Expanded Roster Speculation

Quin

Shooting off of the ESPN thread, it seems like any solution of baseball returning has a lot of double headers and expanded rosters.

I don't think we're getting 40 man rosters (too many clocks start), but my guess is 32.

Who do you guys having making an expanded 32-man roster?

Assuming the Active Roster on the site is accurate, that leaves 5 spots if we're counting a healthy Rodon in the mix.

For the last five spots, my guesses are...

Collins: Sorry Yermin Squad, need the semi-passable glove.

Madrigal: No time to play service time games.

Heuer: Good spring - and that's the environment they'll be pitching in.

Fulmer: Gets his last shot due to his spring performance

Edit: Kopech. Not Burdi, I dumbed.

On 4/10/2020 at 5:46 PM, Quin said:

Shooting off of the ESPN thread, it seems like any solution of baseball returning has a lot of double headers and expanded rosters.

I don't think we're getting 40 man rosters (too many clocks start), but my guess is 32.

Who do you guys having making an expanded 32-man roster?

Assuming the Active Roster on the site is accurate, that leaves 5 spots if we're counting a healthy Rodon in the mix.

For the last five spots, my guesses are...

Collins: Sorry Yermin Squad, need the semi-passable glove.

Madrigal: No time to play service time games.

Heuer: Good spring - and that's the environment they'll be pitching in.

Fulmer: Gets his last shot due to his spring performance

Burdi: This is my wildcard pick, but Burdi having a 40 man spot pushed me over the edge a bit.

You mean 6 spots. 

Also, we were already talking about the final roster spot in another thread before this whole thing started so might as well make it 7. Guys like Romine and Cuthbert have a good chance of sticking if its 30-32 spots.

Collins, I would have starts in the minors but who knows whats going on with minor league seasons this year.

20 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

You mean 6 spots. 

Also, we were already talking about the final roster spot in another thread before this whole thing started so might as well make it 7. Guys like Romine and Cuthbert have a good chance of sticking if its 30-32 spots.

Collins, I would have starts in the minors but who knows whats going on with minor league seasons this year.

Right now there's 27 on the active roster - they've still got Ian Hamilton on there.

At this point, I feel like teams will throw service time concerns out the window, so I don't forsee them leaving Madrigal down in whatever form of the minors are to bring Cuthbert or Romine to - hypothetically - Arizona. Madrigal is going to need a 14 day quarantine to join the roster at any point, so now they might as well just bring him along.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Right now there's 27 on the active roster - they've still got Ian Hamilton on there.

At this point, I feel like teams will throw service time concerns out the window, so I don't forsee them leaving Madrigal down in whatever form of the minors are to bring Cuthbert or Romine to - hypothetically - Arizona. Madrigal is going to need a 14 day quarantine to join the roster at any point, so now they might as well just bring him along.

Then Kopech should be on the team if you're going to throw service time concerns out the window.

I think it'll be a 30 man roster.  

Rotation (6): Giolito, Kuechel, Cease, Lopez, Gonzalez and Rodon (if ready; if not ready, Kopech)

Pen (9): Colome, Bummer, Cishek, Cordero, Fry, Marshall, Herrera, Fulmer, and Hamilton 

Lineup (9): Grandal, Abreu, Madrigal, Anderson, Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Mazara and Encarnacion

Bench (6): Engel, Mendick, McCann, Collins, Delmonico and Romine 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It appears for all intents and purposes, there will be no minor league season, so injuries and roster shuffling should be interesting if they do play.

I hadn't read that?  IF MLB resumes, why wouldn't MILB?  Just because they have no where to play?

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, makes sense I suppose.  

Personally, I don't think the major leaguers wind up playing either. I don't know how you play in AZ every day when it's 112, or in FL were it rains almost daily in the summer, and is a hot, humid, mess. But I hope they do.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Personally, I don't think the major leaguers wind up playing either. I don't know how you play in AZ every day when it's 112, or in FL were it rains almost daily in the summer, and is a hot, humid, mess. But I hope they do.

And what happens if one player on a team gets CV.  Will that team be isolated for two weeks while everyone else plays?

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They'll do it if it's the only way they get paid. They aren't getting paid unless they play baseball. 

22 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They'll do it if it's the only way they get paid. They aren't getting paid unless they play baseball. 

I think you are right, but I still don't think they play. Like fathom writes, what happens when one guy tests positive? The NBA shut down. And I think the weather is a concern, as is the rest of the roster. How do you call guys up if someone gets hurt?  How do minor leaguers get enough work? Play on backfields in AZ during the afternoon in the middle of summer? 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

And what happens if one player on a team gets CV.  Will that team be isolated for two weeks while everyone else plays?

I do not know what the answer to this is, because by the time you've recognized that one person had it, they've been exposed to the ball or their teammates and the opposition for several days, any of which could have become a transmission pathway. But, if the league has a solution to that which the Players Association agrees to (Thank god they're unionized), then they could make this work. If they can't overcome that issue, then there's no sports until there's a vaccine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I think you are right, but I still don't think they play. Like fathom writes, what happens when one guy tests positive? The NBA shut down. And I think the weather is a concern, as is the rest of the roster. How do you call guys up if someone gets hurt?  How do minor leaguers get enough work? Play on backfields in AZ during the afternoon in the middle of summer? 

I've only been to the backfields during the daytime, but don't they have lights?