.J. pierzynski 

1b - paulie

2b - Eddie collins

SS - Luke appling 

3B - robin ventura

LF - Minnie Minoso 

CF - joe Jackson

RF - Harold baines

dh - frank Thomas 

sp - ed walsh

sp - chris sale

sp - Mark Buehrle 

sp - billy pierce 

sp - ted Lyons 

cL - Keith foulke 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

C - AJ Pierzynski

1B - Paul Konerko

2B - Tadahito Iguchi

3B - Joe Crede

SS - Juan Uribe

RF - Jermaine Dye

CF - Aaron Rowand

LF - Scott Podsednik

SP - Mark Buehrle

SP - Jose Contreras

SP - Freddy Garcia

SP - Jon Garland

CL - Bobby Jenks

Hard to argue there.  Hahaha.  Nicely done.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 10:49 PM, turnin' two said:

Define it however you'd like.  Your favorite players.  The guys that in your opinion were the best.  Combination of the two.  Whatever you want.  

Here is mine:

C --  Carlton Fisk

1B -- Paul Konerko

2B-- Eddie Collins

SS-- Luke Appling

3B -- Robin Ventura

LF --  Minnie Minoso

CF -- Lance Johnson

RF--  Harold Banies

DH - Frank

SP Ed Walsh

SP Mark Buehrle

SP Billy Pierce

SP Jack McDowell

SP Chris Sale

Closer : Bobby ..... Thigpen

I'd hit them ... Minoso (R), Collins( L), Thomas(R), Konerko(R), Ventura(L), Fisk(R), Baines(L), Appling(R), Johnson(L).

My worst choice was leaving Magglio off.  He was one of my all time favorite players, but so was Baines.  I really wanted to cheat and say Minnie could man CF, to bring them both, but didn't want to go that route.  Also I could have obviously DHed Baines and moved Frank to 1B, but Pauly needed to be in there more than Magglio.

Appling vs. Aparicio was a difficult choice as well, with 2 great options.  I ended up taking Appling simply because played for the Sox and no one else, and Aparicio had 8 seasons with other teams.  

I had to go with Bobby Thigpen, because literally my first memory of White Sox baseball is listening to my games with my Dad, and hearing John Rooney say "Thigpen ready" and it became the thought that went through my head every time, in the backyard, when I came set.  

After looking over your list, I'm going to agree. Looking at the bench having AJ, Maggs, and Aparicio available would make it easy for any manager. The batting order doesn't feel right but I haven't come up with a better one. How would flipping Ventura with Konerko and Baines with Fisk look? Thomas is a lock in the 3 spot so he would be followed by Ventura (L), Konerko (R), Baines (L) and Fisk (R). I was even looking at Baines in the 4th spot . . . 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

After looking over your list, I'm going to agree. Looking at the bench having AJ, Maggs, and Aparicio available would make it easy for any manager. The batting order doesn't feel right but I haven't come up with a better one. How would flipping Ventura with Konerko and Baines with Fisk look? Thomas is a lock in the 3 spot so he would be followed by Ventura (L), Konerko (R), Baines (L) and Fisk (R). I was even looking at Baines in the 4th spot . . . 

The first time I did it, I had Robin 4th, because that's how they always hit.  I also looked at it with Baines 4th, but in the end, I thought that was overthinking it.  I think that of those 3 guys ( Paulie, Ventura, and Baines), Paulie is just plainly the best guy to hit 4th.  The lineup balance with those guys, well I think it is pretty negligible.  It isn't like Konerko struggled against RHP at all, so it isn't a weakness to have Thomas and Konerko back to back.  In terms of pure pop, and hitting, I thought Konerko was the guy to hit 4th. The guys at 5-6-7-8 I could really seen an case for any of them being in any position.

I could also see the the top being fairly interchangeable with Appling, Collins, and Minoso.  All of those guys could hit anywhere in the lineup.  Collins feels like a perfect 2 hitter in today's game.  High Avg, High OBP, lots of XBH ( in todays game, I'd be many of those would now be HRs, but even if they weren't...I'd also bet he wouldn't be stealing 40+ bases a season in today's game).  Minnie had more pop than Appling, so maybe he is better off more in the middle of the lineup?  I do love the SB combination that Collins and Minoso offer (and Johnson to boot), that could cause some havoc and distraction in front of Frank and Co.  

And I left Jackson off, well, really for no good reason.  I just love Minnie and put him in LF.  The best way to get him in would be to sub him for Johnson and have either Jackson or Minnie in CF.  That is obviously a much better offensive team.  Then maybe I'd go Collins-Jackson-Thomas-Konerko-Minoso-Ventura-Fisk-Baines-Appling.

Just off the top of my head, mainly favorites:

1B: Big Hurt. 2B: Durham. SS-Ozzie. 3B-Robin. LF-Zisk. CF-Lemon. RF-Dye. C-Fisk. P-Buehrle, Hoyt, Peters, Horlen, Jenks. DH-Dick Allen

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Just off the top of my head, mainly favorites:

1B: Big Hurt. 2B: Durham. SS-Ozzie. 3B-Robin. LF-Zisk. CF-Lemon. RF-Dye. C-Fisk. P-Buehrle, Hoyt, Peters, Horlen, Jenks. DH-Dick Allen

Ozzie was a mediocre to bad player the majority of his career. Interesting choice. 

On 4/7/2020 at 6:45 AM, SoxAce said:

I was going to name Shoeless but he mostly played in the corners (LF/RF). 

Johnny Mostil, great fielder, real high OBP. 5 really strong years in the 1920's, 6 if you count 1921with only 378 plate appearances . Legend has it that he once caught a foul ball while playing CF in a ST game I think. An interesting character, had life difficulties.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Johnny Mostil, great fielder, real high OBP. 5 really strong years in the 1920's, 6 if you count 1921with only 378 plate appearances . Legend has it that he once caught a foul ball while playing CF in a ST game I think. An interesting character, had life difficulties.

That's amazing .  I really hope its true.  The mental picture is so fun.

Note** My mental picture includes a Dayan Vicedo type LF leisurely taking a couple steps toward the ball.

Edited by turnin' two
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, MnSoxFan said:

Johnson for CF is a bit weak. Jungle Jim Rivera may be a better choice. Think we had a guy named Roush back around 1920s who was outstanding. Shoeless Joe maybe could have played CF.

Johnson career WAR: 30.6. Rivera: 6.7.

On 4/11/2020 at 4:57 AM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Ozzie was a mediocre to bad player the majority of his career. Interesting choice. 

Ozzie Guillen, 29th in defensive WAR from all players in major league history.

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Vulture said:

Ozzie Guillen, 29th in defensive WAR from all players in major league history.

My eye test tells me he was a damn fine SS and a pretty good hitter for a lot of White Sox teams. Me likey Ozzie.