Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

It's still really good..  No baseball or no players that will be FA?  Maybe one player per team?? MAYBE... I doubt any sit out.. They all know there likelyhood to get seriously affected is astronomically low and they know they get $0 if they don't play... It's their only negotiating tool though, so I don't blame them for trying.. But the same amount of Yankees fans will go to the games if Cole is there or not. The same amount of Rays fans will go if Snell is there or not.. The same amount of fans will go if Bryant is there or not. and so on.

You are correct...0 will go in either case this year. 

Will they turn on the TV for them is a more important question. 

If you're a Trailblazers fan and Lillard says "I'm not playing", is that worth watching on TV? (https://sports.yahoo.com/damian-lillard-doesnt-plan-to-participate-in-resumed-nba-season-if-blazers-dont-have-true-opportunity-to-make-playoffs-144736029.html)

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You are correct...0 will go in either case this year. 

Will they turn on the TV for them is a more important question. 

If you're a Trailblazers fan and Lillard says "I'm not playing", is that worth watching on TV? (https://sports.yahoo.com/damian-lillard-doesnt-plan-to-participate-in-resumed-nba-season-if-blazers-dont-have-true-opportunity-to-make-playoffs-144736029.html)

I don't think there will be a significant difference in the viewership if it's only a player or two on each team. If it get above 50% of the team, it's a different story.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:57 AM, ChiSox59 said:

But if whatever minor league affiliate (or frankly any entity, however it is structured) is their employer, and they stop paying them, what stops that guy from filing for unemployment?  

It could be because they are contract labor. I could even believe they are considered seasonal employees. Does I guy collect unemployment if he's cut? 

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't think there will be a significant difference in the viewership if it's only a player or two on each team. If it get above 50% of the team, it's a different story.

So at least for the Angels, since 50% of the team is 1 player...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Ill let the millionaires and billionaires go at it and go about my life

I went back to find this to give proper credit for what I'm sitting here thinking.

I went from I don't care which side wins or loses, let's just play some baseball. Now I'm wishing they both lose. 

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I don't know, what about college football players that sit out of their team's bowl games because they know they'll be high picks in the draft and don't want to risk injury and their future paycheck?

Their teammates get pissed because they "bailed on the team", but the players have that right because they don't want to jeopardize what they're worth.

MLB stars playing for a fraction of what they're worth might see it the same way - why risk injury in a circus of a season for less than they're worth?

College football players are amateurs and none of them should willingly play in exhibition games. That's a completely different argument. 

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

College football players are amateurs and none of them should willingly play in exhibition games. That's a completely different argument. 

They should honor the terms of their college scholarships. 

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So at least for the Angels, since 50% of the team is 1 player...

No its not. While he is the most popular, guys like Rendon, Puljols and Upton will provide quality play from the players. People starved for sports will still watch.

29 minutes ago, Texsox said:

They should honor the terms of their college scholarships. 

Yes. They have the option of dropping out if school if they truly think they are at too much risk and the medical staff doesn't agree. If they have identified risks, it would be the decision of the medical staff and coaching staff.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yes. They have the option of dropping out if school if they truly think they are at too much risk and the medical staff doesn't agree. If they have identified risks, it would be the decision of the medical staff and coaching staff.

If I'm a professional prospect playing in a non BCS level bowl game during my junior year, there's no shot I'm risking my future playing in an exhibition game. I'll never blame guys for that decision. 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If I'm a professional prospect playing in a non BCS level bowl game during my junior year, there's no shot I'm risking my future playing in an exhibition game. I'll never blame guys for that decision. 

I wouldnt blame them either. It's their choice. However, they do have a contract with the school and they may lose that scholarship if they don't abide by it.

On 5/27/2020 at 3:27 PM, Big Hurtin said:

As much as I love professional sports as entertainment, part of me wishes the greed from all sides would cause it to collapse into itself.

Especially with what a lot of people are dealing with in 2020, it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29224973/sources-mlb-proposal-includes-pay-cuts-highest-paid-players

I'm sure you are not alone in this belief.

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

I wouldnt blame them either. It's their choice. However, they do have a contract with the school and they may lose that scholarship if they don't abide by it.

Why would players declaring for the draft care about that though? 

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why would players declaring for the draft care about that though? 

They might. But if they think the risk of playing is that high from their view, they wouldnt have played anyway so it really doesnt matter. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The poorest owner has what, 10x those funds available?

If the A's owners are crying too poor to not pair their rent or minor leaguers (they could if they wanted to), then they're too poor to own a team in a legal monopoly and should be forced to sell.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The poorest owner has what, 10x those funds available?

He also doesn't have to pay all of the workers in the entire organization, once he does this. Imagine the outcry from people if the owners paid the minor league players but didn't pay the parking lot attendants, beer vendors and the rest. Why isn't Price paying for those people? Doesn't he care about them?

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He also doesn't have to pay all of the workers in the entire organization, once he does this. Imagine the outcry from people if the owners paid the minor league players but didn't pay the parking lot attendants, beer vendors and the rest. Why isn't Price paying for those people? Doesn't he care about them?

I agree with you, ownership should pay all of those people.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I agree with you, ownership should pay all of those people.

While it would be nice, why should they pay people who aren't working and it's not under their control? If the owners purposely have them not working thats one thing. But when they are told that their workers can't work and you can't have revenue, it's a tough call.

• Thanks 1

There is a scene in the Jungle where Jurgis is working on a farm. It's after the harvest and he learns that the farmer is sending him on his way. Posed with the same question, why should I pay you if there is no work, Jurgis looks at the farmer's horse and explains the horse has no work, yet you will feed and house him all winter, aren't people worth the same? 

• Like 2