Pandemic Realignment: Sox in the Cactus League West

Quin

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I wrote about this realignment for today if anyone is interestedhttps://southsidehitpen.com/2020/04/12/possible-2020-realignment-how-it-affects-the-white-sox/

Great article...thanks.  With the younger squad and 2 allstar catchers, I would love to see what the Sox would do playing extra double headers.  It would be strange to see the games with no crowds but it would be terrific to have live baseball back in any form.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They absolutely will if it's the only way they get paid. This is the one thing that people are blowing way out of proportion. By the time this would theoretically start, the social distancing practices would be lessened. It'll be realistic for these guys to have their families with them in June. Especially in Arizona where there isn't even a stay at home order in place. I love my father. If he had to leave the family for 4 months to make $10 million though, I would've quickly gotten over it. 

Most of us would drive him to Arizona to avoid the plane ride.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

Hard to see how the MLB starts until the situation gets under control. Unlike the NFL and NBA the MLB is mostly gate driven.

If attendance isn't there the economics don't work.

More fans will watch on TV as they can't watch in person. I also expect MLB to shorten games and increase playoff teams to keep fans watching longer. You may see them adjust the service time clock to let teams bring up studs early to be competitive. This results in a boatload of ad revenue opportunities they wouldn't normally have. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

More fans will watch on TV as they can't watch in person. I also expect MLB to shorten games and increase playoff teams to keep fans watching longer. You may seem them adjust the service time clock to let teams bring up studs early to he competitive. This results in a boatload of ad revenue opportunities they wouldn't normally have. 

The networks are also struggling for new content right now as filming has shut down for most things and NBC has lost the olympics. The major networks would jump at live content right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The networks are also struggling for new content right now as filming has shut down for most things and NBC has lost the olympics. The major networks would jump at live content right now.

Exactly. ESPN is re-running the 2008 spelling bee.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I'm wondering if there would be a chance to eventually get back to the regular stadiums but keep this alignment. Why stay there in September if we're back to work?

There has to be some consideration of what happens if teams could go back to their home fields (with or without crowds) at some point.  I'm sure what MLB would ultimately like to do is have teams play at regular stadiums, but if they want to get something going sooner rather than later, they'd almost certainly have to go with some variation of the spring training sites plans.

I would think that if they make the decision to play at spring training sites, they may just stick with it for the season.  Hopefully we will all have a better idea of what's going on over the next few weeks.

My first impression was:  this switch would make our divisional prospects worse.  My second impression was:  ...but maybe this switch would make our League prospects (including wild card chances) better, and that ultimately matters more.  My third impression was:  who cares?  It would be different and crazy and this already promises to be a bit of an "experimental" year anyway.  That's where I am now.

11 hours ago, WilliamTell said:

Why even have divisions if everyone is so close in proximity? If they're going to have the Cactus and Grapefruit Leagues for a season just take the top 4 teams of each league and have a playoff..

I'd feel pretty good about that.  Not hard to imagine the Sox finishing top 4.

14 hours ago, WilliamTell said:

Why even have divisions if everyone is so close in proximity? If they're going to have the Cactus and Grapefruit Leagues for a season just take the top 4 teams of each league and have a playoff..

4 playoff teams doesn't make any sense financially. The playoffs are expanding and this is the trial balloon. My guess is 7 playoff teams in each league. Three 1st round series and a bye. The owners need the television revenue that extra playoffs will provide if they carve 60-70 games off the schedule and don't have fans in the stands. Less playoffs isn't an option. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

4 playoff teams doesn't make any sense financially. The playoffs are expanding and this is the trial balloon. My guess is 7 playoff teams in each league. Three 1st round series and a bye. The owners need the television revenue that extra playoffs will provide if they carve 60-70 games off the schedule and don't have fans in the stands. Less playoffs isn't an option. 

Might be a good season to experiment.

31 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Even better.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Does anyone still have hope for baseball in 2020? 

Yes.  It's mid-April, and some lightening of restrictions by mid-May is expected...at least in some areas.  Baseball could still start as late as early July and squeeze in 90+ games without going too far into October.

I'd love to see baseball with fans eventually this year, but that's probably wishful thinking.

The next 2-4 weeks will be crucial.

• Thanks 1