Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

4 hours ago, Soxsi75 said:

3-4 months yes, I agree.  2 months? Which is what it would be if they start in late Summer? That would be a joke. You can't have a 55-60 game season. 

If we're locked indoors all summer after Texas's cases surge around the end of May, and somehow MLB has all their players and staff isolated and can run 2 months as the only new thing on TV...Hell put it on pay per view. I'll figure out some way to swing it.

We have been discussing possible scenarios where the MLB could play a "season" where teams could possibly play in warm weather sites or their own sites as well as realignment and limited games. I wonder if MLB has done similar planning for minor league baseball. I spend the summer in New England and yesterday the RI Governor pretty much closed down any events w 50 or more people involved. RI has a AAA team which would be affected since two teams would have at least 50 people. 

It got me thinking that even if MLB got some sort of season going, we could also see the minor leagues assemble  play in warm weather sites in the fall /winter so they do not also lose a whole year of minor league development.    

40 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

We have been discussing possible scenarios where the MLB could play a "season" where teams could possibly play in warm weather sites or their own sites as well as realignment and limited games. I wonder if MLB has done similar planning for minor league baseball. I spend the summer in New England and yesterday the RI Governor pretty much closed down any events w 50 or more people involved. RI has a AAA team which would be affected since two teams would have at least 50 people. 

It got me thinking that even if MLB got some sort of season going, we could also see the minor leagues assemble  play in warm weather sites in the fall /winter so they do not also lose a whole year of minor league development.    

Minor leagues are done for the year it sounds like 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Flash said:

So if no season, WS say goodbye to Edwin Encarnacion, Kelvin Herrera, Alex Colome, James McCann and possibly Gio Gonzalez. With Gonzalez, Encarnacion and Herrera never logging an inning as a WS and any McCann (and possibly Colome) trade value mitigated. Oh well

Those team options on Encarnacion, Cishek, Gonzalez, and Garcia look pretty good now

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I think they would keep Gonzalez for 2021 in a swingman/spot starter role too. Maybe EE as well, though that depends on how Vaughn develops.

That was my question about minor league baseball. . If there are no minor league games this year, we probably won't see guys develop.  

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

That was my question about minor league baseball. . If there are no minor league games this year, we probably won't see guys develop.  

They will likely play minor league games on backfields or at spring training sites. There's no way they put these guys on ice for a year. 

9 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They will likely play minor league games on backfields or at spring training sites. There's no way they put these guys on ice for a year. 

Yep. A short season of all intrasquad games would be my guess. Unless they are allowed to "practice" with other teams.

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Agree but that might not translate into development especially at the AAA level.  

If the play starts in July or a bit earlier with the divisions proposed the Sox make out like bandits imo.   They'd be playing mostly stinkers while a team in the west or east would have to run a gauntlet, especially the east.

What's the playoffs in that scenario two wild cards and then the 3 "division" winner with best record  faces the WC play-in winner in the "semi finals" and the other two division winners square off in the other?

47 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If the play starts in July or a bit earlier with the divisions proposed the Sox make out like bandits imo.   They'd be playing mostly stinkers while a team in the west or east would have to run a gauntlet, especially the east.

What's the playoffs in that scenario two wild cards and then the 3 "division" winner with best record  faces the WC play-in winner in the "semi finals" and the other two division winners square off in the other?

There's obviously nothing decided, but in that mess you might as well start mid-September and do a round-robin with like the top 16 teams each playing best of 5 or something like that. Gets more teams involved, gets you more content for Tv. 

How long is it going to take to get the teams ready for the season? Traditionally, spring training is about six weeks. Seems to me a decision to reassemble the teams will have to be made within 14 days or so if they want to start by July 1. 

Will they all just train in Florida since the Florida governor has been insisting corona hasn't been a big problem there?

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

How long is it going to take to get the teams ready for the season? Traditionally, spring training is about six weeks. Seems to me a decision to reassemble the teams will have to be made within 14 days or so if they want to start by July 1. 

Will they all just train in Florida since the Florida governor has been insisting corona hasn't been a big problem there?

No.  They’re businessmen first and foremost.  They will trust scientific analysis over political pronouncements.   Heck, they will trust insurance brokers that issue their organization-wide policies over politicians as well.  

Edited by caulfield12

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

No.  They’re businessmen first and foremost.  They will trust scientific analysis over political pronouncements.   Heck, they will trust insurance brokers that issue their organization-wide policies over politicians as well.  

Yeah but politicians have the right to keep the parks to gatherings of 10 people or less like they are doing restaurants, etc. These politicians are soooo cautious right now.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Yeah but politicians have the right to keep the parks to gatherings of 10 people or less like they are doing restaurants, etc. These politicians are soooo cautious right now.

Well, they’re no different than university presidents.  Open too soon, you risk hundreds if not thousands of lawsuits if it spreads across an entire campus.  Wait too long, at least you can argue you were doing everything possible to protect students’ health.  In which situation are administrators more likely to be fired?

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, they’re no different than university presidents.  Open too soon, you risk hundreds if not thousands of lawsuits if it spreads across an entire campus.  Wait too long, at least you can argue you were doing everything possible to protect students’ health.  In which situation are administrators more likely to be fired?

Great point. One other point. Caulfield did you see Kansas announced it would have class first semester starting in August just a couple days after Missouri first announced it? Kind of sinister. You know it will not happen if COVID is still out there for reasons you suggest. But KU had to announce this to get the $$$, to get the kids signed up for first semester of the 2020-21 school year. If not ... Mizzou might get all the kids. I guarantee you no decision has been made on classes.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Great point. One other point. Caulfield did you see Kansas announced it would have class first semester starting in August just a couple days after Missouri first announced it? Kind of sinister. You know it will not happen if COVID is still out there for reasons you suggest. But KU had to announce this to get the $$$, to get the kids signed up for first semester of the 2020-21 school year. If not ... Mizzou might get all the kids. I guarantee you no decision has been made on classes.

Saw KU on a list of public universities that could have their debt/bond ratings downgraded if this continues into next academic year.

I've been thinking more about this. This season is gonna be very funky. The players already have a built in excuse if they have off years. Pitchers are probably going to be babied cause their arms aren't used to this schedule.

So just have two NCAA type tournaments. All the teams best 2 of 3. Then have a best of 5 title series.

Then do it all over again like we did in Little League. Have the two winners of the two tourneys meet in the World Series in Vegas.

I don't want a regular season; it's too screwed up and wacky. Just showcase the talent and have low-key tournaments. Pls pass this on to the commish!

What about Mon-Fri 5 game series, with Sat-Sun off to be with families?  Every team alternates 1 week home, 1 week away.  If they fly home Friday after their away series wraps up, the players get that Saturday through the next Sunday at home.  Prioritize families, plus you have to throw your best 5 starters out there, good or bad.  

If they start late June or early July that would give about 15 series.  Maybe each team plays each team once for 5 games.  

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

I've been thinking more about this. This season is gonna be very funky. The players already have a built in excuse if they have off years. Pitchers are probably going to be babied cause their arms aren't used to this schedule.

So just have two NCAA type tournaments. All the teams best 2 of 3. Then have a best of 5 title series.

Then do it all over again like we did in Little League. Have the two winners of the two tourneys meet in the World Series in Vegas.

I don't want a regular season; it's too screwed up and wacky. Just showcase the talent and have low-key tournaments. Pls pass this on to the commish!

No.  If they can start in early July as planned, they can still play 80-100 games.  The playoffs will be different for sure.

The season is going to be funky, no doubt.  But the owners, players, and most fans want to see as much baseball as possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

No.  If they can start in early July as planned, they can still play 80-100 games.  The playoffs will be different for sure.

The season is going to be funky, no doubt.  But the owners, players, and most fans want to see as much baseball as possible.

It's hard to see the player's union and the owners coming to any sort of agreement in any league until the scientists say it's safe to do so. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's hard to see the player's union and the owners coming to any sort of agreement in any league until the scientists say it's safe to do so. 

Thanks Jack. We're all aware of this. Every single proposal requires approval from health experts. That's been the case the whole time. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Permission from health experts is a given.  I'm talking about scenarios once (if) the health experts say it's okay.