Pandemic Realignment: Sox in the Cactus League West

Quin

The plan would have all 30 teams returning to their spring training sites in Florida and Arizona, playing regular-season games only in those two states and without fans in an effort to reduce travel and minimize risks in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

---

WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/04/10/mlb-realignment-league-considers-radical-move-for-2020-season/5128935002/

Sox are suddenly in a tougher division with no Tigers or Royals to stomp on.

I think the Sox could compete for a wild card in the Cactus League. Especially when you consider that a lot of NL teams weren't preparing for a DH and likely using that roster spot on utility guy.

Dodgers would just be scarier with a DH.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This would be outstanding for the Sox.. Apart from the Dodgers is there any team that is significantly better than the Sox??

Cubs, Indians and A's would be okay.. Then it looks like a shit ton of trash.. 

Man, the Arizona league would be trash compared to Florida.

Lord knows the Padres would somehow become a thorn in our side, because they are our curse.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Quin said:

Sox are suddenly in a tougher division with no Tigers or Royals to stomp on.

I think the Sox could compete for a wild card in the Cactus League. Especially when you consider that a lot of NL teams weren't preparing for a DH and likely using that roster spot on utility guy.

Dodgers would just be scarier with a DH.

Cincinnati and Cleveland are on par with or better than the Sox. The Angels aren't that far behind. That division would be an absolute gauntlet and any of the the teams not named the Dodgers could finish in any order and I wouldn't be shocked. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

32 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This would be outstanding for the Sox.. Apart from the Dodgers is there any team that is significantly better than the Sox??

Cubs, Indians and A's would be okay.. Then it looks like a shit ton of trash.. 

Man, the Arizona league would be trash compared to Florida.

Some of those divisions are super tough. I can handle having the best team in baseball and then other teams on par with us. If they expand the playoffs, and they should we would have a shot to make it. 

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cincinnati and Cleveland are on par with or better than the Sox. The Angels aren't that far behind. That division would be an absolute gauntlet and any of the the teams not named the Dodgers could finish in any order and I wouldn't be shocked. 

Yeah this division would seem to be a worst case scenario for the Sox. Did they mention why the Sox would be in that division and not the Cubs?

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah this division would seem to be a worst case scenario for the Sox. Did they mention why the Sox would be in that division and not the Cubs?

It's geography based. They're based on location in the Phoenix Metro area. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

Gotcha....yeah the Sox are very possibly the worst team in that proposed division.  

Could be. The 4 teams not named LAD are pretty close though. 

I think the Angels are the clear bottom feeder because their pitching blows. 

It all comes down to Giolito vs. Ohtani coming off TJS. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

This is a cool idea.  It would be a nice change for a season.  Maybe, if this happens, it will spur some discussion about realignment and rule changes going forward.

I agree. I prefer these changes to no baseball at all.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I agree. I prefer these changes to no baseball at all.

Yep. You won't hear me complaining if the Sox play the Dodgers 12 times. It's baseball and our guys are supposed to be developing this year anyway. What better way to take your shots then against a potential future World Series opponent. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, fathom said:

Gotcha....yeah the Sox are very possibly the worst team in that proposed division.  

The Sox advantages are uniquely built for this scenario

• Two All-Star caliber catchers (going off of last season) to endure a lot of double headers.
  • Hopefully, they'll be 7 deep in the rotation once you add Kopech and Rodon.
  • Lots of power up and down the line up. If pitchers get screwed over by the air in Arizona, balls will be flying out of the park.
  • Building off of the above point Arizona Engel.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Quin said:

The Sox advantages are uniquely built for this scenario

• Two All-Star caliber catchers (going off of last season) to endure a lot of double headers.
  • Hopefully, they'll be 7 deep in the rotation once you add Kopech and Rodon.
  • Lots of power up and down the line up. If pitchers get screwed over by the air in Arizona, balls will be flying out of the park.
  • Building off of the above point Arizona Engel.

This is huge if they're going to be playing frequent double headers.

45 minutes ago, Quin said:

Grapefruit League South is a bloodbath. 

Cactus League West is worse. There are no pushovers. The GL South has the Marlins. 

I would have picked the Reds to challenge the Cubs for the NLC. Sox vs Indians is a tossup, and the Angels are mediocre, but not flat out bad. They also have Mike frickin Trout and Anthony Rendon.

That being said, baseball in 2020>>>no baseball in 2020

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

In many ways a fun division to watch.  Far better baseball to watch and great competition for our young guys to hone their skills against.  It's a fact that competing at a higher level improves you own skills.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

This is huge if they're going to be playing frequent double headers.

Absoluterly!  Two solid catchers is a luxury under normal conditions.  In this compressed season format... an absolute advantage.

• Like 1

I’d rather see them swap facilities, move one team to the other league (Rockies in AL for one year), make Florida AL and Arizona NL for 16/14, no divisions, balanced (or close to balanced) short season, top 6 in each league make the postseason, and with any luck, have the postseason played in the real home parks  in October.

18 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Is there any team worse than the Sox in that division?  It looks like 3 or 4 .500ish teams plus the Dodgers.  Much tougher than the AL Central.

I will note that they really stuck it to the Yankees with that North division......