Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Thanks Jack. We're all aware of this. Every single proposal requires approval from health experts. That's been the case the whole time. 

D'oh! Didn't mean to be captain obvious:lolhitting

Edited by Jack Parkman

27 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why? What changed?

Nothing really. Just don’t think this is going to clear up enough anytime soon for all parties to agree on a structure that actually has a chance of being completed successfully. Hope I’m wrong. Just think things are gonna get ugly as states open back up and we’re basically gonna be right back where we were in mid March. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nothing really. Just don’t think this is going to clear up enough anytime soon for all parties to agree on a structure that actually has a chance of being completed successfully. Hope I’m wrong. Just think things are gonna get ugly as states open back up and we’re basically gonna be right back where we were in mid March. 

I don’t disagree, though this seems encouraging.

• Love 1

If they’re going without fans all season, then it’s not out of the question to have a full neutral site postseason in domes- Miami, Arlington, Phoenix?  In that case, a regular season in home parks could go until Wednesday, October 14, and Game 7 of the World Series would be Wednesday, November 18. So they could play a pretty good amount of games for 3 months if they can get to training by around June 20. 

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Let's just hope that the reopening of the country doesn't affect this timeline.

11 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's great news, hope he's got good info.  

I don't see this news as entirely accurate. There won't be any games if everyone plays at their home park. 

It would really boost a lot of spirits if we have baseball in our home parks. That would be fricking awesome. I still can't believe this bad ass virus is going to be sickening/killing people in June, July and August. That's not traditionally sick season. Heaven forbid how bad it will be in October if we don't find a treatment. But to have baseball this summer would be amazing. Seeing Eloy and Timmy and Moncada and Jose baby and that new right fielder and EE and our young pitchers. Ricky baby managing. Bring.On.Baseball.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

It would really boost a lot of spirits if we have baseball in our home parks. That would be fricking awesome. I still can't believe this bad ass virus is going to be sickening/killing people in June, July and August. That's not traditionally sick season. Heaven forbid how bad it will be in October if we don't find a treatment. But to have baseball this summer would be amazing. Seeing Eloy and Timmy and Moncada and Jose baby and that new right fielder and EE and our young pitchers. Ricky baby managing. Bring.On.Baseball.

I believe it will happen, but it's been so long since we've seen them play it just feels like a pipe dream

• Like 1

Interesting take here...

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/red-sox-pitcher-collin-mchugh-wary-making-return-baseball-mandatory

"I’m a husband, I’m a father. There are many guys in the league with underlying conditions. With preexisting conditions, like diabetes and heart arrhythmias," McHugh said on MassLive.com's "Fenway Rundown" podcast.  "You look at our coaching staffs, there’s tons of guys over 65. Umpires, there’s a lot of guys over 65. When you’re talking about the risk factors here, there are going to be some guys who sincerely have to weigh the risks of what it’s going to take to come back versus staying at home.”

“We’re in a situation right now where you can’t make this mandatory,” he said. “You can’t tell a guy you have to come play or else your roster spot is not going to be here when you come back. You can’t tell a guy to risk his life and the life of his family and the lives of anyone he chooses to be around to come play this game. There’s probably going to have to be some waivers signed and whatever else you need to have done to make guys feel comfortable coming back. Then, MLB and the teams are going to have to do everything in their power so that we go about this in the best way possible and don’t just start playing games, but really set an example of how to do this, how to do it well and how to do it safely.”

“I’m probably in the minority here because I see baseball for what it is, which is an amazing game but not an essential activity,” McHugh said.

26 minutes ago, pcq said:

Big question is what to do if infections occur. High-risk staff need to stand down. 

I'm sure they've thought of it but I still haven't seen a clear answer from any of the major sports about this issue.

If MLB clearly had a case crop up through them, they'd potentially be exposing themselves to an awful lot of liability legally,  and could you imagine the bad press if a manager or coach or player died?