Pandemic Realignment: Sox in the Cactus League West

Quin

So I saw someone post an idea, that actually makes a lot of sense. Disney World and the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Right now, you've got 33 empty, massive hotels, sitting within a contained, Disney property.  Not some run down 5 story Radison or Holiday Inn in suburban Phoenix. Enough where you could go 1 hotel per team. These properties are also big enough where people could live for an extended period of time and not get stir crazy. (workout rooms, walking paths, pools, etc)

You've got a massive complex, with multiple fields (some of course too small for MLB to play on) but at least one where the Braves used to have Spring Training. You've also got at least 2 indoor stadiums that Basketball could easily use to create some kind of playoff system. Florida has deemed sports "essential" and these properties have a media infrastructure already in place. 

You can get from the hotels to the Wide World of Sports, without leaving the Disney complex via shuttle bus. (again, contained environment) You've got enough rooms in the hotels, where you could move players up/down floors or to different rooms if you are even concerned about the cleaning crews coming in once a week. Food service is already in place at each hotel as well.

Was just at the Wide World of Sports complex in February, quite impressive. 

Not the worst idea I've ever heard. 

48 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

No one here is saying baseball is 100% happening. It's an easy acknowledgement to say that there are a ton of obstacles.  But health officials, government officials, business leaders, sports execs, and the athletes have all made some sort of comment that they are still trying to make it work/think it could work.

Dumping cold water on everybody that is discussing this as a possibility is asinine. Baseball in 2020 is still a possibility. Saying otherwise is wrong.

You said it yourself, no one knows for sure what's going to happen. So who is to say we are definitely not having baseball? Every scientist you claim to be listening to is just another one fitting your argument. There are also health officials saying it's possible. The negativity from so many people is exhausting.

Like this guy?

• Love 2

On 4/15/2020 at 7:22 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The vast majority of TV revenue is generated by the big market teams.  They can not only afford it they will profit greatly.  The small market teams would get killed.  They will need a lot of help to break even.  

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team whose payroll exceeds their revenue from mlb along with their local TV deals. Each team gets over 30 million from mlb merchandising, web, etc, 30 million from national TV deal plus their local TV deals. Tampa gets 85 million per year, for example. Pretty sure that exceeds their payroll. Not to mention the hoards of cash from what they have been raking in over recent years.

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Just sayin what’s up to a homie, homie.

Been busy getting all online courses designed due to college closing and working in the hospital because they needed help . I know many are out of work but my work has doubled. Haven't had much time. Busier than when I was traveling with teams. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Been busy getting all online courses designed due to college closing and working in the hospital because they needed help . I know many are out of work but my work has doubled. Haven't had much time. Busier than when I was traveling with teams. 

At least you’re not punching walls and connecting with beams! Godspeed, brother.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

I was out of work for 4 months and on Workers Comp until the Post Office finally offered me a job doing custodial work at the beginning of the pandemic. I was a letter carrier for 30 years until I had a 2nd herniated disc in my back . I also have COPD and RA so lung and immune system problems so naturally I get hired back to be a janitor cleaning toilets and sticking my face in other peoples garbage and being among the public despite being high risk for catching it and you can also throw in being over 60 years old yet I still don't qualify according to my health plan to get tested. Fun times. Have to have symptoms which I don't luckily. Don't understand the policy of waiting til you're sick to get tested since you can have it for a week or 2 and spread it without exhibiting symptoms . Doesn't seem to be the brightest way to stop the spread. Baseball would be a welcome enjoyment.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was out of work for 4 months and on Workers Comp until the Post Office finally offered me a job doing custodial work at the beginning of the pandemic. I was a letter carrier for 30 years until I had a 2nd herniated disc in my back . I also have COPD and RA so lung and immune system problems so naturally I get hired back to be a janitor cleaning toilets and sticking my face in other peoples garbage and being among the public despite being high risk for catching it and you can also throw in being over 60 years old yet I still don't qualify according to my health plan to get tested. Fun times. Have to have symptoms which I don't luckily. Don't understand the policy of waiting til you're sick to get tested since you can have it for a week or 2 and spread it without exhibiting symptoms . Doesn't seem to be the brightest way to stop the spread. Baseball would be a welcome enjoyment.

Dang. Good luck and hope things get better. One of our nurses who worked in the COVID ward had to have a fever for 4 days before they tested her. She tested negative twice . Then after she had a fever for 9 days she finally tested positive. It's weird. 

You are right any baseball in any form would be welcome.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Because there aren't enough tests to actually do that.

Best of luck man, some of us are in the same boat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Dang. Good luck and hope things get better. One of our nurses who worked in the COVID ward had to have a fever for 4 days before they tested her. She tested negative twice . Then after she had a fever for 9 days she finally tested positive. It's weird. 

You are right any baseball in any form would be welcome.

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because there aren't enough tests to actually do that.

Best of luck man, some of us are in the same boat. 

Thank you and good luck to you both .

Just now, ptatc said:

get tested since you can have it for a week or 2 and spread it without exhibiting symptoms . Doesn't seem

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You could be one of the lucky ones who has built up resistance. Just think of the preacher who died after insisting God would protect him while holding service during a lockdown. I am so glad I gave him a post-dated check.